This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2017-2018, reds last stand part 2

Swayman will be the difference maker this weekend...he continues to be the key gog and every week he gains more confidence as well as the team believes in him. Solid Goaltending, if you have it...you can beat any team on any given night.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Going in the Stillwater across from the rink will be a hard landing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Good, more incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I can understand how it looks that way from the outside - but no, getting JVR was a coup for UNH and his arrival at UNH only helped their ability to recruit. Then things started to go wrong. I touched on UNH's recruiting downfall in the UNH thread just a couple of days ago...

So, in summary, UNH blew its academic oversight responsibilities on the classes recruits were taking. The admissions office had added stricter requirements on credits in foreign languages. UNH coaches either ignored those requirements, thought they didn't apply to them or never cared to ask about the university's admissions process. White and Reid each had two foreign language credits, they needed three and were out (UNH also lost Will O'Neill around the same time to academics - though I'm not sure what the exact issue was, may have been the same language credit concern since O'Neill was a good student at UM). When White was out, Bourque bolted to MJ. Then Borek's email fiasco occurred and UNH withdrew themselves from the running (as part of self-punishment) for every recruit who received an inadvertent email. Who knows who that cost them. The bottom line was that four out of five recruiting classes were gutted and UNH never recovered from the losses that were the result. Neither Borek, nor Souza currently, have been able to sell a re-birth or turnaround and so UNH simply sinks deeper into the muck...

Blowing it on Laleggia, Vecchione killed any progress. DeSmith's dismissal (though later found not-guilty, with complaint retracted), landed UNH in their current goaltending mess as they again had to rush inferior replacements...

UNH has killed themselves. Period.
        What is the email fiasco? I missed this. I'll try to look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          They broke NCAA rules by sending too many emails to possible recruits
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            Borek sent a mass recruiting email through their recruiting software and included a large group of recruits who were too young to be receiving emails from colleges. Having used similar software I can see how easy it would be to check the wrong box and include these recruits by accident. Which was their claim.

Either way, UNH self-reported and efforted to avoid larger punishment by being pro-active and agreeing not to recruit any of the players who received the email. Undoubtedly, they had to back away from a number of kids far more talented than the players they eventually brought in to those classes.

After having just blown two years worth recruiting by failing to monitor their prospects' core credits and transcripts, it was a death sentence. They've been spiraling down slowly ever since...

They've only made things worse along the way - I.e. Deferring and losing a pair of players who'd go on to combine for 308 career NCAA points...
            Last edited by Dan; 01-29-2018, 04:28 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Going in the Stillwater across from the rink will be a hard landing.
              We used to play "pond" hockey down there as a kid. If the river froze high, skating among the trees was interesting. And the booms when the ice would crack could put a wee bit of fear into you!
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                We used to play "pond" hockey down there as a kid. If the river froze high, skating among the trees was interesting. And the booms when the ice would crack could put a wee bit of fear into you!
                We had some dmen who were just like those trees.

Comment

Borek sent a mass recruiting email through their recruiting software and included a large group of recruits who were too young to be receiving emails from colleges. Having used similar software I can see how easy it would be to check the wrong box and include these recruits by accident. Which was their claim.

Either way, UNH self-reported and efforted to avoid larger punishment by being pro-active and agreeing not to recruit any of the players who received the email. Undoubtedly, they had to back away from a number of kids far more talented than the players they eventually brought in to those classes.

After having just blown two years worth recruiting by failing to monitor their prospects' core credits and transcripts, it was a death sentence. They've yet to recover...
                  Oh ok, I vaguely remember. It didn't seem like a big punishment so probably most of us didn't give it much mindshare. That was 8 years ago. I would assume there was time for a contingency plan to take effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    Oh ok, I vaguely remember. It didn't seem like a big punishment so probably most of us didn't give it much mindshare. That was 8 years ago. I would assume there was time for a contingency plan to take effect.
                    You would have thought so - but once performance slipped so did recruiting. Borek has shown he can recruit to a front runner (LSSU, UNH) but when wins are less plentiful he's a lot less consistent. He still grabbed some good players, but not enough.

I edited my post before you quoted me - but since then they deffered and lost Joey Laleggia (D - 132 career points) and Mike Vecchione (176 career points). They also buried a FR Warren Foegele on the fourth line to give starting minutes and PP time to the SRs they had picked up off the post-email scrap heap. Foegele left and then scored 111 points in 1.5 years of MJ. They've lost a couple of recruits for the same transcript issues that hit them the first time. It's been a mess since 2009 and Borek and Umile have brought it entirely on themselves. And now UNH fans are where we are - very jealous of your 2018 class...

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your thread...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

You would have thought so - but once performance slipped so did recruiting. Borek has shown he can recruit to a front runner (LSSU, UNH) but when wins are less plentiful he's a lot less consistent. He still grabbed some good players, but not enough.

I edited my post before you quoted me - but since then they deffered and lost Joey Laleggia (D - 132 career points) and Mike Vecchione (176 career points). They also buried a FR Warren Foegele on the fourth line to give starting minutes and PP time to the SRs they had picked up off the post-email scrap heap. Foegele left and then scored 111 points in 1.5 years of MJ. They've lost a couple of recruits for the same transcript issues that hit them the first time. It's been a mess since 2009 and Borek and Umile have brought it entirely on themselves. And now UNH fans are where we are - very jealous of your 2018 class...

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your thread...
                      Do you mean players coming in next season when you say 2018 class?

In any case I think UNH will bounce back fine after coaching situation settles in.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        We had some dmen who were just like those trees.

Slow solid guys? 😁

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                          Slow solid guys? 😁
                          No Ek jokes now.

Comment

No Ek jokes now.
                            Big **** was a big part of the 99 team

Comment

Do you mean players coming in next season when you say 2018 class?

In any case I think UNH will bounce back fine after coaching situation settles in.
                              Yes, next fall. I don't know a lot about the depth of next year's Maine class, but as I lament the lack of goal scoring in UNH's future classes, I can't help but notice Dawe and Schmidt-Svejstrup having great seasons in the USHL. Add that to a number of nice pieces in your last two classes and I think Maine is passing UNH. UNH has a nice sophomore class, but this year's freshmen class is weak (the two best pieces are flight-risk d-men) and the next couple years only bring one high-end HE projected talent.

I'm not sure Gendron is your guy - I'd probably land in the move on to the next guy camp. I think the same may be true with Souza. It will probably need to be the next guy to get UNH back on track...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Yes, next fall. I don't know a lot about the depth of next year's Maine class, but as I lament the lack of goal scoring in UNH's future classes, I can't help but notice Dawe and Schmidt-Svejstrup having great seasons in the USHL. Add that to a number of nice pieces in your last two classes and I think Maine is passing UNH. UNH has a nice sophomore class, but this year's freshmen class is weak (the two best pieces are flight-risk d-men) and the next couple years only bring one high-end HE projected talent.

I'm not sure Gendron is your guy - I'd probably land in the move on to the next guy camp. I think the same may be true with Souza. It will probably need to be the next guy to get UNH back on track...
                                If next year's class is similar to this year's freshmen, this will be three great classes in a row. Which hasnt happened at Maine in a very long time. I have liked Red at times and sometimes not. But right now he has it going. So I am willing to wait and see. I think he'll get his respect in a season or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X