X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University - 2017-2018 season - thread numero uno

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Upper corner seats at Conte are obstructed view; Agganis has no obstructed view seats.

Sean
    About 20% of those seats that are on sale for $10 are obstructed. You can easily get a $10 ticket that is not obstructed, that's not the reason they're priced that way.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      Attendance is a major issue.
      While attendance is not near the 6200 capacity of Agganis or the median for the first few seasons after it opened, it is still mostly higher than the capacity of Walter Brown. However, keeping those new fans over the ensuring decade has been much harder than getting them in the first place.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Upper corner seats at Conte are obstructed view; Agganis has no obstructed view seats.

Sean
        I've sat just about everywhere...what are you considering obstructed? The fact you can't see one of the game clocks from certain seats?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          I've sat just about everywhere...what are you considering obstructed? The fact you can't see one of the game clocks from certain seats?
          Yah
          Don’t recall issues up there. Other than the walk
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            If you sit in the upper corners in the far back rows all the way against the wall you can't see the net in the zone right below you. It's a pretty significant obstruction, but there's only ~30 seats in each of the four corners that have this predicament.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

While attendance is not near the 6200 capacity of Agganis or the median for the first few seasons after it opened, it is still mostly higher than the capacity of Walter Brown. However, keeping those new fans over the ensuring decade has been much harder than getting them in the first place.

Sean
              100% agree w/ your retention assessment. IMO several factors have contributed to this:

- Decline in season ticket renewals due to any/all of these factors: product, time, cost

- Even amongst season ticket holders, I've noticed a growing trend of STH missing more games compared to years past, and not finding others to use their available tickets

- Students (Part 1): Steep drop in student interest/knowledge in the program. The Dog Pound doesn't appear to be as organized even compared to a couple of years ago. There's also a noticeable drop in hockey knowledge among the current student fans. One of my big pet peeves with the current student fans is whenever they start cheering en masse when BU gains possession of the puck towards the offensive zone; it reminds me of what bandwagon BC and UMASS fans did whenever I went to games @ Conte and @ Mullins.

- Students (Part 2): The student demographic at BU has shifted even since the start of this decade. BU is more competitive than ever academically and admissions-wise. I think one byproduct of that is that there are more students than ever at BU for whom college athletics is not a priority nor even an area of interest.

- Recent Alumni: There seems to be an alarming lack of recent grads who attend games. Even many of the hard core Dog Pound members from just a few years ago are nowhere to be seen, including some whom I believe still live in greater Boston. I know some of this is also attributed to the seemingly mass exodus of BU grads to other parts of the country/world to start their careers or for grad school.

- Arena Management: As brassbonanza mentioned, arena security going to extremes in years past to curb the student fan experience. Not to mention the lack of proactive, creative marketing and outreach on campus, off-campus and online.

- Scheduling: The front-loaded home schedule. 8 home games by the 1st week of November. 6 home games by the 1st week of November was the most BU has ever scheduled (2015-16); in most other years it's been anywhere between 2-5 home games by this point of the calendar. Too much too soon?

The "red flags" have been there the last couple of years, but the attendance decline this year has been precipitous. I'm sure it's been noticed by the players and coaches.
              Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

A few quick observations:

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                - Students (Part 1): Steep drop in student interest/knowledge in the program. The Dog Pound doesn't appear to be as organized even compared to a couple of years ago. There's also a noticeable drop in hockey knowledge among the current student fans. One of my big pet peeves with the current student fans is whenever they start cheering en masse when BU gains possession of the puck towards the offensive zone; it reminds me of what bandwagon BC and UMASS fans did whenever I went to games @ Conte and @ Mullins.
                The student section has been on a downward spiral since the 90's. No smart chants, spelling out T-E-R-R-I-E-R-S, etc. They even need an adult to fire them up.

- Students (Part 2): The student demographic at BU has shifted even since the start of this decade. BU is more competitive than ever academically and admissions-wise. I think one byproduct of that is that there are more students than ever at BU for whom college athletics is not a priority nor even an area of interest.
                BU has had the same issues since at least the 80's. Anyone remember when BU had football? Few students went to the games when they did.

- Arena Management: As brassbonanza mentioned, arena security going to extremes in years past to curb the student fan experience. Not to mention the lack of proactive, creative marketing and outreach on campus, off-campus and online.
                I can't speck to security, but BU has had proactive, creative marketing and outreach. I see the social media efforts BU does, as well as some of the on campus efforts. What do you suggest they do differently or more of?

- Scheduling: The front-loaded home schedule. 8 home games by the 1st week of November. 6 home games by the 1st week of November was the most BU has ever scheduled (2015-16); in most other years it's been anywhere between 2-5 home games by this point of the calendar. Too much too soon?
                A minor point, but you are counting the Canadian exhibition game. In the past home attendance has mostly been quite good for the first half dozen (non-exhibition) games since Agganis opened, except for 2013-14. Maybe having so many games in September/October did spread out the attendance, but still, not one game topped 4,500, which most early games in past seasons have done. So there is more to it than just the number of games in October. It is likely the 2 losses to Minnesota State hurt attendance, since most regular BU fans likely thought they should be wins. The continued poor play, especially at Agganis, is only likely to further depress attendance.

The "red flags" have been there the last couple of years, but the attendance decline this year has been precipitous. I'm sure it's been noticed by the players and coaches.
                Yes, the median attendance to date is the second worst since Agganis opened, ahead of only 2013-14. However, there are still some big home games upcoming including UNH on Saturday and BC next month and Maine in January.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

The student section has been on a downward spiral since the 90's. No smart chants, spelling out T-E-R-R-I-E-R-S, etc. They even need an adult to fire them up.
                  I think up 'til a few years ago there was consistent leadership within the student section. Even if one didn't agree w/ the chants (i.e. vulgarity), at least the energy level was more sustained during the earlier Agganis years.

BU has had the same issues since at least the 80's. Anyone remember when BU had football? Few students went to the games when they did.
                  Valid points. Maybe it's not the student demographic and more so in the product??? When BU football had those 2 very successful years in the 90s, there were several games where Nickerson was packed.

If BU had won the NC in 2015, would that have resulted in strengthening the student fan base? Would another generational-type player like Eichel retain interest amongst students? Perhaps going to a 2+ hour live sporting event doesn't mesh with the instant gratification and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately (lack of) attention span that typifies the current student generation?

BU has had proactive, creative marketing and outreach. I see the social media efforts BU does, as well as some of the on campus efforts. What do you suggest they do differently or more of?
                  It's very possible that out of those who follow the hockey program and/or BU Athletics' social media accounts, there's a significant portion of followers that are outside greater Boston as well as those who are already supporting the program via attendance. While it may be an effective means for those fans to stay up to date about the program, it may not be moving the needle among those within greater Boston whom they're attempting to engage with and convert those people into increased attendance.

A minor point, but you are counting the Canadian exhibition game. In the past home attendance has mostly been quite good for the first half dozen (non-exhibition) games since Agganis opened, except for 2013-14. Maybe having so many games in September/October did spread out the attendance, but still, not one game topped 4,500, which most early games in past seasons have done. So there is more to it than just the number of games in October. It is likely the 2 losses to Minnesota State hurt attendance, since most regular BU fans likely thought they should be wins. The continued poor play, especially at Agganis, is only likely to further depress attendance.

Yes, the median attendance to date is the second worst since Agganis opened, ahead of only 2013-14. However, there are still some big home games upcoming including UNH on Saturday and BC next month and Maine in January.
                  For my comps, I included all previous years' October exhibition games. The alarm for me, especially when compared to even a year ago, is that there hasn't been a single game where attendance has topped 4,500. Even last season the 10/22/2016 Quinnipiac and the 11/05/2016 Northeastern games topped 5,500; however, those were the 2nd & 3rd regular-season home games last season compared to 7 RS home games already this season. When this most recent NU game on the same 1st Saturday in November couldn't even top 3,900, that comp w/ the previous year is particularly troublesome.

Comment

good news is bu didn't lose last night!
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                      One of my big pet peeves with the current student fans is whenever they start cheering en masse when BU gains possession of the puck towards the offensive zone.
                      At last Friday’s Providence game, nothing of any note was going on (at least IMO) when suddenly this huge roar went up. I starting looking around saying “What happened??” People must have thought I was nuts. Apparently BU had “gained possession.” Jeez...big whoop! Have times changed...

Comment

• Attendance

I added day of the game to my spreadsheet and crunched the numbers since Agganis Arena opened. To date there have been 241 games played: 98 on Friday, 108 on Saturday, 13 on Sunday, 2 on Monday, 12 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday and 5 on Thursday.

Here are the median attendance figures:
                        Overall
                        all (241): 5,009
                        2016-17 (18): 4,541
                        2017-18 (7): 3,897
                        Friday
                        all (98): 5,018
                        2016-17 (7): 4,335
                        2017-18 (4): 3,623
                        Saturday
                        all (108): 5,227
                        2016-17 (6): 5,280
                        2017-18 (3): 4,056

Saturday's median is over 200 higher than Friday's, which supports Coach Parker's view that Saturday games are better attended. The difference was even more pronounced last season, when the difference was over 900 between the two nights. This season the difference is still significant at over 400, and it is likely to widen as there are 7 Saturday games left and only 2 Friday games left.

To date, this season's attendance is way off even last season, but I think it may recover some.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Re: Attendance

I added day of the game to my spreadsheet and crunched the numbers since Agganis Arena opened. To date there have been 241 games played: 98 on Friday, 108 on Saturday, 13 on Sunday, 2 on Monday, 12 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday and 5 on Thursday.

Overall
                          Friday
                          Saturday

Saturday's median is over 200 higher than Friday's, which supports Coach Parker's view that Saturday games are better attended. The difference was even more pronounced last season, when the difference was over 900 between the two nights. This season the difference is still significant at over 400, and it is likely to widen as there are 7 Saturday games left and only 2 Friday games left.

To date, this season's attendance is way off even last season, but I think it may recover some.

Sean
                          Interesting stuff...maybe some of the decline is due to the visiting teams that have played at BU so far this season....Minnesota St twice certainly didnt bring many visiting fans. Same with Denver despite their high ranking.

Comment

Overall
                            Friday
                            Saturday

Sean
                            Interesting info! I also wonder how much of the Fri/Sat disparity of late has to do with the amount of construction on Comm Ave and surrounding area over the past two years. The whole area has been a year-round construction zone in some part since 2015.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              Interesting info! I also wonder how much of the Fri/Sat disparity of late has to do with the amount of construction on Comm Ave and surrounding area over the past two years. The whole area has been a year-round construction zone in some part since 2015.
                              I wonder if it's worth considering moving Friday games to a 7pm start time again. Is 7:30pm perhaps too late for some fans on Fridays, especially those who live/work outside Boston and attend games with their child(ren). And with home games now available online for free, did that create a case of the law of unintended consequences (re: on attendance)?

Comment

Sean - Thanks for the analysis!

It got me digging a bit deeper into Friday & Saturday regular-season attendance in recent years, starting with the 2009-10 seasons. From 2009-10 thru 2011-12, there was a discernible gap between Friday & Saturday attendance supporting Coach Parker's belief.

BU moved the start times of Friday games from 7pm -> 7:30pm prior to the 2012-13 season. From the 2012-13 through 2014-15 seasons, Friday regular-season games actually outdrew Saturday regular-season games based on average attendance. However, that trend has shifted back towards Saturday being a draw in the last 2+ seasons.

Season FRI SAT DIFF (Sat vs. Fri)
                                2017-2018 3727 4052 325
                                2016-2017 4546 5283 737
                                2015-2016 4537 5063 526
                                ------------------
                                2014-2015 5260 4920 -340
                                2013-2014 4331 4110 -221
                                2012-2013 5096 4645 -451
                                ========== Friday start times moved to 7:30pm
                                2011-2012 5073 5637 636
                                2010-2011 5005 5495 490
                                2009-2010 5075 5631 556