Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

I don't claim to know what is going on but the Engineers that played us earlier this year were a very very good hockey team and were rightfully picked to finish in the top half of the league by everyone. You don't deserve this.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
      Rock bottom missed extra point
      How is YGC (your great coach) gonna get a new goalie for next year
      The football analogies are getting quite annoying
      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        I don't claim to know what is going on but the Engineers that played us earlier this year were a very very good hockey team and were rightfully picked to finish in the top half of the league by everyone. You don't deserve this.
        Thank you for your kind words.

I don't know what's going on, either.

I saw RPI play a game last week against a Princeton team which has now won four games in the last three weeks against teams ranked in the top 10 at the time of the games. And RPI should have beaten them.

I believe there is enough talent on this team to have a much better record than they do.

But right now, that record is 3-16-1 with 15 games left in the regular season, and I can't point to a single one of those 15 and say that I expect RPI to win it.

It is not inconceivable that RPI could lose all 15 of those games, plus two more in a first-round playoff series against the fifth place team, and finish the year with a 21 game losing streak for a final record of 3-33-1.

That, of course, is not what I want to see.

But if it does come to pass, I would expect Seth Appert to resign. I have a hard time imagining that he would want to put himself through four more years of this, no matter how much money his contract might guarantee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I saw RPI play a game last week against a Princeton team which has now won four games in the last three weeks against teams ranked in the top 10 at the time of the games. And RPI should have beaten them.

I believe there is enough talent on this team to have a much better record than they do.

But right now, that record is 3-16-1 with 15 games left in the regular season, and I can't point to a single one of those 15 and say that I expect RPI to win it.

It is not inconceivable that RPI could lose all 15 of those games, plus two more in a first-round playoff series against the fifth place team, and finish the year with a 21 game losing streak for a final record of 3-33-1.

But if it does come to pass, I would expect Seth Appert to resign. I have a hard time imagining that he would want to put himself through four more years of this, no matter how much money his contract might guarantee.
          Coaches don't quit after bad years. I also don't expect he will be fired, even though this will be his third 20plus loss season.

All the talk about past and present ADs making this kind of decision is naive. Extending a coach's contract for 7 years and eating 4 years of a contract to move a coach out are decisions most often made by
          The president, especially this president. She will have the final say, so I expect at least one or two more seasons with this head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
            Coaches don't quit after bad years. I also don't expect he will be fired, even though this will be his third 20plus loss season.

All the talk about past and present ADs making this kind of decision is naive. Extending a coach's contract for 7 years and eating 4 years of a contract to move a coach out are decisions most often made by
            The president, especially this president. She will have the final say, so I expect at least one or two more seasons with this head coach.
            I don't think Shirley takes enough interest in athletics to have even thought about offering a contract extension, much less one for 7 years, without it having been proposed and heavily sold by the colonel. Why he thought it was necessary for a coach whose record to that point was nearly 40 games under .500 is a mystery.

Comment

as others on here have suggested - one possibilty is how Wisconsin dealt with a seemingly similar situation: http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015...istant-coaches

obviously it didn't work for Eaves, but if they're committed to honoring the HC contract, then this is probably the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I expect the law of averages to give us a few more wins.

One thing I would like to add is that RPI has employed a man named Brian Cain on at least a few occasions. He is supposedly an authority on mental conditioning and sports psychology https://***********/BrianCainPeak?lang=en. To me that is something that is severely lacking recently. It does not appear that the team believes it can win.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by son-of-alumn View Post
                  as others on here have suggested - one possibilty is how Wisconsin dealt with a seemingly similar situation: http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015...istant-coaches

obviously it didn't work for Eaves, but if they're committed to honoring the HC contract, then this is probably the only option.
                  That is a great article. I don't know if we have the same recruiting problems as mentioned, but the on ice performance of the team seems to indicate a lack of communication with the players.
                  These guys played much better as a team in October. Now, they don't even look like a team.
                  Aside from what looks like a coaching failure, I have to question the character of the upperclassmen on this team. We need to find one good leader.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

One thing I would like to add is that RPI has employed a man named Brian Cain on at least a few occasions. He is supposedly an authority on mental conditioning and sports psychology https://***********/BrianCainPeak?lang=en. To me that is something that is severely lacking recently. It does not appear that the team believes it can win.
                    I too would not expect this team to lose all of it's remaining games. There a handful of winnable games, and maybe they'll beat/tie a team or two they should lose too. Still a lot of time.

I would say of all this team's issues right now, which are many, the biggest is probably the mental effecting the physical. This team currently expects the worst to happen, and because of that it does.

I didn't like the schedule this year when I first saw it for a few reasons. As a fan, I didn't like to see a large number of home or road games bunched together. More importantly for this team, I didn't like that they didn't have a single whole weekend off during the first half of this season. They've just had to grind through everything, even when it went from bad to worse. For the first time this season, they can now collectively catch their breath and regroup

While by no means is this the cause of all the issues on this team, it at least gives them a chance to take a step back. Hopefully it helps them play better in the second half of the season.

Comment

too inflammatory so i deleted it

nothing to see here , move on
                      Last edited by blocker; 12-11-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Ralph - that's a huge red flag to me, it also indicates he feels he and his staff can't get them there either. To the point where he's on the bench? Not a good look, not inspiring to the coaching staff or players either. Not to mention he looks less than professional in that picture. Really?
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by blocker View Post
                          I remember a time when many of the "fans" on this board were berserk because of the last coaches performance. Harsh things were said and he was hounded by the many who still post here until he was removed. I am so happy that you got what I wished for you. We are being consistently humbled, record and recruiting wise. buy a a school with 2500 students . Maybe one of those people could compare the previous coaches record to the current one .
                          I think I will pull some of the old posts from that era if possible. I wonder why this coaches leash appears to be so much longer than the last ones?
                          USCHO has purged old posts more recently than when Fridgen left.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think I kept more than a few Ralph. I will look.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                              Ralph - that's a huge red flag to me, it also indicates he feels he and his staff can't get them there either. To the point where he's on the bench? Not a good look, not inspiring to the coaching staff or players either. Not to mention he looks less than professional in that picture. Really?
                              Do the first "he" and "his" refer to SA while the other two "he"s refer to Brian Cain?
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

barring a miracle run, 2016-17 would be his fifth season of 20+ losses (following 2014-15, 2011-12, 2008-09, 2007-08). He has one 20-win season (2010-11) but has reached 18 wins in three other seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X