Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    I have never been a fan of using forward's as defensemen on powerplay's. This isn't the NHL where you have Ovechkin or someone like that who can handle it. Especially this year where MSU finally seems to have 4-5 defensemen who can handle the puck pretty darn well.

I was really impressed again with the overall team speed and skill. Princeton just seemed like clearly a lesser team talent-wise. I can't remember the last time I thought that.

The one downside I saw against Princeton was that a couple guys seemed to get pushed around pretty easily (lambdin took a few good hits). Now I don't know how much of that is the fact that they are 18-19 year olds playing against 22-25 year olds but if that is the price of having a highly skilled team I'll take it in a heartbeat.
    I also am not a fan of forwards playing defense on the PP. I think I mentioned this before but if they get caught having to play a 1on1 or something the other way they are often exposed as not the greatest at skating backwards and defending.

I thought we took care of Princeton as well as I figured we could realistically hope for. They are likely not a great team but are experienced and unknown thus far. They did edge out the U-18 team the following night. MSU personally knows how that is not always an easy game so Princeton is probably not dreadful, at least.

A few of our goals were of the grubby variety closer to the net. That is good to see because we're not going to be sniping the lights out. The power play did look better but Princeton was much more passive on the PK than Denver.

I will be out of town but Tech is up next. It feels like almost every game they edge us out by the slimmest of margins these days. They are only 3-5-1 but considering their opponents and how they played I would guess they are a fair bit better than their record.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-01-2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

I think as long as you do as we did Friday, shifting guys between point and wing, the thing with 4 forwards can work. Goal #1 was good evidence of that. You work it right and the guy filling the space vacated at the blueline can easily take care of anyone breaking the other way. You get a pair of forwards who know how to backcheck or take away the extra pass, perhaps the missing 2nd d-man is a non-issue.

Another topic, and since I love numbers ... of the 12 goals MSU scored, Osburn was on the ice for 8 of them. What does that say about his value to the team right now, as a sophomore? Is it too early to make some historic comparisons?

So the optimistic side of me wants a say: A couple weekends ago MSU gave up 9 straight goals agains Lake State - the last 5 on Friday and the first 4 on Saturday. 5 of those goals were with MSU on the PK. So of the 20 goals MSU has given up, 9 of them came during a bad 3-period stretch, with 8 freshmen dressed for their first weekend of play. Hmmmm.

Comment

Hey, a winning streak!
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Hey, a winning streak!
          Which was nice.

Too much inexperience, too beat up, too overmatched by a veteran team to keep it going. Everything that could go wrong did, including the 5-on-3 to put us down 3-1 and an awful mental mistake near our own net to make it 4-1.

Gotta get Stenglein, Appleton and Rosburg back. Gotta get Gatt healthy. The short week isn't going to help.

Scarsella and Chrcek filled in admirably, but so far Ghaffari (despite the gaff) seems like a cut above the other freshmen D.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            Which was nice.

Too much inexperience, too beat up, too overmatched by a veteran team to keep it going. Everything that could go wrong did, including the 5-on-3 to put us down 3-1 and an awful mental mistake near our own net to make it 4-1.

Gotta get Stenglein, Appleton and Rosburg back. Gotta get Gatt healthy. The short week isn't going to help.

Scarsella and Chrcek filled in admirably, but so far Ghaffari (despite the gaff) seems like a cut above the other freshmen D.
            We were missing Stenglein, Appleton and Rosburg? That's very rough. Hopefully none are serious.

Comment

A split, which is more then what I expected.
              This week is Ferris, maybe a split..........
              Still saying a 4-10 Non-con record and 7-13 in the B10.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                Which was nice.

After the game Anastos said that too much water was on the ice which caused Ghaffari to lose control of puck. Actually I also blame Lethemon a little bit for not being at all ready... the puck sat there for a good second or two before the Michigan Tech player got to it. Seemed like a combination of all three though, two freshman mistakes and bad ice.

Injuries are definitely a problem right now, especially on the forward side... just don't have the depth quite yet to survive three injuries at the same time. Overall though I have been really impressed with the play of all the freshman and sophomores so far. If you combine those two classes with two more good ones MSU may be quite a team all of a sudden.

Also I believe Osburn was on the ice for every goal this weekend. Which would make him on the ice for 11 of 15? Krug comparisons too soon?
                Last edited by gomsuman; 11-07-2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                  After the game Anastos said that too much water was on the ice which caused Ghaffari to lose control of puck. Actually I also blame Lethemon a little bit for not being at all ready... the puck sat there for a good second or two before the Michigan Tech player got to it. Seemed like a combination of all three though, two freshman mistakes and bad ice.
                  Considering that it was the third time in the weekend that a defenseman coughed up the puck within 10 feet of the goal and allowed a scoring chance to a Tech forechecker (Lucchini had one and I believe Neville was the other) I don't think you can just chalk it up to water on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    Considering that it was the third time in the weekend that a defenseman coughed up the puck within 10 feet of the goal and allowed a scoring chance to a Tech forechecker (Lucchini had one and I believe Neville was the other) I don't think you can just chalk it up to water on the ice.
                    Definitely a lot of freshman mistakes so far on the backend (which will happen when you skate 4 freshman defensemen). I was just relaying what was said by the coach after the game... don't shoot the messenger!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      We were missing Stenglein, Appleton and Rosburg? That's very rough. Hopefully none are serious.
                      Anastos seemed to hint that Rosburg could miss a few games. I cannot tell but did anyone catch whether the OT goal celebration got a little out of hand? I sure hope youthful exuberance was not the cause of Appleton's injury! There seemed to be quite a lot of happy piling on. Have no idea what's up with Stenglein.

But as of start of play Saturday, here were notable Spartans not dressed:
                      Appleton (So)
                      Stenglein (Sr)
                      Pavelek (Jr)
                      Rosburg (RS Fr)

That's an entire line's worth of experienced forwards, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                        A split, which is more then what I expected.
                        This week is Ferris, maybe a split..........
                        Still saying a 4-10 Non-con record and 7-13 in the B10.
                        But - that means *no NCAAs again! THAT'S REALLY DISAPPOINTING!

Now Spartan Volleyball, on the other hand ...

unless MSU pull a Houdini and wins the tournament of course!

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Anastos seemed to hint that Rosburg could miss a few games. I cannot tell but did anyone catch whether the OT goal celebration got a little out of hand? I sure hope youthful exuberance was not the cause of Appleton's injury! There seemed to be quite a lot of happy piling on. Have no idea what's up with Stenglein.

But as of start of play Saturday, here were notable Spartans not dressed:
                          Appleton (So)
                          Stenglein (Sr)
                          Pavelek (Jr)
                          Rosburg (RS Fr)

That's an entire line's worth of experienced forwards, btw.
                          Appleton was injured early in Saturdays game.

Comment

This headline from Neil Koepke: " Spartans Will Learn From Saturday’s Loss".

It seems this is the mantra of the current regime. 'We're still learning". "Baby steps".
                            Yes I know it is a 'Young' team. But enough already with the learning statements. We are now six years into a five year rebuilding plan. Or if you prefer, first year into the second five year rebuilding plan. Either way, progress has, and continues to be negligible. Deeply disappointed when tCHHCoMSU received that extension last spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                              This headline from Neil Koepke: " Spartans Will Learn From Saturday’s Loss".

It seems this is the mantra of the current regime. 'We're still learning". "Baby steps".
                              Yes I know it is a 'Young' team. But enough already with the learning statements. We are now six years into a five year rebuilding plan. Or if you prefer, first year into the second five year rebuilding plan. Either way, progress has, and continues to be negligible. Deeply disappointed when tCHHCoMSU received that extension last spring.
                              Well when arguably all of MSU's 8 freshman skaters are seeing the ice there will definitely be some learning moments early on this year as they finally get game experience with each other... Now if it continues for more than a month or two thats when MSU has a serious issue.

I think the last two recruiting classes have panned out pretty darn well (Granted I have only watched 4 games so far). Maybe well enough to warrant one more year for Anastos even if it is another mediocre season for MSU. But that's just my opinion

Comment

FWIW I thought your team was a lot better this year than last year.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X