X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    That is a well thought out post, but I'd go further and say the vast majority of politicians are like this, no matter the party. This current administration has simply taken it to the next level and beyond.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you Brent, because as contrary voices go on this forum, you don't come across like most of the others, but this faithful service you pay to the notion of equivalency is really naïve. (I think the acronym you asked about starts out as Both Sides Are Bad So... not sure of the rest)

On the one hand I might agree that both sides ARE bad because most of our elected politicians, and especially most of them at the state and federal levels, are pond scum at best and some are actually pure evil. But the republicans today have taken it to levels unseen in our nations history. There are clearly some democrats who still will put nation ahead of party, and even if it is an ends justifying the means proposition, well the ends are still OK. I'm reminded of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon says wrong is wrong and there are no gradations of wrong. Stewart Bloom (comic book store owner) corrects him and says "its a little wrong to say a tomato is a vegetable, its VERY wrong to say it's a suspension bridge."

You also referred to the "current administration" when what I am talking about is not the executive branch, but our legislative one. And as I said, in 2018 it is undeniably clear which party is causing the most trouble and the most harm. I don't say this because I want it to be true, it IS true. And who knows, if we vote 50 or 75 more democrats into office and add a democratic president and another couple dozen more democratic legislators to the mix in 2020 maybe they will turn out to be just as corrupt and un-American as the current crop of republicans. I just know that RIGHT HERE and RIGHT NOW, there is no equivalency between the parties.

Democrats are saying and pushing policies and ideas that might help the middle class, the working class, or the poor. They are pushing ideas and policies that might make mass gun violence less likely. They are pushing policies and ideas that might slow climate change and buy us a few more years to figure out how to grow an economy, keep making people rich, but not destroy the environment in the process. And they are pushing ideas and policies that don't deny the humanity of any individual person. The republicans are pushing ideas of division, fear, hate and chaos. They are trotting out the same tax and economic policies that have at various times in the last 100 years brought the economy to crashing halts. And in the most extreme example, they are behaving in treasonous fashion by allowing a president to sully and tarnish whatever good name and reputation we had left in the world at the same time he is making this country weaker, he is harming the economy and he is beholden to a corrupt foreign entity that at best doesn't want America to prosper and be strong, and at worst means harm to come our way.

The equivalency you and other so often want to trot out there is so completely and utterly false. You and the rest of the people who believe in it in even the slightest manner need to wake up and realize what is going on.
    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 04-06-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

On the one hand I might agree that both sides ARE bad because most of our elected politicians, and especially most of them at the state and federal levels, are pond scum at best and some are actually pure evil. But the republicans today have taken it to levels unseen in our nations history. There are clearly some democrats who still will put nation ahead of party, and even if it is an ends justifying the means proposition, well the ends are still OK. I'm reminded of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon says wrong is wrong and there are no gradations of wrong. Stewart Bloom (comic book store owner) corrects him and says "its a little wrong to say a tomato is a vegetable, its VERY wrong to say it's a suspension bridge."
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All of this. That is what I was saying.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

On the one hand I might agree that both sides ARE bad because most of our elected politicians, and especially most of them at the state and federal levels, are pond scum at best and some are actually pure evil. But the republicans today have taken it to levels unseen in our nations history.
        I know I'm opening a door to a room I'm not very familiar with here, but it might not be accurate to say politicians on either side are taking it to levels unseen in our nation's history. I doubt we've ever had a seventh grader in the white house before, but as a general matter there is probably some pretty stiff competition out there. A visit to the Lincoln library and museum is pretty eye-opening as to how vicious and outrageous political ads and tricks were at that time, to say nothing about the government abuse that took place immediately after that war. For a long time (and still), the commerce in this country was an act of acquisition--of timber, minerals, riverways, harbors, croplands, and railways. It was a poorly controlled brawl, and combatants could behave very badly without many people knowing which dirty tricks were being used and where, and if they knew, being able to do anything about it.

Corruption still happens, of course, but now it is more difficult for power players to do what they do without everybody knowing about it. The lights are on, so to speak. But what appears different, and is very interesting, is that the fight is over information itself now, not information about something, like steel, land for building railroads, or forests. So the lights are on but the nasties are now fighting over how to create illusions with it. They always did, now it is THE game.

That's probably a lot of crapola, and I expect to be called on it, but hey, it's early on a Saturday and the coffee hasn't cleared the cobwebs yet.

Comment

Not like these pusses we have now challenge anyone to a dual... they are more than happy to wink wink and get their taxes lowered and get jobs with each other on K street
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Not like these pusses we have now challenge anyone to a dual... they are more than happy to wink wink and get their taxes lowered and get jobs with each other on K street
            There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Weird how these Nazis keep turning out to be Republicans, huh?
              Ricky Vaughn? He must have fallen on bad times after he left the Indians
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

In March, The Rachel Maddow Show finished as the highest-rated show in cable news, with an average total audience of 3.058 million viewers--the show's best-ever performance in the 9 p.m. ET hour. FNC's Hannity was second, with 3.000 million viewers. Maddow also won among viewers 25-54, the demographic most valued by advertisers, finishing March with an average audience of 671,000 compared to Hannity's 616,000. CNN finished a distant third in the hour, with 382,000 viewers 25-54.

MSNBC has been experiencing a dramatic rise in ratings, finishing the first quarter of 2018 as the only cable news network to grow compared to Q1 2017: MSNBC ratings were up 30%, while both Fox News and CNN experienced declines.

In March, MSNBC's programming in prime time, daytime and total day all broke records for the network. The network's prime-time lineup averaged 2.398 million total viewers, finishing as the No. 2 network across all of cable TV. While Fox News continued its run as the top-rated network in cable news, MSNBC's prime lineup was up 8% from 2017, while both Fox (down 18 percent) and CNN (down 16 percent) were off year-over-year.

The March ratings results suggest Fox News' unrivaled status as the dominant force in cable news may be facing one of the strongest challenges in years.
                Wow. Maybe people are sick of the lying finally. I watched a few minutes of Sean last night. It was on in a public place so not like I could change the channel. He was having a fit about Jimmy Kimmel.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoy.../#28d9d2185eea
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Wow. Maybe people are sick of the lying finally. I watched a few minutes of Sean last night. It was on in a public place so not like I could change the channel. He was having a fit about Jimmy Kimmel.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoy.../#28d9d2185eea
                  Its all tied to the party of the president. Unless its JFK, the next D in the white house will help Fox. And Fox's long term strength will hold for 10 years until the Boomers fade.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    I know I'm opening a door to a room I'm not very familiar with here, but it might not be accurate to say politicians on either side are taking it to levels unseen in our nation's history. I doubt we've ever had a seventh grader in the white house before, but as a general matter there is probably some pretty stiff competition out there. A visit to the Lincoln library and museum is pretty eye-opening as to how vicious and outrageous political ads and tricks were at that time, to say nothing about the government abuse that took place immediately after that war. For a long time (and still), the commerce in this country was an act of acquisition--of timber, minerals, riverways, harbors, croplands, and railways. It was a poorly controlled brawl, and combatants could behave very badly without many people knowing which dirty tricks were being used and where, and if they knew, being able to do anything about it.

Corruption still happens, of course, but now it is more difficult for power players to do what they do without everybody knowing about it. The lights are on, so to speak. But what appears different, and is very interesting, is that the fight is over information itself now, not information about something, like steel, land for building railroads, or forests. So the lights are on but the nasties are now fighting over how to create illusions with it. They always did, now it is THE game.

That's probably a lot of crapola, and I expect to be called on it, but hey, it's early on a Saturday and the coffee hasn't cleared the cobwebs yet.
                    There is some truth to this yes, but keep in mind the context of the times. Even educated, open minded people had some ideas of relations between people of different backgrounds that would make us -- at the very least -- turn our heads today. Plenty of abolitionists knew slavery was evil and did not deny the humanity of African-Americans, but did not have the same level of enlightenment we enjoy today. Educated minds in 2018 all know "race" is a social construct, in 1860 not as much. So as ugly as it certainly was in the middle of the 19th century, there are far fewer reasons for it to be as ugly today.

On a side note, I had very similar reactions to yours when I first went to the current Lincoln museum in Springfield. It was during the 2008 campaign and my companion and I noted how some of the advertising directed at Lincoln did seem to echo some of the stuff directed at Obama by the most unsavory in our society.

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Part of the 51st floor on Trump Tower is on fire. Probably overheated the shredders.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Part of the 51st floor on Trump Tower is on fire. Probably overheated the shredders.
                        Cripes!! Get the narrative right!!!

@dick_nixon: Some fool is going to start "Reichstag fire" rumors about the Trump Tower thing.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          One person is dead, four firefighters injured
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            cripes!! Get the narrative right!!!

@dick_nixon: Some fool is going to start "reichstag fire" rumors about the trump tower thing.
                            lol.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dumpies at play.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Lots of younger looking people in that video. You still think we just need all the old white guys to die off? And keep in mind, NE Ohio is thought to be a lot more open minded than the rest of the state.

Remember, we are replacing the guy currently in the governor's office (one of the few republicans who will occasionally stand up to trump's racism) with someone who is openly and totally supportive of him. Like much of America, Ohio is a lost cause and whichever of the two republicans running in the republican primary will be the next governor.

This brand of racism persists because, while maybe only 35% of America supports trump and these kind of racist ideals, I'm willing to bet it is a majority of white America.

That video actually makes me feel guilty to be a white man.

Comment

Working...
                                X