Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 2017 Offseason Thread: Coaching, Conferences, Etc.

Originally posted by pucko View Post
    If St. Thomas can't play in the post season, how would this affect the NCAA rankings at the end of the year for teams that have either beaten them or tied them? Will they be counted in the standings, or would they basically be considered an exhibition game to teams?
    I'm going to assume that nothing changes and if they were to get a spot based on their ranking it would simply fall to the next team down the list. That sounds reasonable....which probably means it's wrong :-)

Comment

I just wish these teams would publish their rosters to see who's left at St. Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
        I just wish these teams would publish their rosters to see who's left at St. Thomas.
        probably won't see rosters until the week after next. Coaches can't go on the ice until the 16th so I'm guessing no final roster decisions until then, or very few.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
          I'm going to assume that nothing changes and if they were to get a spot based on their ranking it would simply fall to the next team down the list. That sounds reasonable....which probably means it's wrong :-)
          I believe that they won't be ranked or considered for a ranking by the NCAA. They'll essentially be ignored. Games against them will count in overall NCAA record, but that's about all.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
            I believe that they won't be ranked or considered for a ranking by the NCAA. They'll essentially be ignored. Games against them will count in overall NCAA record, but that's about all.
            Given the rumored transfers I'd be surprised if they'd be good enough for a ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by pucko View Post
              If St. Thomas can't play in the post season, how would this affect the NCAA rankings at the end of the year for teams that have either beaten them or tied them? Will they be counted in the standings, or would they basically be considered an exhibition game to teams?
              All the games count. St. Thomas is just not going to compete in the playoffs.

Same thing happened in the SUNYAC men back when a few schools got into trouble with handing out aid to Canadian players. They finished where they finished, and then were not considered when the playoffs started, moving everyone up one.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                All the games count. St. Thomas is just not going to compete in the playoffs.

Same thing happened in the SUNYAC men back when a few schools got into trouble with handing out aid to Canadian players. They finished where they finished, and then were not considered when the playoffs started, moving everyone up one.
                I think we're talking about the NCAA rankings. Will the NCAA rank them and then ignore them come selection day or do they ignore them before doing the rankings?
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I think we're talking about the NCAA rankings. Will the NCAA rank them and then ignore them come selection day or do they ignore them before doing the rankings?
                  The last time this happened when I cared (with Geneseo, Buffalo State, and Potsdam), they didn't have these regional rankings to help determine the selection. So, good question...
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    The last time this happened when I cared (with Geneseo, Buffalo State, and Potsdam), they didn't have these regional rankings to help determine the selection. So, good question...
                    Either way the result / impact is the same isn't it? Their games count for other teams but when it comes time to selecting teams for nationals either they're don't show up in the rankings....or the NCAA adds salt to the wound by showing their ranking (assuming they do well) and then just bypasses them.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      Either way the result / impact is the same isn't it? Their games count for other teams but when it comes time to selecting teams for nationals either they're don't show up in the rankings....or the NCAA adds salt to the wound by showing their ranking (assuming they do well) and then just bypasses them.
                      No, it does matter. Say St. Thomas is ranked, but then can't be given a bid. Wins and losses against them would count in the record against ranked teams criteria. If they don't rank them at all, they wouldn't matter other than as part of a team's overall record. There is potential for them to impact the selections if they are a ranked team, even if they can't be selected.
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95

Comment

No, it does matter. Say St. Thomas is ranked, but then can't be given a bid. Wins and losses against them would count in the record against ranked teams criteria. If they don't rank them at all, they wouldn't matter other than as part of a team's overall record. There is potential for them to impact the selections if they are a ranked team, even if they can't be selected.
                        thanks for that clarification. I just assumed that the results of the games against St. Thomas would be considered equally for rankings regardless of how they were specifically treated.

Comment

Working...
                        X