Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    Looks like Munson made the trip also. Couldn't see the other goalie. Going to be interesting to see who starts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Beydoun's bag and pads were in yesterday's photo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

Not the combination I expected. THG gives a scathing review of the coaches handling of the goaltending thus far. It will be interesting if this weekend adds fuel to that fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        I saw #22 in the Twitter pictures from practice, any word on how many traveled for the Huskies, I think Tech will play very well this weekend.
        You’re only allowed to bring 22 players.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          You’re only allowed to bring 22 players.
          Meaning player #22 not 22 players

Comment

I like this team and I really like these coaches!
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I like this team and I really like these coaches!
              I like manurespreader.

And I also like this team, including coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

It is possible that because of limited skaters that they brought all 3 goalies. That happen once in the Russell era where they brought Corson Cramer to Alaska bc they had a spot.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Not the combination I expected. THG gives a scathing review of the coaches handling of the goaltending thus far. It will be interesting if this weekend adds fuel to that fire.

Normally THG does a very good job with there articles. Unfortunately this was not one of them. If the reporter had listened to the JSH, they would have heard Joe say (I'm paraphrasing here) he went with Packy because Kero struggles with shots outside of "home" ice, which is where FSU scores most of their goals from. Kero is an athletic goalie that has very good movement in the crease. Packy generally does well with stopping shots outside of "home" ice. His hypothesis failed. I don't call that bad coaching, that is bad luck. When it works, he is a genius. When it doesn't, he's a goat. A coach's job is to put his players in a position to succeed. I believe Joe has done that, and our guys are doing their best. This team has fight.

Comment

GO Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                      Normally THG does a very good job with there articles. Unfortunately this was not one of them. If the reporter had listened to the JSH, they would have heard Joe say (I'm paraphrasing here) he went with Packy because Kero struggles with shots outside of "home" ice, which is where FSU scores most of their goals from. Kero is an athletic goalie that has very good movement in the crease. Packy generally does well with stopping shots outside of "home" ice. His hypothesis failed. I don't call that bad coaching, that is bad luck. When it works, he is a genius. When it doesn't, he's a goat. A coach's job is to put his players in a position to succeed. I believe Joe has done that, and our guys are doing their best. This team has fight.
                      Like the coach, I feel competition is a great thing, however I believe in the MTU goaltending situation the perceived competition may be more that the goaltenders can handle. You've got Kero with 5 career games under his belt prior to this season, all early last season. You've got Munson who didn't play a single game last year. You have Beydoun who split with his goaltending partner last year in Waterloo and did quite well the last month of the season but with no NCAA experience. I realize a lot of people say you need to just go out there and do your job but goaltending is probably the toughest position on the team and the most mental. I think with the limited to no NCAA experience, it would take all of them a while to get up to speed. Logically Munson, with the most experience got the first nod and was given ample time to show what he had. IMHO he has not stepped up. Beydoun gets an early shot, doesn't last but comes in in December / January and does ok but loses against BGSU in the GLI. Doesn't see action again. Kero gets L-T against BGSU at home in November, doesn't see any meaningfull action until Vegas goes W-L-W-W from there and he is out. I tend to agree with THG that maybe the goaltending situation has been a little mishandled, not sure in the coaches position I could justify doing anything else but from a mental side of the game I'd say it has been tough on all 3 of the guys. I know the fix to the problem is just stop the puck but as coach has said on numerous occassions, you've got that fear of always dropping back to 3rd if you don't perform. Is that too much pressure for a group of guys with very limited experience. As mentioned previously my opinion is they need to pick a guy and run with him. Maybe at this point it should be Beydoun since he has the most hockey left of the three.

It is my feeling that if this juggling act continues MTU's chances of making a meaningful playoff run are zero.

I do like this team and I do like the coaching staff! Wish I could find a way to like the goaltending!

Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        It is possible that because of limited skaters that they brought all 3 goalies. That happen once in the Russell era where they brought Corson Cramer to Alaska bc they had a spot.
                        UAH did this a number of times last season when we were struggling to put 19 healthy (and not suspended) skaters on a bus or plane.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                          Regardless of what coach thought, I do feel like there needs to be a better reason to bench a guy that just got a sweep. As stated below, goaltending is a very mental position. Showing Kero the confidence to put him back out there after a good weekend makes sense. Maybe the problem is despite the sweep Kero wasn't hitting that number? Idk, but its hard not to look at goaltending and see it as the weakness and the next step is that it was mishandled. It's hard to believe that none of the three have stepped up. I'm sure Shawhan is investing a ton of time into figuring this out and it just hasn't really worked yet, but that doesn't mean he's made the right moves and they just haven't worked out.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I hope they have all 3 goalies. Start Beydoun tonight, win or lose if he looks ok ride him in to the playoffs. If he struggles put Kero in on Saturday and ride him in to the playoffs regardless of Saturdays outcome. He's got the most "money in the bank!"

Comment

Like the coach, I feel competition is a great thing, however I believe in the MTU goaltending situation the perceived competition may be more that the goaltenders can handle. You've got Kero with 5 career games under his belt prior to this season, all early last season. You've got Munson who didn't play a single game last year. You have Beydoun who split with his goaltending partner last year in Waterloo and did quite well the last month of the season but with no NCAA experience. I realize a lot of people say you need to just go out there and do your job but goaltending is probably the toughest position on the team and the most mental. I think with the limited to no NCAA experience, it would take all of them a while to get up to speed. Logically Munson, with the most experience got the first nod and was given ample time to show what he had. IMHO he has not stepped up. Beydoun gets an early shot, doesn't last but comes in in December / January and does ok but loses against BGSU in the GLI. Doesn't see action again. Kero gets L-T against BGSU at home in November, doesn't see any meaningfull action until Vegas goes W-L-W-W from there and he is out. I tend to agree with THG that maybe the goaltending situation has been a little mishandled, not sure in the coaches position I could justify doing anything else but from a mental side of the game I'd say it has been tough on all 3 of the guys. I know the fix to the problem is just stop the puck but as coach has said on numerous occassions, you've got that fear of always dropping back to 3rd if you don't perform. Is that too much pressure for a group of guys with very limited experience. As mentioned previously my opinion is they need to pick a guy and run with him. Maybe at this point it should be Beydoun since he has the most hockey left of the three.

It is my feeling that if this juggling act continues MTU's chances of making a meaningful playoff run are zero.

I do like this team and I do like the coaching staff! Wish I could find a way to like the goaltending!

Go Huskies!
                              The coach is a Goalie. I think he understands goalie mentality.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                The coach is a Goalie. I think he understands goalie mentality.
                                So was Dave Burkholder, and the narrative with Niagara was that he either nailed it with the goalie or completely messed them up.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X