X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I highly doubt it if Potomak, Brandt and Kessel went scoreless in the final four that gopher fans would be blaming the second and 3rd lines. In fact, last year in the Final Four Minnesota had 6 goals in 2 games, their first line had 5 of them and a D scored the other.
    The onus to score has pretty much always been on the Gophers top line. And in all 6 of their NCAA championship game wins they have produced. In 2012 though, it was the 2nd lines West and Erickson that had the memorable goals in my mind and in 2015 I remember the 2nd lines Lorence and Bona both scored. 2nd line center Pannek scored the 3rd goal against BC last year.

If the 1st line hadn't produced and the team lost I certainly would not have blamed the 2nd or 3rd lines. If those two lines generally break even, I consider it mission accomplished.

I'd probably blame the other team for the loss, especially if they had green uniforms.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM. Reason: Pannek's goal
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Someday I'll watch the dvr'ed game to see how it played out from the overhead perspective. We sat behind the UW goal near the band, so I'm lacking perspective of how UW played in the O zone the 1st and 3rd period.

It's a shame the 2nd and 3rd lines kinda melted away the last part of the season. Norby went stone cold and Roque didn't generate chances like she did early in the season.
      If you think the 2nd, 3rd lines, Roque, & Norby melted away and didn't produce scoring chances in the last part of the season you really need to loosen your Chin Strap. Roque was creating more chances than anyone on the ice! Norby was getting great opportunities while providing defensive support with a relentless Back Check. Most teams are not looking to there Freshman to win them National Championships! I thought they had a great Freshman Season and look forward to them having a VERY productive seasons over the next 3 years.

Comment

Controlling play = 0 goals. Without the 2nd and 3rd lines scoring this last weekend or in the games @ UM, UW is just another very good team and not a great team.
        Clarkson's first line has 6 goals and 7 assists over the weekend, with the only remaining goal being scored by a defensemen. I am a bit confused, how did Clarkson win a National Championship without their 2nd and 3rd lines scoring??? Perhaps the answer is under you felmet!

Comment

Controlling play = 0 goals. Without the 2nd and 3rd lines scoring this last weekend or in the games @ UM, UW is just another very good team and not a great team.
          In a 5, 7, or even a 3 game series I would be inclined to agree with this comment when over a course of games the better team usually wears down the opponent. But, in a one game winner take all scenario then your top line must produce. Your best players have to be the best players on the ice especially if they are all on one line. In many press conferences this year coach Johnson has said just that. UW's third line seemed to control play and keep the opponent pinned in the offensive zone for a good part of their shifts. (From what I could tell on TV). Even though they didn't score, that is their job- to wear down the opponent and not give up anything. Scoring a goal would have no doubt helped and been a big bonus. First line must score though. That being said, no one player or line should be blamed for this loss. It was a really fun year to be a Badger fan! Just not the ending we all wanted.
          Last edited by rangersrule; 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Still a bit of a hangover from last weekend. I'd be more hung over if I just watched from home, the 6 hour drive home helped de-compress and spending time with the sons and my sister is always a lot of fun.

I like to think ahead.....It's probably safe to assume Pankowski and Clark will get centralized. That leaves UW with these F:

Wellhausen
            Cogan
            Shaver
            Roque
            Norby
            Mauermann
            Kepler

That list in itself is a shock to the system, 7 forwards with D1 experience and 3 are sophomores. Incoming freshmen F:

Schneider
            Posick
            Drake
            Hanzlick
            Pettet
            Shirley

Doing a little research, Drake and Hanzlik are teammates @ NAHA, both scoring 22 pts in 24 games, ironically, both had 8G 14A. For reference the leading scoring F on the team had 26 pts. The leading scorer in that league had 49 pts. Maybe not as high flying stats as one would want to see, but they are only numbers and the eye test in October will tell all as usual.

One of their teammates is a future UW goalie, Cami Kronish (2018), .925 / 2.18. Kronish's stats are good for 4th best in both categories in the league.
            Last edited by Timothy A; 03-24-2017, 09:39 PM.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Still a bit of a hangover from last weekend. I'd be more hung over if I just watched from home, the 6 hour drive home helped de-compress and spending time with the sons and my sister is always a lot of fun.

I like to think ahead.....It's probably safe to assume Pankowski and Clark will get centralized. That leaves UW with these F:

Cogan
              Shaver
              Roque
              Norby
              Mauermann
              Kepler

That list in itself is a shock to the system, 6 forwards with D1 experience and 3 are sophomores. Incoming freshmen F:

Schneider
              Posick
              Drake
              Hanzlick
              Pettet
              Shirley

Doing a little research, Drake and Hanzlik are teammates @ NAHA, both scoring 22 pts in 24 games, ironically, both had 8G 14A. For reference the leading scoring F on the team had 26 pts. The leading scorer in that league had 49 pts. Maybe not as high flying stats as one would want to see, but they are only numbers and the eye test in October will tell all as usual.

One of their teammates is a future UW goalie, Cami Kronish (2018), .925 / 2.18. Kronish's stats are good for 4th best in both categories in the league.
              When doing all your research you might want to add the highest returning (if Pankowski and Clark are Olympics bound) goal scorer from this past years team --Wellhausen to your list. Her 15 goals were 4th highest on the team and I believe she was 9th in goal scoring in the WCHA. Kepler and Wellhausen will be the only returning senior forwards too if Pankowski and Clark do in fact get centralized. It will be a younger team overall next season but, I am very optimistic about this group. 3 of the 4 seniors returning have all played integral parts in the success of the UW program over the last 3 seasons. Goaltending will be the biggest question mark, but Cece played well when given the chance going 4-1 with a 1.60 GAA. It will be a far more wide open conference next season with the top 3 teams (UW, UM, UMD) all losing key members due to graduation/Olympics. However, both UW and UM seemed to have reloaded with their respective freshman classes coming in.
              Last edited by rangersrule; 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                When doing all your research you might want to add the highest returning (if Pankowski and Clark are Olympics bound) goal scorer from this past years team --Wellhausen to your list. Her 15 goals were 4th highest on the team and I believe she was 9th in goal scoring in the WCHA. Kepler and Wellhausen will be the only returning senior forwards too if Pankowski and Clark do in fact get centralized. It will be a younger team overall next season but, I am very optimistic about this group. 3 of the 4 seniors returning have all played integral parts in the success of the UW program over the last 3 seasons. Goaltending will be the biggest question mark, but Cece played well when given the chance going 4-1 with a 1.60 GAA. It will be a far more wide open conference next season with the top 3 teams (UW, UM, UMD) all losing key members due to graduation/Olympics. However, both UW and UM seemed to have reloaded with their respective freshman classes coming in.
                Now all of the Nay-Sayers will see how important a great goalie is. Even when seeing only 15-25 shots a game. Stats showed that ARD was the best goalie in NCAA history. More than half (I believe) of her games were shutouts. That's NUTS!!! The Nay-Sayers have no idea how hard it is to play in games like that and post shutouts. Tips, shots off of skates, scrums in front of the net...I can't tell you how many times I've seen great goalies give up 2 goals on the first 3 or 4 shots. Someone already stated...It's not the number of shots but instead the quality of shots.

ARD will be missed even more than her best fans know. She was a class act and hopefully will not be overlooked by Hockey Canada.

Comment

The
                  Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                  It will be a far more wide open conference next season with the top 3 teams (UW, UM, UMD) all losing key members due to graduation/Olympics. However, both UW and UM seemed to have reloaded with their respective freshman classes coming in.
                  This caused me to recheck what I read before Christmas and it doesn't appear that The 'Dogs intend to be left out of the party come next October.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey

Comment

How could I forget Wellhausen.....Yikes.

Comment

Wellhausen
                      Cogan
                      Shaver
                      Roque
                      Norby
                      Mauermann
                      Kepler

That list in itself is a shock to the system, 7 forwards with D1 experience and 3 are sophomores. Incoming freshmen F:

Schneider
                      Posick
                      Drake
                      Hanzlick
                      Pettet
                      Shirley

It is interesting that they will have 13 forwards even if Pankowski and Clark are Olympic bound. Curious which two freshmen crack the top 3 lines (assuming Mauermann is on one of those lines). I assume Shirley is a lock, but just don't know enough about the others. On the chance that neither Pankowski and Clark are taken, would they then redshirt some players?

Looking forward to seeing what Kepler can do. Always seemed to do well against the Badgers. A rare one-and-done transfer for Wisconsin.

Also, did I miss something, I thought Rolfes was granted a redshirt? Only played in the first ten games two years ago. Was that past the limit? That really sucks if she just has to eat that year.

Comment

Shirley is the Real Deal! Unfortunately, she will be centralized by Canada. Immediate difference makers for next year will be Schneider who has ridiculous speed, Drake who just gets it, & Kepler who should be a nice addition with an incredible shot & a physical presence in front of the net... which is needed! On defense the addition of Bowlby & Buchbinder will give u a very strong defensive core that will be needed with the two young Goaltenders. Belesi & Cece will be fighting for the starting job that could be a true rotation to start. Going to be a lunch bucket team that will be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                          Shirley is the Real Deal! Unfortunately, she will be centralized by Canada.
                          No! UW needs at least 1 elite F next year, either Clark, Pankowski or Shirley. That would suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                            Also, did I miss something, I thought Rolfes was granted a redshirt? Only played in the first ten games two years ago. Was that past the limit? That really sucks if she just has to eat that year.
                            I noticed the (RS) was not on the program at the end of the year as it was in the beginning, so I texted that question to Milewski. He said that was going to get figured out after the end of the season. Maybe she'll be graduating after 4 years and won't want to play a 5th year. UW will have 6 D on the roster for 18-19 w/o Rolfes barring any changes.

Comment

I noticed the (RS) was not on the program at the end of the year as it was in the beginning, so I texted that question to Milewski. He said that was going to get figured out after the end of the season. Maybe she'll be graduating after 4 years and won't want to play a 5th year. UW will have 6 D on the roster for 18-19 w/o Rolfes barring any changes.
                              I would think that she would at least like the option for a 5th year. Probably some obscure NCAA rule popped up. It's a little frustrating to lose a year like that...assuming it wasn't her choice.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBadger View Post
                                Shirley is the Real Deal! Unfortunately, she will be centralized by Canada. Immediate difference makers for next year will be Schneider who has ridiculous speed, Drake who just gets it, & Kepler who should be a nice addition with an incredible shot & a physical presence in front of the net... which is needed! On defense the addition of Bowlby & Buchbinder will give u a very strong defensive core that will be needed with the two young Goaltenders. Belesi & Cece will be fighting for the starting job that could be a true rotation to start. Going to be a lunch bucket team that will be fun to watch.
                                Nice breakdown on some of the newcomers. Never occurred to me that they might lose another player to the Olympics. It's been awhile since they've gone into the off-season without knowing who the #1 goalie will be. Seems like Cece would have an edge having logged some solid minutes and did decently.

Comment

Working...
                                X