Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Unless I can't count (possible), the Gophs are adding seven forwards to the roster next year. Piazza and Reilly graduate. Skarzynski could return to D yet again. If she does, that still means six returning F on the top three lines plus whatever status we use for Taylor Williamson. None of the additions are practice player types who are likely to be in street clothes on game days in a typical year. There would be enough depth to skate four lines on a regular basis, but I expect that Frost will want to make sure that players like Pannek, Zumwinkle, and Potomak (x2) will get plenty of minutes.

So forwards on the current team who would like a regular spot in 2018-19 would be best served by making their mark this season. Otherwise, it will be easy to get lost in the shuffle next year.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Unless I can't count (possible), the Gophs are adding seven forwards to the roster next year.
      Assuming Taylor Williamson comes back, and Sophie Skarzynski returns to defense, I count 17 potential forwards (!) and 7 defensemen. In alphabetical order within each position and class:

FORWARDS

Freshmen
      1. Abigail Boreen
      2. Taylor Heise
      3. Emily Oden
      4. Amy Potomak
      5. Catie Skaja

Sophomores
      6. Taylor Wente
      7. Grace Zumwinkle

Juniors
      8. Lindsay Agnew
      9. Kippin Keller
      10. Sarah Potomak (RS)
      11. Alex Woken

Seniors
      12. Tianna Gunderson
      13. Kelly Pannek (RS)
      14. Jackie Pieper (RS)
      15. Nicole Schammel (RS)
      16. Sierra Smith
      17. Taylor Williamson (?)

DEFENSE

Freshmen
      1. Crystalyn Hengler
      2. Gracie Ostertag

Sophomores
      3. Emily Brown
      4. Olivia Knowles

Juniors
      5. Patti Marshall
      6. Katie Robinson

Seniors
      7. Sophie Skarzynski

GOALTENDERS

Sophomores
      1. Alex Gulstene

Juniors
      2. Serena D'Angelo

Seniors
      3. Emma May

So forwards on the current team who would like a regular spot in 2018-19 would be best served by making their mark this season. Otherwise, it will be easy to get lost in the shuffle next year.
      It appears there will be at least four healthy scratches - possibly all forwards - to start the 2018-19 season. So you are 100% correct about the need to make their mark this season.
      Last edited by D2D; 10-09-2017, 07:58 PM. Reason: Correction
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Thanks for compiling the list. Sarah Potomak will be a RS junior, not senior.

Comment

Sarah Potomak will be a RS junior, not senior.
          TOO LATE HE ALREADY SAlD IT SORRY
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            TOO LATE HE ALREADY SAlD IT SORRY
            That's okay -- we'll just bring her back out of retirement. Timothy A would enjoy that more anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Assuming Taylor Williamson comes back, and Sophie Skarzynski returns to defense, I count 17 potential forwards (!) and 7 defensemen. In alphabetical order within each position and class:

FORWARDS

Freshmen
              1. Abigail Boreen
              2. Taylor Heise
              3. Emily Oden
              4. Amy Potomak
              5. Catie Skaja

Sophomores
              6. Taylor Wente
              7. Grace Zumwinkle

Juniors
              8. Lindsay Agnew
              9. Kippin Keller
              10. Sarah Potomak (RS)
              11. Alex Woken

Seniors
              12. Tianna Gunderson
              13. Kelly Pannek (RS)
              14. Jackie Pieper (RS)
              15. Nicole Schammel (RS)
              16. Sierra Smith
              17. Taylor Williamson (?)

DEFENSE

Freshmen
              1. Crystalyn Hengler
              2. Gracie Ostertag

Sophomores
              3. Emily Brown
              4. Olivia Knowles

Juniors
              5. Patti Marshall
              6. Katie Robinson

Seniors
              7. Sophie Skarzynski

GOALTENDERS

Sophomores
              1. Alex Gulstene

Juniors
              2. Serena D'Angelo

Seniors
              3. Emma May

It appears there will be at least four healthy scratches - possibly all forwards - to start the 2018-19 season. So you are 100% correct about the need to make their mark this season.

Looking forward to watching Emily Oden play next year. Saw her in a high school game last Christmas and was extremely impressed. Mentioned it at the time and Net7minder pointed out Zumwinkle to me.

Nice warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Nice warehouse.
                Kinda like Frostco?
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
                  MC count is up to 10 now with 2 so far this young season. Oh, and three coaches.
                  I've been "staying tuned" but haven't heard or read about any of the coaches leaving. I think you were pulling my leg with your stick. That's going to cost you 2 minutes in the sin bin for either hooking or tripping.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Kinda like Frostco?
                    Oh nice one, A++
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Gotta give some credit to Sidney Peters. She played a really good game. Would have had a shutout but for some weird refereeing. Took us a long time to get any of the control of the puck there at the end when the Beavers pulled their goalie. That was a pretty good game. Way to go Gophs.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                        Gotta give some credit to Sidney Peters. She played a really good game. Would have had a shutout but for some weird refereeing. Took us a long time to get any of the control of the puck there at the end when the Beavers pulled their goalie. That was a pretty good game. Way to go Gophs.
                        Peters was as good as I have ever seen her, apparently she just needed a weekend off. I was impressed overall with the grit the Gophers showed.
                        One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen in an odd way. The let everything go and as a result the game was very physical which you would expect. But the, at random times they would call something, something no different than had happened a dozen times in the previous 10 minutes. This worked to the disadvantage of MN as they twice found themselves on the short end of 5 on 3s. The penalty kill is impressive & it should be noted that BSU had no SOG 5 on 3 and a total of 1 SOG for the 5 on 4 that followed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                          Looking forward to watching Emily Oden play next year. Saw her in a high school game last Christmas and was extremely impressed. Mentioned it at the time and Net7minder pointed out Zumwinkle to me.

Nice warehouse.
                          Zoom Boom had a beauty today on the power play. Saw her do it a few time in HS. If you give her space she will fire and is deadly accurate hitting the corners. Teams are going to have to assign a gaurd for her even if they are short handed.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            I've been "staying tuned" but haven't heard or read about any of the coaches leaving. I think you were pulling my leg with your stick. That's going to cost you 2 minutes in the sin bin for either hooking or tripping.
                            No penalty here. I was referring to coaches who have left since program inception, 50%. Very telling for a brand new program. Wish I could start a Merrimack thread but, yawn, no audience!!! Yet???

Comment

Originally posted by Theicebox View Post
                              . Wish I could start a Merrimack thread but, yawn, no audience!!! Yet???
                              No no no no...........no no. Start the thread! We got Mercyhurst and Vermont, Penn State and Colgate, a bunch of great team threads we haven't had. You'll have an audience and sometimes people might post with you. Plus Merrimack kicked the Gophers butts, they deserve a thread. Plus they won 11 games last year as a second year D1 program,

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                                No no no no...........no no. Start the thread! We got Mercyhurst and Vermont, Penn State and Colgate, a bunch of great team threads we haven't had. You'll have an audience and sometimes people might post with you. Plus Merrimack kicked the Gophers butts, they deserve a thread. Plus they won 11 games last year as a second year D1 program,
                                Seconded. I enjoy reading pretty much any thread. The more the Merri(mack)ier.

Comment

Working...
                                X