2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Anyone planning to be in Kreitzberg for St. Anselm exhibition against Norwich (Cadet tune up for the Bull Dog)?

Comment

Not there, but I will be at Oswego cheering on Castleton.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
        Anyone planning to be in Kreitzberg for St. Anselm exhibition against Norwich (Cadet tune up for the Bull Dog)?
        No obserbear, you going? Those two teams aren't wasting any time getting down to business! I thought St. A's was really something last year. They seemed big, physical, and well coached. Have fun if you go.

Comment

Norwich up 5-1 after 2nd....

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
            Norwich up 5-1 after 2nd....
            Sounds like Coach Bolding may enjoy the symphony of his season with that sort of tune up!

Comment

Normally I would have been there but we had a women’s soccer conflict. Can’t be two places at once and regular game takes precedent over exhibition.

Heard good things out of the exhibition from Norwich side of things. We’ll see how this weekend goes though. Should end up with two games vs. really good opponents.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Normally I would have been there but we had a women’s soccer conflict. Can’t be two places at once and regular game takes precedent over exhibition.

Heard good things out of the exhibition from Norwich side of things. We’ll see how this weekend goes though. Should end up with two games vs. really good opponents.
                Norwich should be the class of the field in Adrian this weekend. Both Adrian and UWRF graduated very significant portions of their squads. UWRF will be relying heavily on freshman both up front and on the blue line. My guess is they will struggle early in the season and making the tournament will be very difficult because of it. While Adrian did lose some excellent players they return quite a bit of talent and also have the conference tournament available for entry into the NCAA playoffs if an at large isn't in the cards.

Comment

MIAC Coaches Poll:

1) Gustavus (8)
                  2) Augsburg (1)
                  3) Hamline
                  4) St. Thomas
                  5) Concordia (1)
                  6) Bethel
                  7) St. Catherine
                  8) St. Mary's
                  9) St. Olaf
                  10) St. Ben's

Details here: http://www.miacathletics.com/sports/...20171025vpyag4

I think they have Augsburg too high, Hamline too low (nobody paying attention to their transfers?), Concordia way too high, Bethel too low. St. Olaf too low. St. Thomas might be too high if the coaches decide they're going to give massive playing time to their good freshmen to get them ready for a year when they can go to the playoffs.

Comment

Thursday AM brain fade.

8 or 9 team NCAA tournament??
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
                      MIAC Coaches Poll:

1) Gustavus (8)
                      2) Augsburg (1)
                      3) Hamline
                      4) St. Thomas
                      5) Concordia (1)
                      6) Bethel
                      7) St. Catherine
                      8) St. Mary's
                      9) St. Olaf
                      10) St. Ben's

Details here: http://www.miacathletics.com/sports/...20171025vpyag4

I think they have Augsburg too high, Hamline too low (nobody paying attention to their transfers?), Concordia way too high, Bethel too low. St. Olaf too low. St. Thomas might be too high if the coaches decide they're going to give massive playing time to their good freshmen to get them ready for a year when they can go to the playoffs.
                      I think Hamline comes down to chemistry. Integrating those new players into team without disrupting things is key. If they can do that they could be the favorite coming out the west this year. I see a three team race for the championship. Should be a lot of good games MIAC this year. Even those not picked near the top seem to steal a few points here and there to keep things interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by hieronymus View Post
                        I think Hamline comes down to chemistry. Integrating those new players into team without disrupting things is key. If they can do that they could be the favorite coming out the west this year. I see a three team race for the championship. Should be a lot of good games MIAC this year. Even those not picked near the top seem to steal a few points here and there to keep things interesting.
                        The players coming in are some pretty high character people, most of whom payed in some real good HS programs. I'm not crazy about their coach, despite her great playing career, but I actually think the leadership provided by some of the transfers (and the fact that this is the last year for some of them) lend a certain desperation to this year. The goaltending is better with Gustavus and Augsburg. In any case, there should be a decent fight for spots 4 & 5 in the playoffs, I would think Bethel gets one and the other is up in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Thursday AM brain fade.

8 or 9 team NCAA tournament??
                          My understanding is the NCAA has approved expansion to 9 teams.

Comment

My understanding is the NCAA has approved expansion to 9 teams.
                            As usual obserbear is spot on! The interesting thing is that the NCAA anticipates going to 10 teams for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                              The interesting thing is that the NCAA anticipates going to 10 teams for next year.
                              There was some process involving a sport requesting approval to expand the number of teams participating in the post season once the access ratio meets the criteria. I know approval was granted for the proposed 9 teams, but has the approval now been granted for the 10th team?

Comment

There was some process involving a sport requesting approval to expand the number of teams participating in the post season once the access ratio meets the criteria. I know approval was granted for the proposed 9 teams, but has the approval now been granted for the 10th team?
                                No approval yet, but take a look at point 9.Championship Format (page 5) in the June Report. The basis for the increase seems to be additional sponsorship!

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...g_20170912.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X