X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2016-2017

Originally posted by pensrule View Post
    A beautifully written piece on the UW Badger Womens Hockey website by forward Baylee Wellhausen. She writes her blog before every weekend's games but, this one really hits home... Get your Kleenex out..
    Succinct, yet powerful. Well done, Baylee. Thoughts and prayers are with Sophia and her family.

Comment

Game observations......reffing sucked. 16 so called penalties, Bauer and Enge were clueless.

Roque seemed to have the puck on her stick all night, very impressive. Mauermann looked good in Shaver's spot. Nurse/McKibbon/Norby is still out of sync. Nurse is not getting nearly enough good looks. I like Gardner's shake and bake for a D.

What is the protocol for stopping play for an injured player? An OSU player was laying on the ice clearly not getting up for at least 15 seconds before the whistle blew. UW even ended up getting a 2-0 out of it as she laid there in her own D zone when the puck came back in.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Game observations......reffing sucked. 16 so called penalties, Bauer and Enge were clueless.

Roque seemed to have the puck on her stick all night, very impressive. Mauermann looked good in Shaver's spot. Nurse/McKibbon/Norby is still out of sync. Nurse is not getting nearly enough good looks. I like Gardner's shake and bake for a D.

What is the protocol for stopping play for an injured player? An OSU player was laying on the ice clearly not getting up for at least 15 seconds before the whistle blew. UW even ended up getting a 2-0 out of it as she laid there in her own D zone when the puck came back in.
        The stripes stunk the joint out in Bemidji despite calling only a third as many. The Beavers got away with a lot of holding & interference. I'm used to seeing poor calls but not so one-sided.

I don't know the official rules but observation suggest that if the injured player's team gains the puck the whistle blows, if the puck is in the player's D zone & then is cleared the whistle blows. If the attacking team has the puck in their offensive zone & the defensive player is down a long time it seems there is a lot of discretion as to how long is long enough.

Comment

What is the protocol for stopping play for an injured player?
          I believe it is similar to the basketball rule, where the whistle goes if the team with the injured player gets control or if the injured player is in imminent danger. For something like a player cut by a skate and bleeding all over or crashing head first into the boards and not moving, then player safety should take precedence over the game. This rule leads to a lot of heroic efforts by players to make it off the ice, particularly when a leg is clearly not functioning.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            The Beavers got away with a lot of holding & interference. I'm used to seeing poor calls but not so one-sided.
            I'd be okay with all of the non-calls if not for the weak call on Baldwin to create the 5-on-3. If you let something go all game, don't suddenly make a call that could decide the game. That's my biggest complaint with the younger WCHA referees -- they don't seem to have any feel for the game and when they should/shouldn't become involved.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I believe it is similar to the basketball rule, where the whistle goes if the team with the injured player gets control or if the injured player is in imminent danger. For something like a player cut by a skate and bleeding all over or crashing head first into the boards and not moving, then player safety should take precedence over the game. This rule leads to a lot of heroic efforts by players to make it off the ice, particularly when a leg is clearly not functioning.
              the player was Jessica Dunne, who took a slapshot to the knee near the left faceoff circle that rebounded out to center ice. It was during a Ohio PK with sister Jincy Dunne in the box. She was down in the faceoff circle, and wasn't going anywhere without help.

The good news was/is that Jessica make it back onto the ice in the 3rd period, to pick up her second penalty of the night. In all, the Dunne family had three.

(The refs were horribly inconsistent, both ways. Each team could have had four or five more penalties, based on what was called. The refs either needed to call many more, or - preferably - many fewer.)

Comment

Kind of an odd vibe last night. Big crowd with no band (even though no other competing game on-campus). I know it was the season opener, but it was one of the bigger crowds I can remember for an early October game.

Rolled in 5 minutes late and, of course, missed the quick goal by Clark. For the first two periods, the Badgers just seemed a little out of sync. Ohio State is a physically big team. I thought so just watching them, then when I checked the roster, 19 out of 22 players are 5'8" or taller.

Even though Desbiens only faced 15 shots, several of them were high-quality scoring chances caused by defensive lapses, which is frustrating.

Game seemed to change on the 2nd Clark goal. If memory serves, she came charging up the left side and when the defensemen fell down, it was game over. She seemed to provide a high majority of the energy from the top 2 lines. On the other hand, the Wellhausen-Roque-Mauermann line was engaged all night. Wellhausen and Mauermann were giving up a ton of height/weight, but were getting to loose pucks and were fairly strong with the puck. As said above, Roque looked very comfortable and always around the puck.

The 3rd period shifted to the Badgers. It's where the depth really pays off. They had energy left and Ohio State looked gassed. Plus there had to be some frustration. Buckeyes were playing pretty well (Sauve was really solid in goal) and still on the wrong end of a 3-0 game.

Lastly, congrats to Desbiens for breaking Vetter's career shutout streak.

Quick turnaround with a 1:00 face-off today. It'll be interesting what the energy levels are for both teams.

Comment

"Rolled in 5 minutes late and, of course, missed the quick goal by Clark."

That means you also missed the ugliest of the bad give-aways by the D. Within the first minute, a no look pass across Desbien's crease with nobody in white to receive the pass. Big save by Desbien in the first thirty seconds (?) of the game.

"Ohio State is a physically big team."

Badger freshman forwards: 5' 5", 5' 2", 5' 7", 5' 6"

I thought their passing was not sharp; many times, a slightly off pass killed the skater's momentum, leading to missed opportunities. They looked like a team that has only been together a couple weeks. They'll get much, much better.

Comment

If OSU is really good at one component of their defense, it's the "make the right plays to prevent good scoring chances while in stuck in your own zone" component. They were good and bad, which was interesting to watch.
                    Last edited by WiscDC; 10-08-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Tied Ohio 1-1, LOL!!! Perhaps more time practicing shooting the puck to score.... perhaps to much hype for this team

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                        .... perhaps to much hype for this team
                        Perhaps, or maybe TOO much good OSU goaltending or TOO much good OSU team defense or TOO many shots hitting the pipes/crossbar. Hard to say, probably TOO early to tell.
                        Last edited by Badger Booster; 10-08-2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                          If OSU is really good at one component of their defense, it's the "make the right plays to prevent good scoring chances while in stuck in your own zone" component. They were good and bad, which was interesting to watch.
                          exactly. Same for BSU, they pin the puck to the boards & just grind & grind then they clog the slot & pray they can get a goal. Sometimes it works. It's early and no team goes undefeated. We can send OSU and BSU postcards from Sr. Charles this March.

Comment

I thought the Badgers actually played a little better today or at least more evenly throughout the game compared to last night. Played with a sense of urgency for most of the game, just couldn't solve Sauve until the late game-tying goal (though did hit a crossbar once or twice).

The shoot-out really is a dink way to earn an extra full point. With that said, the Roque goal was easily the sweetest move/shot of the shoot-out. I was initially surprised when she came up as the 2nd Badger shooter. They should at least go to best-of-5 if they are committed to it. Has there been any talk of going 4-on-4 in OT?

Overall, I liked what I saw this weekend and the tie today doesn't look as bad with some of the other upsets in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                              Has there been any talk of going 4-on-4 in OT?
                              It was discussed, but they're not doing it (for now): http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...roposal-tabled

Comment

Anyone here going to Potsdam next weekend?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X