X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
    I can't believe that this is true, that when the hiring of Souza is announced, it will also be announced that Umile will be retiring the year after next, to be replaced with someone with a record that is as thin as Souza's is. Mind you, I think Mike is a great guy, at least he was in all the interactions I had with him back when he was a player. And I do think he is an earnest, hard working, up-and-comer. But to think that he would be anointed the new coach would be mind boggling to me. It would lead me to ask Marty Scarano, what happened to the notion that you would only hire someone with Division 1 head coach experience? If Umile was going to designate someone as his successor, why wouldn't it be the man who has been his chief recruiter for the last 12 years rather than someone who is just establishing himself. Just doesn't make any sense.
    I can't argue with anything you say Greg. But the discussion sure does liven up the dog days of the off season. What is hockey's equivalent of the hot stove league?
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray
      I wonder if with this tidbit floating around out there, whether UNH is almost forced to put something out to dispel this rumor? Otherwise, they may run the risk of it taking on a life of its own, and no response might only invite folks to assume it's true and run with it. Throw in the potential sticky wicket of appearances of nepotism, and I'd like to think UNH would want to defuse this issue ASAP. Unless it's true.
      Geeze Chuck besides taking Boreks pic off the website they haven't even formally announced his departure as far as I know? Agree it should be squelched in some way but I won't hold my breath 😶
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I can't believe that this is true, that when the hiring of Souza is announced, it will also be announced that Umile will be retiring the year after next, to be replaced with someone with a record that is as thin as Souza's is. Mind you, I think Mike is a great guy, at least he was in all the interactions I had with him back when he was a player. And I do think he is an earnest, hard working, up-and-comer. But to think that he would be anointed the new coach would be mind boggling to me. It would lead me to ask Marty Scarano, what happened to the notion that you would only hire someone with Division 1 head coach experience? If Umile was going to designate someone as his successor, why wouldn't it be the man who has been his chief recruiter for the last 12 years rather than someone who is just establishing himself. Just doesn't make any sense.
        I wonder if with this "nephew" tidbit floating around out there, whether UNH is almost forced to put something out to dispel this rumor? Otherwise, they may run the risk of it taking on a life of its own, and no response might only invite folks to assume it's true and run with it. Throw in the potential sticky wicket of appearances of nepotism, and I'd like to think UNH would want to defuse this issue ASAP. Unless of course it's true ... but I agree, so much of this makes no sense. Maybe Cavanaugh is just PO'ed and dropped this on Mike Anthony??
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I wonder if with this "nephew" tidbit floating around out there, whether UNH is almost forced to put something out to dispel this rumor? Otherwise, they may run the risk of it taking on a life of its own, and no response might only invite folks to assume it's true and run with it. Throw in the potential sticky wicket of appearances of nepotism, and I'd like to think UNH would want to defuse this issue ASAP. Unless of course it's true ... but I agree, so much of this makes no sense. Maybe Cavanaugh is just PO'ed and dropped this on Mike Anthony??
          I just don't know where the reporter got his information from regarding the relationship between Umile and Souza. It's one thing to report that Souza is leaving UConn for UNH. But it appears that are trying rationalize the decision by saying Souza is to become the head coach and then imply that the only reason that is happening is that he is Umile's nephew. Incredibly sloppy or, worse, vindictive. Vindictive because Mike Souza dares leave UConn? I guess they play hardball down there. And if Cavanaugh is PO'd about the move, what do you think Umile's reaction would be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg A View Post
            I just don't know where the reporter got his information from regarding the relationship between Umile and Souza. It's one thing to report that Souza is leaving UConn for UNH. But it appears that are trying rationalize the decision by saying Souza is to become the head coach and then imply that the only reason that is happening is that he is Umile's nephew. Incredibly sloppy or, worse, vindictive. Vindictive because Mike Souza dares leave UConn? I guess they play hardball down there. And if Cavanaugh is PO'd about the move, what do you think Umile's reaction would be?
            Oh I can tell you Coach U will not like that....just a feeling..Dang these rumors and how fast they fly!!!

Comment

On a totally unrelated note TvR will play again tonight...

Comment

To recap what was said this morning:
                The UConn hockey feature writer for the Hartford Courant tweeted that "sources" said Souza is leaving UConn and will be named Associate HC and "head coach in waiting" at UNH.
                The same Courant writer asked HC Cavanaugh about it and he said "no comment".
                A writer for SBNation subsequently posted an article called "Souza Leaves UConn for UNH" and wrote that Souza "is Dick Umile's nephew". To date there has been no official announcement about any of this.
                Last edited by C-H-C; 06-10-2015, 11:38 AM.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  A writer for SBNation subsequently posted an article called "Souza Leaves UConn for UNH" and wrote that Souza "is Dick Umile's nephew".
                  ProJo's Mark Divver tweeted that they are not related. This is... fun?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    If you knew your job would end in 2 years, you'd look for a good landing spot if it came along. He had been waiting for a top spot but I think the U Conn/ UMass ones were the last real opportunity. When Steve Miller retired it was a good chance to put together a new 10 year gig.
                    The real question is why Souza would leave a building potential longer term track U Conn job (and Chuck, it was a lateral move, he was just promoted to Associate coach). Perhaps he thinks he can get his foot in the door in the next 2 years to be considered when the top spot opens up.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Would think most Asst Coaches are hoping for that very same thing Stewart or Souza being no different. AND would agree with Greg that UNH would open the position if and when it comes time to do so.

But what do we know just a bunch of speculatin' fools...on a message board...on a big blue ball...hanging out in space...😉
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Getting your foot in the door and being anointed the successor are, to me, two different things. As I said before, Umile announcing his retirement and naming as his successor an assistant at three different D1 schools, none of which have had any level of success, would fly in the face of what I always thought would be a search focused on head coaches with D1 coaching experience. Again, it would be mind boggling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                          Getting your foot in the door and being anointed the successor are, to me, two different things. As I said before, Umile announcing his retirement and naming as his successor an assistant at three different D1 schools, none of which have had any level of success, would fly in the face of what I always thought would be a search focused on head coaches with D1 coaching experience. Again, it would be mind boggling.
                          Greg just for fun if you were to name a HC who would your 'perfect world' candidates be? In terms of exoerience etc. And does age matter or is D1 experience top on your list...

Ps Chuck can't count. ☺️ And we already know my choice would be someone who looks something like BU's David Quinn...just sayin'
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Pretty much agree, and strongly agree with the part in bold.

Comment

EFFINGWOODS (WIS) - Inspired by real-life events taking place in the shadowy underworld known as Hockey East ... WIS Productions in tandem with the mind of N. Don Shamalamadingdong, proudly present this Summer's must-see blockbuster, coming soon to obscure Croatian-language cable TV outlets virtually dotted across the backwaters of North America ...

An obscure well-traveled assistant coach finally lands a coveted job with his alma mater ... but a vindictive former boss, his willing media accomplice, and the emergence of strange crop circles deep within Breakheart Reservation combine to lead to the discovery of a family mystery protected by a secret hockey society for two decades - which could shake the foundations of human civilization (not to mention UNH Men's Hockey). Starring Joe Pesce and Coach Dick Umile, Ray Liotta as Coach Mike Souza, Sean Penn as Coach Luce Canaan, Jack Nicholson as Commish Bertagna, and Marty "Peaches" Scarano as himself in a riveting cameo ... be the first (and likely only) kid on your block to catch the unforgettable and regrettable epic that is ...

The Umile Code

Rated I for Immature audiences

Comment

Paul Thompson was 8 years old when he first saw his cousin Mike Souza play for UNH:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t_close_to.php
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X