X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Credit where credit is due, DQ's move to put in Max was the right read of his locker room. Great to see everyone skating hard to the final horn to get Max that shutout. Real happy for him after what was a clear struggle in his only other start in the exhibition. He fought off a few shots and UNH missed some open shots at the net, so I wouldn't go as far as to say there's any need for a "goalie competition" but it's good to see that when Jake needs a night off - as he very clearly did after last night - that Max is a serviceable option.
    It was a nice and much-needed W in several ways. Great to see Max capitalize on this opportunity; I really hope he gets 1 more start before the break just so he gets more reps and Oettinger gets some rest w/ the WJCs coming up.

It was arguably the team's most thorough game so far; I hope this week's practices shifts the focus on positive reinforcement of what they did well instead of more tinkering. Nice to see them generate as many quality scoring chances last night as in the previous 4 games combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
      It was a nice and much-needed W in several ways. Great to see Max capitalize on this opportunity; I really hope he gets 1 more start before the break just so he gets more reps and Oettinger gets some rest w/ the WJCs coming up.

It was arguably the team's most thorough game so far; I hope this week's practices shifts the focus on positive reinforcement of what they did well instead of more tinkering. Nice to see them generate as many quality scoring chances last night as in the previous 4 games combined.
      I agree, though it would seem unfortunately more tinkering will be necessary as Hickey and Olsson will have to slide in somewhere. Olsson I think is the simplest, swap him for Cloonan. Finding a spot for Hickey is a bit more tough as Diffley has shown improvement in his three games now, Farrance had a strong game last night and we lacked his speed and offense in both NU games he sat, Krys and Fabbro obviously aren't getting benched unless they deserve it (which they don't). Kotkansalo and Crotty both have been serviceable, and I think could be the candidates. There's also McLeod. He's got 8 D who you can make a case deserve PT. Krys, Fabbro, and Hickey are the only three who are definite locks. So that leaves McLeod, Diffley, Kotkansalo, Farrance, and Crotty fighting for three spots - not to mention the idea of Switzer getting a shot. I'd like to see more of Farrance in there, I think he has the strongest skill set of the freshman D. Perhaps there'd be some kind of rotation for the other two spots, but that's really not the most ideal scenario. I don't have an answer as those remaining four really haven't done much to distance themselves from one another in either direction.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        I agree, though it would seem unfortunately more tinkering will be necessary as Hickey and Olsson will have to slide in somewhere. Olsson I think is the simplest, swap him for Cloonan. Finding a spot for Hickey is a bit more tough as Diffley has shown improvement in his three games now, Farrance had a strong game last night and we lacked his speed and offense in both NU games he sat, Krys and Fabbro obviously aren't getting benched unless they deserve it (which they don't). Kotkansalo and Crotty both have been serviceable, and I think could be the candidates. There's also McLeod. He's got 8 D who you can make a case deserve PT. Krys, Fabbro, and Hickey are the only three who are definite locks. So that leaves McLeod, Diffley, Kotkansalo, Farrance, and Crotty fighting for three spots - not to mention the idea of Switzer getting a shot. I'd like to see more of Farrance in there, I think he has the strongest skill set of the freshman D. Perhaps there'd be some kind of rotation for the other two spots, but that's really not the most ideal scenario. I don't have an answer as those remaining four really haven't done much to distance themselves from one another in either direction.
        Here you go Brass

Fabbro/Krys
        Hickey/Switzer
        Farrence/Diffley or McLeod

Now you have a D corp that has the appropriate amount of offensive ability and physicality and isn't just serviceable.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
          Here you go Brass

Fabbro/Krys
          Hickey/Switzer

Now you have a D corp that has the appropriate amount of offensive ability and physicality and isn't just serviceable.
          Thank goodness you're alive!!
          BS UMass Lowell 2015
          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Assuming full health, for at least the Maine weekend, I think the lineup should be:

Tkachuk - Carpenter - Greenway
            Cockerill - Bowers - Harper
            Curry - Melanson - Amonte
            Olsson - Chabot - Phelps

Hickey - Fabbro
            Krys - MacLeod
            Farrance - Diffley

Agree w/ your assessment of swapping Olsson and Cloonan. I'd move Chabot to center on the 4th line; he played a few games there last season. I think Chabot adds more in that role than Cloonan does.

Right now, I don't think Cloonan is one of BU's top 12 forwards. Is non-productive offensively and is a defensive liability. He seems like he'd be better-suited as a top-6 forward with his speed/skill, but it's very hard justifying putting him on one of the top 2 lines given his lack of production.

On D, agree that Diffley's played well enough to stay in the lineup for now. I'd also really like to see MacLeod in there regularly b/c of his physicality and experience, even though his skating is the weakest amongst the entire D-corps.

I don't think neither Crotty nor Kotkansalo have been bad where either deserve to be benched. Kotkansalo has impressed me a little more so far; I think Crotty has a higher upside but is still a bit raw IMO. Also think Switzer should get a look before the break just to see what he can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
              Here you go Brass

Fabbro/Krys
              Hickey/Switzer

Good to see you're still posting here, Shane.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                Assuming full health, for at least the Maine weekend, I think the lineup should be:

Tkachuk - Carpenter - Greenway
                Cockerill - Bowers - Harper
                Curry - Melanson - Amonte
                Olsson - Chabot - Phelps

Hickey - Fabbro
                Krys - MacLeod
                Farrance - Diffley

Agree w/ your assessment of swapping Olsson and Cloonan. I'd move Chabot to center on the 4th line; he played a few games there last season. I think Chabot adds more in that role than Cloonan does.

Right now, I don't think Cloonan is one of BU's top 12 forwards. Is non-productive offensively and is a defensive liability. He seems like he'd be better-suited as a top-6 forward with his speed/skill, but it's very hard justifying putting him on one of the top 2 lines given his lack of production.

On D, agree that Diffley's played well enough to stay in the lineup for now. I'd also really like to see MacLeod in there regularly b/c of his physicality and experience, even though his skating is the weakest amongst the entire D-corps.

I don't think neither Crotty nor Kotkansalo have been bad where either deserve to be benched. Kotkansalo has impressed me a little more so far; I think Crotty has a higher upside but is still a bit raw IMO. Also think Switzer should get a look before the break just to see what he can offer.
                Don't disagree with any of your points...other than to say on a team as offensively challenged so far as this one...don't see how you can keep rolling Crotty and Katkansalo out there who have zero offensive production at BU or at the Junior level

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  Good to see you're still posting here, Shane.
                  Yuck yuck

Comment

The announcer guy (Tangent: Announcing the score with an in your face tone to it after each score is bush-league. Stop it.) said that this was the first shut-out for a first start for a BU goalie since Shawn Fields did it 17 years ago. Congrats Max!

Better, but it's one game. And it looks like they're going to be playing one of the best teams in the country at MSG.

BU Hockey: Didn't Suck
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Tangent: Announcing the score with an in your face tone to it after each score is bush-league. Stop it.
                      This. This this this SO MUCH THIS.

Also, before they play a currently undefeated team, they gotta play Maine. Is anyone going up there this weekend? Saturday’s game is in Portland. Wonder how the crowd will be at that game.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                        Yuck yuck
                        seriously. it's shane sr
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          The announcer guy (Tangent: Announcing the score with an in your face tone to it after each score is bush-league. Stop it.) said that this was the first shut-out for a first start for a BU goalie since Shawn Fields did it 17 years ago.
                          That's Brian Maurer, the guy who does color commentary on the BU basketball broadcasts with Doug Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            This. This this this SO MUCH THIS.

Also, before they play a currently undefeated team, they gotta play Maine. Is anyone going up there this week? Saturday’s game is in Portland. Wonder how the crowd will be at that game.
                            There should be 3500 + in Orono. Not sure about Portland, but based on past games it's nearly sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              The announcer guy (Tangent: Announcing the score with an in your face tone to it after each score is bush-league. Stop it.)
                              Totally agree. It is Bush-league.

On game presentation, one more positive and one negative.

Positive -- The pregame video tribute to retiring UNH coach Dick Umile was very nice. UNH fans sitting near me all thought it was a classy gesture. And Umile appeared to be genuinely touched.

Negative -- I have never been convinced that we need a "Rinkside Reporter." But if we are going to have one, please make sure that she, or he, do not refer to "you guys" during the interviews. We are supposed to have one of the nation's finest journalism/communications schools, and this makes us look very amateurish.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Guys, the elephant in the room has been the goalie. Simply put he has not been good and the UNH game saw a very serviceable goalie who did not give up any softies like we have seen in almost all other games.
                                Hopefully Oettinger stops worrying about making the Olympic team and settles down and if not then maybe Max emerges as a solid alternative.

Comment

Working...
                                X