Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

I've seen Aidan McDonough a handful of times this year and last. I couldn't figure why he hadn't been nailed down by a School yet. Good size, good hands, makes good plays, gets around the ice with no problem. Doesn't have a 'burner gear' that I've seen but is no slouch skating wise. When I saw that he committed to NU today I tried to think of a comp for him. I know Jeff Cox compared him to Ashton-Reese but my comp was John Stevens or Matt Filipe (who came on strong as the season moved along). The difference being I hadn't really seen the 'nasty' from McDonough that Ashton-Reese or Nolan Stevens show. It's possible that Cox has seen this edge from McDonough in venues other than Prep. Aidan will be a very good player for NU.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      Chicago always needs new ELC bodies, but does he want to go there and fight for a spot, and do they want such a one-way player? I don't think he can jump up and play in the top six and you can't put him in the bottom six. See also: Kevin's continued existance (sic) in San Diego rather than Anaheim.
      Rockford is totally stacked; so, your analysis is spot on.

Sikura is going to get his ELC but I doubt if it's going to be with Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
        Doesn't have a 'burner gear' that I've seen but is no slouch skating wise. When I saw that he committed to NU today I tried to think of a comp for him. I know Jeff Cox compared him to Ashton-Reese but my comp was John Stevens or Matt Filipe (who came on strong as the season moved along). The difference being I hadn't really seen the 'nasty' from McDonough that Ashton-Reese or Nolan Stevens show. It's possible that Cox has seen this edge from McDonough in venues other than Prep. Aidan will be a very good player for NU.
        Appreciate your thoughts. Aston-Reese wasn't the greatest of skaters when he first came here either, IMHO that aspect of his game has improved 100 fold over the last 4 years. McDonough is a bit more polished of a skater, at this point, but he does seem to stay in one place a bit long...on the current roster, I would compare his skating to Cockerill's...technically sound but a bit cumbersome. I believe a year in Cedar Rapids is in order. The USHL is becoming more reflective of a skating/skill league and it would do him well to spend some time there...out of school so he can dedicate himself to getting better.

In the end, he has skills...tools...and heart...he ramps up the work ethic and there is tremendous upside for him.
        Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 03-09-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
          Vancouver had an article out that basically had the GM saying Gaudette will come back for 1 more year.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hocke...pping-pro-plan
          Friday night, when I was in line to buy my usual Husky Dog, I struck up a conversation with a gent decked out in *N* hat and sweatshirt asking him if he was an alum...turns out it was Gaudette's grandfather...very, very personable local gent...he told me that Vancouver was there and that they loved ZAR and Johnny...I asked about a return for next year and got a Clintonian response, which kind of tells me that Gaudette wants to leave but that Vancouver is non committal at this point...

I believe Gaudette and Sikura will be back...I'm 50/50 on Nolan. There's a rumor out there that the Devs may try to sign Cockerill, btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
            Friday night, when I was in line to buy my usual Husky Dog, I struck up a conversation with a gent decked out in *N* hat and sweatshirt asking him if he was an alum...turns out it was Gaudette's grandfather...very, very personable local gent...he told me that Vancouver was there and that they loved ZAR and Johnny...I asked about a return for next year and got a Clintonian response, which kind of tells me that Gaudette wants to leave but that Vancouver is non committal at this point...

I believe Gaudette and Sikura will be back...I'm 50/50 on Nolan. There's a rumor out there that the Devs may try to sign Cockerill, btw.
            I've seen two VAN outlets, including the original one I posted, indicating Gaudette will return. And I would think that's best, he's not great on faceoffs and another year of training with Boothby can help. We've seen how Sikura benefited from a third year.

Very interesting about the Devils and Cockerill. I'm a Devils fan so that would be a welcome sight, especially because they need RD, but he's another one I think can use the extra year. He's great offensively but is not a pro-level skater. Especially with his brother set to enroll at BU next year, I imagine playing against him would be high on his list of things to do.
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              I'm a Devils fan...
              My sympathy... ...have you seen Eric Weinrich and Tommy Fitzgerald lurking about near the Varsity Club?

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                he told me that Vancouver was there and that they loved ZAR and Johnny
                I sat next to a Toronto scout on Friday night who very clearly was scouting NU's top line. He barely watched the game when those three weren't out there, but took copious notes on his line sheet and notepad while they were.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  I sat next to a Toronto scout on Friday night who very clearly was scouting NU's top line. He barely watched the game when those three weren't out there, but took copious notes on his line sheet and notepad while they were.
                  My old Summer beer league buddy*, Billy Guerin has been lurking about as well. Poile, himself, was at our Saturday night Merrimack game.

*(not really...back when he was with the Bruins I saw him in the Walpole rink from time to time one Summer)

Is anyone surprised...those three have been three of the hottest players in all of D1 since December 2015...
                  Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 03-09-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                    Appreciate your thoughts. Aston-Reese wasn't the greatest of skaters when he first came here either, IMHO that aspect of his game has improved 100 fold over the last 4 years. McDonough is a bit more polished of a skater, at this point, but he does seem to stay in one place a bit long...on the current roster, I would compare his skating to Cockerill's...technically sound but a bit cumbersome. I believe a year in Cedar Rapids is in order. The USHL is becoming more reflective of a skating/skill league and it would do him well to spend some time there...out of school so he can dedicate himself to getting better.

In the end, he has skills...tools...and heart...he ramps up the work ethic and there is tremendous upside for him.
                    I expect that before he spends a year in Cedar Rapids, he will do his senior year at Thayer. Expect him in the fall of '19

Comment

Cox's write-up did say he would spend a year in Cedar Rapids but also said to expect McDonough in the fall of '18. The NU Hockey Blog also projects him to '18. That would make him a 19 year old Freshman. Having seen McDonough play, Based just on hockey alone, I can't see why he'd need a year at Thayer AND a year in the USHL before coming to NU.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                        Cox's write-up did say he would spend a year in Cedar Rapids but also said to expect McDonough in the fall of '18. The NU Hockey Blog also projects him to '18. That would make him a 19 year old Freshman. Having seen McDonough play, Based just on hockey alone, I can't see why he'd need a year at Thayer AND a year in the USHL before coming to NU.
                        As the one who makes that projection graphic, when HHound says something I generally change it. He's right something on the order of 99.99% of the time.

Having said that, I'm interested to see how it plays out. I'm sure if he's capable of getting here in 18 and he and the team are both on board with that plan, they'll find a way to make it happen. I personally agree that the year in the USHL is beneficial and would rather he had one.
                        Last edited by TheRevengeance; 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                          As the one who makes that projection graphic, when HHound says something I generally change it. He's right something on the order of 99.99% of the time.

Having said that, I'm interested to see how it plays out. I'm sure if he's capable of getting here in 18 and he and the team are both on board with that plan, they'll find a way to make it happen. I personally agree that the year in the USHL is beneficial and would rather he had one.
                          99.9% chance he skips senior year at Thayer and plays in CR.
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                            That was what I was thinking, but I don't follow the prep scene like you do so I wasn't sure how common it was for players to leave without playing four full years. Thanks.
                            Last edited by TheRevengeance; 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                              He can play 2 years at CR. When will he turn 19? I just don't want to make the same mistake that they made with Griffen. Bring him in last year is looking like a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                                That was what I was thinking, but I don't follow the prep scene like you do so I wasn't sure how common it was for players to leave without playing four full years. Thanks.
                                It's actually quite common. Look no further than #17, who passed up his senior year at Malden Catholic to go to the USHL. (Still graduated with his MC class tho.)
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X