Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Would this have happened if they made tourney and lost first game?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      There would be less pressure, but there would still be heavy talk on the subject.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        Grant Potulny should be high on Minnesota's list
        Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        In five or six years.
        Scotty Bowman was only 34 when he first became the head coach of the St. Louis Blues. Don Lucia was only 29 when he became head coach at Alaska Fairbanks.

Grant Potulny is 38, so age should not be a factor.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Scotty Bowman was only 34 when he first became the head coach of the St. Louis Blues. Don Lucia was only 29 when he became head coach at Alaska Fairbanks.

Grant Potulny is 38, so age should not be a factor.
          It's not age. It's experience and his C.V. He has almost none at the head coaching level. Also, we're aren't Fairbanks. Scotty Bowman is arguably the greatest professional coach in the history of the NHL. You're comparing apples to hdmi cables.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Couple of thoughts:

- Yes, its a sad day. Primarily because a major player in the programs history went from being such a great designer of a team...to what he became the last few years.

- I'm guessing the top strategic reasons Lucia was let go were 1) diving attendance 2) in state rival record

- The top issue with making the move has been the replacement. Coaching candidates in possible order of preference:

Sandelin 0% interest, not happening
            Motzko 10% interest, in all probably not happening
            Hastings 40% interest, possible but not super likely
            'A handful of other great national coaches' 10% interest, Minnesota just doesn't attract non Minnesotans
            Guentzel 95% interest, possible...but does it solve the programs issues?
            Potulny 95% interest, not likely...just not enough tenure
            The collection of Stauber, Ramsey, etc. just don't seem qualified.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Potulny is about 0.5%. You can take that to the bank. You're not wrong about Sandelin. Motzko is probably 30:70 out. Hastings is less likely than Motzko. Guentzel is probably going to be the next head coach.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                I see them. I lurk on GPL and the SiouxSports forums. I know he has a boner for Motzko. I guess I just assumed that when one of the only two coaches that has won your school a national title leaves the program, you wait more than 10 minutes to throw dirt on the grave.
                I hear ya. Over the past season or so I'm less and less surprised by the things he says.
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Probably Guentzal for 5-7 years as a caretaker, then Potulny.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

You guys know Merrimack is also looking for a coach? How can you compete with that package??
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      You guys know Merrimack is also looking for a coach? How can you compete with that package??
                      We're ****ed
                      Code:

Comment

Dean Blais
                        Dave Hakstol
                        Mike Eaves

Comment

It's not age. It's experience and his C.V. He has almost none at the head coaching level.
                          Just saying age alone should not be a factor. Obviously there are other considerations.[/QUOTE]

Scotty Bowman is arguably the greatest professional coach in the history of the NHL.
                          Yes, and prior to becoming head coach in the NHL his only prior experience was coaching Canadian juniors, and then as an assistant for less than a half a season at St. Louis.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Just saying age alone should not be a factor. Obviously there are other considerations.

Yes, and prior to becoming head coach in the NHL his only prior experience was coaching Canadian juniors, and then as an assistant for less than a half a season at St. Louis.
                            If Grant Potulny is as good of a coach as you think he is, he'll be available and more than willing to come back in 5-10 years. Whenever our next coach decides he's had enough or our state "Minnesotas" another coach.
                            Code:

Comment

Minnesota Hockey: Don Lucia Steps Down as Gophers head coach

“I want to thank Mark Dienhart for giving me a tremendous opportunity 19 years ago. I came to Minnesota because of the tradition, and I hoped to add to the tradition when I left. I am proud of the 14 banners that have been added to the rafters of 3M Arena at Mariucci. I am forever grateful to all the coaches, staff and most importantly the players who have worked so hard to accomplish this over the years,” said Lucia. “Most importantly to me, we did it the right way. Our players all graduate and have always represented themselves to the high standards of Gopher Hockey on and off the ice. It has been a tremendous honor and privilege to be the head hockey coach at the University of Minnesota.” - The Daily Gopher

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X