X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I saw The Princess Bride last night at the "special event" screening in the theater. The theater was mostly full, just the first few rows empty. That was fun, hearing others laugh at different moments where others were quiet, and so on.

The only part that wasn't fun was the mid-50s woman a couple/few seats to the right in my row who thought that she had to quote certain lines of the movie so the entire theater could hear her version of it. And she had to repeat some lines a few times because she jumped the gun.
    I find that a well-timed "shut up!" will, you know, shut these people up.

Main culprits are cat ladies at dramas and young dumb full of cum fratboys at action movies. With the latter just flag down an usher because if you stick your neck out their Durr Must Defend Manhood Durrflex will cause them and their repressed homoerotic buddies to have a conniption fit on you.

Basically, it's just like politics.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Def Comedy Jam 25:

For the first 2/3s, it's pretty much a stale tribute, with some jokes. Then DJ Hughley and Dave Chappelle come out and bust it wide open. I was in tears I was laughing so hard for that last 1/3 of the show. It was as if they decided: let's show everyone what the TRUE DCJ is like.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

mookie gonna go see geostorm today. kinda movie that is right up mookie's alley
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          mookie gonna go see geostorm today. kinda movie that is right up mookie's alley
          Shouldnta
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Shouldnta
            It looked like a disaster movie script they had lying around from 15 years ago and finally got around to making.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The best part of The Snowman is the end credits (or so I've heard. Even for free I'm not wasting my time on that garbage)

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                The best part of The Snowman is the end credits (or so I've heard. Even for free I'm not wasting my time on that garbage)
                The kids movie? Every Christmas season I play this
                https://youtu.be/ZE9KpobX9J8
                for the grandkids.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Patriots Day:

I was wary going into this movie, fearing the over-dramatization of the events. However, it was done fairly well and in a respectful manner. I will say that the "end credits" part, where actual victims/officers/officials gave their 2 cents......got a little dusty up in here.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    The kids movie? Every Christmas season I play this
                    https://youtu.be/ZE9KpobX9J8
                    for the grandkids.
                    The POS that was released this weekend and had a lower box office than It in it's seventh week.

Comment

Please pardon this lame and overly emotional rant, but as a fan of this series I need to voice my frustrations. There will be some spoilers but trust me I am saving you:

Alien: Covenant. I am an unabashed fan of he Alien films...even the really awful ones. I grew up watching Alien and Aliens every time they were on TV. I forgive almost every trespass...even the plot hole laden Prometheus. (I wont lie never saw the second AvP because I didnt see the point) I wanted this movie made to answer the questions, I was even prepared to like it after it tanked the bed in theaters...

And then I saw it. This is by far one of the worst films I have seen in some time. (I didnt hate it as much as he Ghostbusters reboot but man it was close!) This movie should have never been made. This is Episode: 1 level stupid and the parallels are actually quite striking. In Ridley Scott's narcissistic need to explain every detail and make everything line up and cyclical he made a film that literally crapped all over everything that was great about the original Alien. (warning again...spoilers coming) First of all, the entire purpose of Prometheus is now done. We were supposed to learn about the Engineer, how he came to be flying a ship full of alien eggs that lead to the events in Alien. We meet the Engineer in Prometheus, David and Dr. Shaw fly to his home world to learn why he did what he did and this was supposed to be the pay off. Nope. Instead we find out David destroyed them all with the Xenomorph pathogen. (dont even get me started on the stupidity of that crap. Even the Medichlorians are rolling their eyes) If they are all dead, how did one crash land on LB426 after implantation? Nice job Ridley...

Ah but it gets better! You see in Scott's need to out Lucas Lucas he then has to find a reason for David to still exist. Since David is evil we need to know just how evil he is. Not only did he destroy the very creators he was designed to find and communicate with but he spends ten years cultivating the Xenomorph pathogen (seriously...why Ridley) and it is the "synthetic" who turns them into the killing machines that they become. That is right just like Darth Vader created C3PO David created the Alien that kills off the crew in Alien. It also kills off the Engineer, who is already dead thanks to David so somewhere Doc Brown is screaming about Time Paradoxes!

So thanks to Ridley now not only are the Aliens not some super race of beings that evolved over centuries to become the perfect killing machines (they are test tube babies hooray!!) but the very mystery the prequels were supposed to answer (who is The Engineer, where did he come from and how did the eggs come to be aboard his ship) dont even matter anymore. The entire story of Alien is a worthless mess now. These prequels ruined the original movies just like Lucas did.

The movie gets an F. Negative 4 stars. Not worth the money I paid and I watched it for free on a flight. Ridley Scott should be ashamed he didnt even try. He took a few bits from other films to try and make for some nostalgia (hey look the strong woman blew the alien out the air lock!! Oh they are running in the ship all scared!!) but even that couldnt save this craptastic piece of garbage. When you have Michael Fassbender playing 2 parts (cause he cant suck enough in just 1!) you know you are in for trouble.

Dont see it, dont read about, ignore it like it is Godfather 3.

I feel better now
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh I forgot one thing...the cgi was horrid. Even in the 1990s this cgi would have been laughable.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Wheelman:

A driver for robberies is double-crossed, and uses his wily ways to find out who did it.

Basic popcorn action movie, worth a watch. Some decent twists and mystery to it. You better suspend some belief of reality though, although it IS the standards (lack of cops, obvious car is obvious, etc).

Comment

I cannot describe the loathing that I have for Blade Runner: 2049, but I'll do my best. Went to see it Monday night with the husband. Both of us are fans of the non-narrated version of Blade Runner and were varying degrees of wary and excited for the new movie. Rotten Tomatoes score was positive, which while not a deciding factor about whether or not to see a movie can be encouraging (Out Cold, which I love, has only 8%). What we watched was a loud, $hitty homage to the original with gaping plot holes, despicable characters, copycat visuals, and annoying dialogue. It was not groundbreaking visually (I love the visuals of the original). The plot twist was obvious and the holes, including Jared Leto's character's entire purpose, were gaping and negated some of the original story. Not to mention, I have to imagine the Bechdel test score would be negative the violence and nudity of women are both gratuitous and uncomfortable in addition to the fact that their only purpose is to forward the main male characters' dialogue, arousal, and/or purpose. Watching a woman choked to death for approximately 5 whole minutes (shot from multiple angles so as not to miss a second of excruciating torture), Schumacher-Batman level of gratuitous statues featuring nude women, and a bizarre 3-some that was squirm level awful all work to make this piece of excrement even more unenjoyable. I don't understand the love for the revival of Harrison Ford's corpse to stick him in movies/sequels to his original work, nor anyone's infatuation with Ryan Gosling's acting. Jared Leto's character is more obnoxious than his portrayal of the Joker (which was a high bar).

And, it was almost 3 hours long.

Comment

Countdown to a bunch of people telling you it is "above your head" and "you just dont get it" and "something something Phillip K. Dick" in 3...2...1...
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X