IT'S ST. NORBERT....Drop the "S" at the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IT'S ST. NORBERT....Drop the "S" at the end

It's been a great year for Tim Coghlin. He won an NCAA hockey title and the Super Bowl seven weeks apart.

Comment

I'm always pretty good at referring to SUNY Brockport as "The College at Brockport" because it's just soooooo necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
        Well, they were OSC on the 1980 rink scoreboard.
        Funny you mention that because I went with Oswego students who complained about that. I explained the difference to him between SUNY colleges (Geneseo/Oswego/Plattsburgh/Fredonia/Buffalo St./Brockport/Potsdam/etc.) versus 'University centers' (Buffalo/Stony Brook/Binghamton/Albany) and that "OSC" is technically more correct than "OSU" and the U that some of the colleges are adding at the end is probably more of a marketing thing, but should never be used in any formal setting (graduation, a job application, etc). He still wasn't a big fan of the "OSC" but I am interested to hear that the previous generation of Oz alums don't like the "OSU."
        Geneseo Ice Knights Color Commentator 2008 - 2009

Listen to GSU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SB in the 'Seo View Post
          I am interested to hear that the previous generation of Oz alums don't like the "OSU."
          Agreed- we're a college, not a university center.

"Oswego is one of 13 university colleges in the 64-campus SUNY system. As a comprehensive college, Oswego offers more than 110 majors, minors, cooperative and graduate programs."
          Oswego State 1980 Grad
          (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

For those of you outside of NY.....I have been told that the State of New York has much more oversight over colleges and universities than most states. One of the things they are insistent on is a strict view of what it takes to be a University. Many places it is just one or more graduate programs. In NY a school must have 2 or 3 (not sure which) research based doctoral programs. That means Neumann University in PA would not have been able to change its name from College several years ago if they were in NY. Schools like Colgate and St. Lawrence (and I am sure some others in the state) were called universities long before anyone cared about this difference and their University status has been grandfathered. Neither would be a university if they had been founded in the past 100 years. The point here is that the SUNY Colleges at...... are called that based on the New York education department rule. On an interesting note, MA had similar naming guide lines until last year when the Governor of the State made (I think all of) the state colleges into state universities by (I think) executive order.
            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

It is common to append the apostrophe S to the end of a school or a church named after a saint. I went to an elementary school named St. Gabriel, but everybody called it "St. Gabriel's." Nobody meant any disrespect by it, but that's just what we said. That obviously doesn't mean it's correct, but it it is just a habitual thing.

Evidently, some schools do use the apostrophe S officially: http://www.sju.edu/
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                It is common to append the apostrophe S to the end of a school or a church named after a saint. I went to an elementary school named St. Gabriel, but everybody called it "St. Gabriel's." Nobody meant any disrespect by it, but that's just what we said. That obviously doesn't mean it's correct, but it it is just a habitual thing.

Evidently, some schools do use the apostrophe S officially: http://www.sju.edu/
                That is true - and proper usage. The St Norbert's Men's Hockey team won the National Championship, but it is not St Norberts College - It is St Norbert College.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I would tend to agree with this discussion. Norms always good at makings points.
                  LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

I don't give a 'wick which way 'wego with Norbert's name....
                    .....but for the record let's avoid referring to my team as Adrain.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                      I don't give a 'wick which way 'wego with Norbert's name....
                      .....but for the record let's avoid referring to my team as Adrain.
                      I think you are all wet with commercial precipitation
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                        It's been a great year for Tim Coghlin. He won an NCAA hockey title and the Super Bowl seven weeks apart.
                        Nice!
                        SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                          ...To solve this problem, I suggest relaxing. Who cares about a silly extra letter? People posting on this board are not writing professionally each time they post.
                          I agree
                          BTW Isn't it State University of New York at Oswego

Proud Grandpa of Haley,Adam & Luke
                          A Retired shop teacher and proud of it (35 years )

OSWEGO STATE Almost class of 1973

OSWEGO STATE LAKERS 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                          Oswego, from the Indian Oshwakee, "the flowing out of the waters."
                          Arizona State Class of 1974
                          ASU THE ACHA D1 2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                          Arizona based on the Pima Indian word arizonac, meaning "little spring place."

Comment

Why yes....yes it is. SUNY Oswego, perhaps a new chant can come from this; SUN YO, SUN YO, SUN YO...
                            Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Or as we used to call it- SUCO (suck-oh)
                              Oswego State 1980 Grad

Comment

Come to think of it, if you left Lake Placid and headed down to Albany, you had to pass through St. Huberts on Rt. 73. No apostrophe, no possessive.
                                Oswego State 1980 Grad

Comment

Working...
                                X