This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Walmart announces a raise and credits the new tax law. Only thing is that they've been raising wages for each of the last few years in response to market forces and state level minimum wage hikes in many states - and needed to do it again this year anyways. They got credit from the Trump administration. The next day the company fired thousands of workers.

Hopefully all that grows the company 50%...so then it can make up for the reduction in its tax bill.
    In their next breath, Wal-Mart announced that they're closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off 1,200 Sam's Club employees nationwide.
    http://www.dailyherald.com/business/...onwide-closing
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 6.0: Nope, it only found woven strands

And a side effect from the closing of these stores is the second hand employment created from these stores:
      In Batavia [IL], city officials have halted a plan to hire an additional police officer, who would have joined a narcotics task force, and a second building inspector until they figure out how the drop in sales taxes the store generates will affect the city budget. Batavia's fiscal year began Jan. 1.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        My company apparently hates OT and has cut it, ****ing a whole bunch of people off. Corporate came through a couple weeks ago, and after that, the "be off the floor by X time" speeches from supervisors came.

We have problems with retention, and this will not help.

As for me, I'm not bereft of job options. I could try and get promoted, look elsewhere for work, or play the long game and go back to school.
        Welcome to the consequences of mandating time and a half over 40 hours by regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          In their next breath, Wal-Mart announced that they're closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off 1,200 Sam's Club employees nationwide.
          http://www.dailyherald.com/business/...onwide-closing
          Sam's Club, at least in my area, has offered nothing better in terms of prices when compared to mainline grocery stores where there's no membership fee. I'm not surprised they're closing down. It's their own fault, and good on them to not use the tax break to try to keep a sinking lost ship afloat.

Comment

And the backwoods McDonald's in the town I was working last summer refused to participate in the "Any Size Drinks for $1"promotion. The McDonald's at the Oasis on the Illinois Tollway does not participate in the "Dollar Menu" promotions.

Remind me again how one franchised location's owner refusing to participate in a corporate national promotion is caused by $15/hr?

Especially when those getting $8.25/hr in Illinois aren't participating.

Also, I thought it was automated cashier/ordering machines that was killing the $15/hr job in Seattle. Can these people pick a narrative and stick with it?
            Labor is a cost to the business owner. To compensate, you have one of two choices, especially if your margin is fairly thin: Raise your prices, or cut your costs. Some choose one way, others choose the other.

Regarding your McDonald's, was it in Cook County, or a similar place with a pop tax? If so, then the pop tax probably had a lot to do with that. If not, maybe delivery of the Coke products from your store's distributor.

With the Oasis not participating, that's not surprising, as they typically have higher prices to compensate for their location, whether it's cost-driven, delivery-driven with the tolls (I don't know if they can use a "side entrance" or if they're required to use the toll road proper), or other factor I'm sure some pundits on here will be more than happy to talk about.

BTW, a follow-up on the Subway story: http://mynorthwest.com/865017/seattl...ay-franchisee/

Comment

Nope. It was outside of Cook County, and actually outside of the seven counties Chicagoland region as well. Hence the backwoods comment.

Tollway Oasis' are actually built *over* the tollway. Access is only via the toll road exits to dedicated parking lots with access to/from the Tollway only. There are employee lots with frontage road access. It doesn't surprise me either they don't participate, because they charge ~$2 extra for everything. They also have never participated in the Monopoly promotions either (that I'm aware of).

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I have no problem with him not participating. I respect him for being honest, and he even admits it's not (fully) the $15 minimum wage's fault.

My issue is the knee-jerk reaction from that blog explicitly tying this franchisee's choice to the $15 minimum wage.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Nope. It was outside of Cook County, and actually outside of the seven counties Chicagoland region as well. Hence the backwoods comment.

Tollway Oasis' are actually built *over* the tollway. Access is only via the toll road exits to dedicated parking lots with access to/from the Tollway only. There are employee lots with frontage road access. It doesn't surprise me either they don't participate, because they charge ~$2 extra for everything. They also have never participated in the Monopoly promotions either (that I'm aware of).
                  I understand there's more to a state than just a city (if I had a nickel for every time I was lumped in with NYC I could pay this site's administrative costs and then some), so I added the point of "similar place". I'm sure you know the costs associated with bringing in the product anyway, so whether or not you're allowed to divulge that information, I'm sure it's a sound business decision.

I always found the building over the road to be quite the thing, although aren't they looking to start tearing those down, sadly? I wasn't sure if, similar to the NYS Thruway, the delivery drivers could also use that employee access you referenced and have it be gate controlled to make sure no one was cheating.

Comment

I have no problem with him not participating. I respect him for being honest, and he even admits it's not (fully) the $15 minimum wage's fault.

My issue is the knee-jerk reaction from that blog explicitly tying this franchisee's choice to the $15 minimum wage.
                    I'm sure we've all had our "last straw" moments. And plenty of places do like to use inferences to garner ratings; Infowars does the same thing, and I have zero problems with calling them out on it, especially when Alex tries to defend it, along with tangents.

It's a little sad that the hand is being forced on these "technological advancements" that a lot of places have been doing, but like the Industrial Revolution, I have every confidence that the resiliency of Americans will allow the country to persevere.

Comment

Burger King explains Net Nutrality:
                      https://youtu.be/ltzy5vRmN8Q

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

That is awesome. Good on them for doing that.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Just thinking about this stuff.

I'm a pro biz guy, who does not support net neutrality. The pro biz community would say...let businesses create new models and that can be a win as it creates new jobs/growth. The #1 problem is that with our disfunctioning government...its doubtful that we'll be able to effectively police any collusion that could occur. And the potential risk/damage of collusion/prejudice/bias is not worth the additional positive business opportunities.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            I'm a pro biz guy, who does not support net neutrality.
                            Bless your heart, of course you don't. Here's my shocked face.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Reading his quote I think he meant to say he favors net neutrality. Otherwise the rest of his post makes no sense.

But my impression is 90% of businesses favor net neutrality, along with 100% of consumers. The only people against it are the telecomm as-sholes and maybe the largest companies (although I get the impression many of them also favor it), plus of course Republicans because bribes, Innate Evil, and Ideological argle bargle.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-25-2018, 09:34 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                I think that was supposed to be a hypothetical.

Comment

Working...
                                X