• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.29: Eggs and Tweet Storms for Breakfast

Originally posted by Bigus Paulus View Post
    Trump considered her a model employee.
    Emphasis on "model".
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      A lot of these public works contracts already require American steel.

Even our company stopped requiring an evaluation of sourcing materials from overseas.
      I believe it and some things are not terrible in moderation. But an industry wide application of that kind of tariff is another question. From the Atlantic:

It is true that American steel producers would benefit from higher prices, and steel stocks are already up considerably on the prospect. But there are far more manufacturing workers in industries buying steel than selling it, businesses that would suffer from higher input costs. This is not modeling or speculation. Back in 2002, President George W. Bush put tariffs of up to 30 percent on steel imports from around the world, causing domestic prices to spike.That led to about 200,000 people losing their jobs in manufacturing, one analysis found—more than were working in the entire steel industry. Every state experienced job losses, with Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania among the worst-hit.

...and the above analysis says nothing increased prices paid by consumers or about retribution by affected foreign countries.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...merica/534339/
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        I believe it and some things are not terrible in moderation. But an industry wide application of that kind of tariff is another question. From the Atlantic:

It is true that American steel producers would benefit from higher prices, and steel stocks are already up considerably on the prospect. But there are far more manufacturing workers in industries buying steel than selling it, businesses that would suffer from higher input costs. This is not modeling or speculation. Back in 2002, President George W. Bush put tariffs of up to 30 percent on steel imports from around the world, causing domestic prices to spike.That led to about 200,000 people losing their jobs in manufacturing, one analysis found—more than were working in the entire steel industry. Every state experienced job losses, with Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania among the worst-hit.

...and the above analysis says nothing increased prices paid by consumers or about retribution by affected foreign countries.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...merica/534339/
        Not sure why pols don't take a different approach.

Aside from banning "dumping" of steel at below cost prices, couldn't the gubmint just subsidize US steel producers via tax policy to bring down their costs to Chinese steel levels (the biggest producer with over half the world market I believe). That wouldn't raise the price but would allow the domestic manufacturers to compete. You'd have to chalk it up to a national security issue I suppose in order to not run afoul of trade agreements but I don't Chump and the boys would have a problem with that.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

How's that Best People thing working out for everyone? Everyone enjoying it?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Melania was given "Einstein Visa".

WASHINGTON – In 2000, Melania Knauss, a Slovenian model dating Donald Trump, began petitioning the government for the right to permanently reside in the United States under a program reserved for people with “extraordinary ability.”

Knauss’ credentials included runway shows in Europe, a Camel cigarette billboard ad in Times Square and — in her biggest job at the time — a spot in the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated, which featured her on the beach in a string bikini, hugging a six-foot inflatable whale.

In March 2001, she was granted a green card in the elite EB-1 program, which was designed for renowned academic researchers, multinational business executives or those in other fields, such as Olympic athletes and Oscar-winning actors, who demonstrated “sustained national and international acclaim.”

“We called it the Einstein visa,” said Bruce Morrison, a former Democratic congressman and chairman of the House subcommittee that wrote the Immigration Act of 1990 defining EB-1.
            http://www.startribune.com/questions...isa/475541933/

Trump should be in jail.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Now we're screwed.

http://www.startribune.com/putin-boa...ons/475507143/

MOSCOW — Russia has tested an array of new strategic nuclear weapons that can't be intercepted, President Vladimir Putin declared Thursday, claiming a technological breakthrough that could dramatically increase Russia's military capability, boost the Kremlin's global position and also raise Western concerns about a potential renewed arms race in the 21st century.

Speaking in a state-of-the-nation speech, Putin said the weapons include a nuclear-powered cruise missile, a nuclear-powered underwater drone and new hypersonic missile that have no equivalent elsewhere in the world. He said the creation of the new weapons has made NATO's U.S.-led missile defense "useless," and means an effective end to what he described as Western efforts to stymie Russia's development.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                I think we've been screwed for awhile now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Time to buy stock in defense companies. Congre$$ is going to poop billions to close the missile gap.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Not sure why pols don't take a different approach.

Aside from banning "dumping" of steel at below cost prices, couldn't the gubmint just subsidize US steel producers via tax policy to bring down their costs to Chinese steel levels (the biggest producer with over half the world market I believe). That wouldn't raise the price but would allow the domestic manufacturers to compete. You'd have to chalk it up to a national security issue I suppose in order to not run afoul of trade agreements but I don't Chump and the boys would have a problem with that.
                    Now you're picking winners and losers again. Trumpy's already quit subsidizing solar and wind, cause, you know, we can't do that sort of thing, so why do it here?

I thought it was all about free markets?
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      How's that Best People thing working out for everyone? Everyone enjoying it?
                      Not particularly well for Jared "the next Kissinger" Kushner or Ben "pathological temper" like the sickness of a "child molester" Carson.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        One of the most interesting, though depressing, things about this presidency has been watching how people go about justifying their support for Trump. No matter how idiotic his declarations and policy measures are, folks defend him, actively or passively. When else have we been able to observe people react to a child in office?
                        It's fascinating psychology, though. The reactionary mind stripped bare of all pretense and simply on display. We're watching the Good Germans up close. Ideological blindness is a very impressive phenomenon.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          My guess is Mueller has something on Hicks and she knows it. Something she said put her in harm's way. I smell another deal coming and a tell all in 2020
                          Agreed. There is no way we'll ever see Hicks in an orange jumpsuit - she has the two "trump" cards of being rich and female.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Agreed. There is no way we'll ever see Hicks in an orange jumpsuit - she has the two "trump" cards of being rich and female.
                            It's not female -- Rikers is full of females. It's pretty white female.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Now you're picking winners and losers again. Trumpy's already quit subsidizing solar and wind, cause, you know, we can't do that sort of thing, so why do it here?

I thought it was all about free markets?
                              Tariffs. We financed the entire government prior to WW1 using tariffs.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Tariffs. We financed the entire government prior to WW1 using tariffs.
                                And we powered the entire economy before 1800 on horsepower and slaves.

Good morning. We're running a modern nation.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X