X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror 8 - Winter is Coming

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Be prepared!?!?!? Those were the days, my friends. We thought they'd never end..

https://www.cdc.gov/cdcgrandrounds/a...anuary2018.htm
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Burt's back!

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Antifa proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeQxKuGIq74

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Burt's back!

I remember that experience. Is it any wonder our generation was prone to supporting foreign policy mistakes based on fear of communism?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            I remember that experience. Is it any wonder our generation was prone to supporting foreign policy mistakes based on fear of communism?
            Which may well have been the point. c.f., war on drugs, GWOT.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We need to see even more of this:

ISLAMABAD – More than 1,800 Pakistani Muslim clerics have issued an Islamic directive, or fatwa, forbidding suicide bombings, in a book unveiled by the government on Tuesday.....

Seeking to curb “terrorism” that has resulted in tens of thousands of casualties since the early 2000s, the clerics declared suicide bombings to be forbidden, or “haraam”.

“This fatwa provides a strong base for the stability of a moderate Islamic society,” Pakistan President Mamnoon Hussain wrote in the book, prepared by the state-run International Islamic University and released at an official ceremony.

“We can seek guidance from this fatwa for building a national narrative in order to curb extremism, in keeping with the golden principles of Islam.”....

The fatwa was ratified by a number of prominent clerics who are outspoken critics of liberalism and the West, and are seen as controversial for preaching sectarianism or supporting the Afghan Taliban.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

It wasn't the Russians, it was the Brit!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...s-afghanistan/
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The war may be over. Unification soon coming. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1FD33I

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    The war may be over. Unification soon coming. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1FD33I
                    I'll sell you the Tappan Zee Bridge if this comes out if favor of SK.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I'll sell you the Tappan Zee Bridge if this comes out if favor of SK.
                      Selling me a bunch of rubble, seeing how it's being torn down?

Oh, I'm sure there will be something that happens. However, it's a step in the right direction that they're going to start talking. Hopefully Kim doesn't get too greedy and insist the south turn into a communist ****hole.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Oh, I'm sure there will be something that happens. However, it's a step in the right direction that they're going to start talking. Hopefully Kim doesn't get too greedy and insist the south turn into a communist ****hole.
                        Well, if you can't trust Kim Jong Un...
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

You really think Kim Fatty III is just going to give up his power, or let the people have full freedom of travel and information? The travel restrictions and the loyalty of the military are the only things left preventing an internal revolt. Many North Koreans now know the truth, and while they are required to publicly pay lip service to Dear Leader, the reality is that Fat Boy is not terribly popular there.

Also, North Korea hasn't had a true centrally-planned economy since the 90s famine. They have slowly become authoritarian capitalists who've allowed a few party loyalists to become rich "czars" operating state-owned corporations, similar to China or Russia, and another 5-10% to become middle class merchants and such. There is also a substantial black market for western goods, media, and drugs to ease the rampant hunger caused by the sanctions, plus having little arable land (and over-cultivating what they do have), and none of the modern technology necessary to efficiently and competitively mine their mineral resources.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            You really think Kim Fatty III is just going to give up his power, or let the people have full freedom of travel and information? The travel restrictions and the loyalty of the military are the only things left preventing an internal revolt. Many North Koreans now know the truth, and while they are required to publicly pay lip service to Dear Leader, the reality is that Fat Boy is not terribly popular there.

Also, North Korea hasn't had a true centrally-planned economy since the 90s famine. They have slowly become authoritarian capitalists who've allowed a few party loyalists to become rich "czars" operating state-owned corporations, similar to China or Russia, and another 5-10% to become middle class merchants and such. There is also a substantial black market for western goods, media, and drugs to ease the rampant hunger caused by the sanctions, plus having little arable land (and over-cultivating what they do have), and none of the modern technology necessary to efficiently and competitively mine their mineral resources.
                            Amazing what happens when people become enlightened, eh? Pretty much what led to the founding of this country. And you know what? I don't think Kim's a dumb guy. Even with inheritance, you don't run a country by being dumb. He won't try to demand the south becomes entirely like the north, because he knows that'll just result in a click on the other side. He might ask for quite a bit, find out it's not possible, but I'm just glad at this point that they're putting down the swords for a second to pick up the phone. That demands at least some respect.

Plus, the economic model you mentioned has zero to do with capitalism. More like you just re-defined the word to fit some ideologue.

Comment

Amazing what happens when people become enlightened, eh? Pretty much what led to the founding of this country. And you know what? I don't think Kim's a dumb guy. Even with inheritance, you don't run a country by being dumb. He won't try to demand the south becomes entirely like the north, because he knows that'll just result in a click on the other side. He might ask for quite a bit, find out it's not possible, but I'm just glad at this point that they're putting down the swords for a second to pick up the phone. That demands at least some respect.

Plus, the economic model you mentioned has zero to do with capitalism. More like you just re-defined the word to fit some ideologue.
                              It's not true capitalism, but it's not communism either. Putinism on steroids, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                It's not true capitalism, but it's not communism either. Putinism on steroids, perhaps.
                                Not sure anyone has true capitalism anymore. Probably the closest thing is Liechtenstein, maybe Hong Kong (although haven't followed closely since the British skipped town). US certainly doesn't, based on the mega-corporate lobby.

Comment

Working...
                                X