Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    One consequence is that it could no longer be the national governing body for hockey in the U.S. One thing that the Amateur Sports Act is clear on is that, if a sport is featured for both men and women in the Olympics, the USOC can only recognize a governing body that represents both the men and the women. If USA Hockey split, it would effectively cease to be. So, this is a non-starter.
    Interesting, thanks for the info.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Does anyone know if any men's national team-level players have come out in support of the women?

Comment

Originally posted by IDK View Post
        Does anyone know if any men's national team-level players have come out in support of the women?
        Some former olympians have-John Carlson, Brooks Orpik and Kevin Shattenkirk, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
          Brooks Orpik
          NlCE.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Patty Kaz (expenditures)? Concussions (younger players)? Ultimately no thread on the forum is going to be untouched by this issue:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/s...e=sectionfront

Comment

I am still unclear as to where the Dues we pay to USA hockey go. Does it go into one big pool of money that the men and women take from or does it go only towards women's USA Hockey?

The idea that Junior girls would go with all the pressure against them is laughable. Too many high school and college coaches would never support those individual girls again. I only see some D3 senior girls maybe not caring and are at an age where they can not be blackballed later.

What matters most to USA hockey that will make this happen? It Will have nothing to do with past Olympians. I think it comes down to jobs threatened and Money.

But what if USA hockey is telling the truth? Are they responsible for keeping these players paid? Do we worry about Bobsleders or Men's Indoor Volleyball the same way? They all have to train and I wonder how they are supported besides coming together for a few tournaments a year and getting food in Colorado Springs for 6 months every 4 years. Many of the athletes in Colorado Springs do have other jobs. I am sure they are all watching this closely also. If the Women's Hockey team gets more pay they will all want more pay. I think that is the real pressure USA hockey is under.
              Pass the puck

Comment

If women's sports were better attended, it would go a long way toward helping solve this problem. Women make up about 50% of the population. I see a lot of women at men's sporting events, and then see seats 50% to 75% empty at women's events. If women as a whole would say to their husbands/boyfriends, "No, I won't go to the men's game tonight, but I would love to go to the women's game on Saturday with you", it may help solve part of this problem in the long term. Demand would go a long way to helping this cause. In the short-term, I still think USAH should pony up and help these women defray their costs and additionally provide more help to the younger girls in their development like they do with the boys. USAH suggests they already do this but I'm not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  The women's basketball team draws 5,000 per game. The men draw 15,000 per game. Title IX does not care. Equal support by the institution's resources is required.
                  problem is, USA Hockey isn't a college/university, Title IX doesn't apply

they are kinda shooting themselves in the foot, the only way they will ever become real professionals making real money is by winning, not whining. They hurt their own cause by choking in 2014. Staying home doesn't help, although they probably got more publicity by saying they wouldn't play than if they actually did play and win gold, nobody cares about the Worlds except hard core hockey fans.

Comment

Seems like today everybody's protesting about something. I don't know enough about this issue to have an opinion. Hope they play though and it reminded me of a movie.

Mildred: Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?
                    Johnny: Whadda got?

"The Wild One" 1953
                    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
                      If women's sports were better attended, it would go a long way toward helping solve this problem. Women make up about 50% of the population. I see a lot of women at men's sporting events, and then see seats 50% to 75% empty at women's events. If women as a whole would say to their husbands/boyfriends, "No, I won't go to the men's game tonight, but I would love to go to the women's game on Saturday with you", it may help solve part of this problem in the long term. Demand would go a long way to helping this cause. In the short-term, I still think USAH should pony up and help these women defray their costs and additionally provide more help to the younger girls in their development like they do with the boys. USAH suggests they already do this but I'm not buying it.
                      this is true
                      but your suggestion not so much, men & women attend the women's college game in equal numbers
                      most of those women you see at a men's game don't attend women's games, they are no more interested than their husband is, maybe even less so

Comment

I guess my point is...to all the women that say "I stand behind you one hundred percent", and then don't bother to attend a women's game, don't squabble about women getting the shaft when you don't even support them at their events. In this context, women are their own worst enemy. If you truly believe in equality, then attend their events as if you enjoy their events equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
                          I guess my point is...to all the women that say "I stand behind you one hundred percent", and then don't bother to attend a women's game, don't squabble about women getting the shaft when you don't even support them at their events. In this context, women are their own worst enemy. If you truly believe in equality, then attend their events as if you enjoy their events equally.
                          Wow, what a simpleton's view this is. Enough said.

Comment

Actually, it's a lot more insightful than your weak response.

Comment

USA Hockeys posted some numbers. They seem to be including training food and equipment in their dolar amounts, which claim the ladies are asking in excess of 200k a year i an Olympic yr and 140 in an off yr.

Seems like fuzzy math on USAH part but its definitely insightful. Phone wont let me post link but its first thing on usahockey.com

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by jumbodaddy77 View Post
                                Couldn't disagree more. If the point is that we need to grow girl's/women's hockey, and that MI is a great place to start given it's history, then hosting the World's there makes more not less sense. There was a good crowd at the US/Canada game a few months back. Conversely, it's tough to promote and grow the game if every big event is hosted in MN or MA.

I'm glad the women appear to be holding together. USA Hockey's response is disappointing, but not surprising. Great leadership by Dugan, Knight, and the Lams.
                                Bottom line is Michigan and Michigan State should be embarrassed for not offering D1 Women's Hockey programs! Michigan is one of the Nations Hockey hotbeds! MN 5 D1 programs MI 0 Disgraceful
                                Last edited by AAA Dad; 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X