Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
    That is an obscene amount of talent. Is that a record number of D-1 committed players for one high school team?
    During the Blake game yesterday the announcers also mentioned how many D1 commits they have, so I took a look. Per the Girls Hockey Hub, they have seven, which is impressive especially for a small Class A team:

Olivia Bizal - Minnesota-Duluth
    Lucy Burton - Yale
    Addie Burton - Minnesota
    Sara McClanahan - Dartmouth
    Grace Vojta - Yale
    Madeline Wethington - Minnesota
    Kyra Willoughby - Harvard
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      ... This is the only option to view the quarterfinals even if you are in their television viewing area because they don't televise the quarterfinals for either class ...
      since they went to seeding the quarter finals just aren't as interesting as they used to be, the top seeded teams rarely lose. no fun watching a game when the outcome isn't in doubt

Comment

During the Blake game yesterday the announcers also mentioned how many D1 commits they have, so I took a look. Per the Girls Hockey Hub, they have seven, which is impressive especially for a small Class A team:

Olivia Bizal - Minnesota-Duluth
        Lucy Burton - Yale
        Addie Burton - Minnesota
        Sara McClanahan - Dartmouth
        Grace Vojta - Yale
        Madeline Wethington - Minnesota
        Kyra Willoughby - Harvard
        How can anyone say that this is impressive when a small Class A team has so many D1 commits? Did all of these girls play youth hockey in Minneapolis? If this was a public school where the players must live within the same school district that would be impressive. This is no different than Shattuck, Benilde or the New York Yankees. They should walk through this tournament

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
          How can anyone say that this is impressive when a small Class A team has so many D1 commits? Did all of these girls play youth hockey in Minneapolis? If this was a public school where the players must live within the same school district that would be impressive. This is no different than Shattuck, Benilde or the New York Yankees. They should walk through this tournament
          Barring some major upset this weekend, Blake, for all practical purposes, won the class A state championship last Thursday by beating Breck in the section 5A final.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

2 of their top 3 scorers are not committed yet.

Here is what I believe is true regarding where they played youth (I think):
            2 from Mpls
            2 from Hopkins
            5 from Edina
            4 from Wayzata
            3 from Orono
            1 from Duluth
            1 from Tonka

I asked someone the other day when these kids started at Blake and all but 3 started in middle school or earlier.

Hope that they can move up to AA next year.

Comment

Olivia Bizal - Minnesota-Duluth HOPKINS
              Lucy Burton - Yale ORONO
              Addie Burton - Minnesota ORONO
              Sara McClanahan - Dartmouth WAYZATA or ORONO?
              Grace Vojta - Yale EDINA
              Madeline Wethington - Minnesota EDINA
              Kyra Willoughby - Harvard MINNETONKA

Comment

... If this was a public school where the players must live within the same school district that would be impressive...
                that hasn't been true for about 25 years now, many of the best teams have transfers from other schools in their district, form outside their district, and even from outside the state. For example, a school named after a fruit tree won their only championship with three kids who transferred in, one eventually played for the Gophers, another for the Fighting Sues, there are plenty of other examples

Comment

If you give a for example it would be helpful if it was an example that could somehow possibly be recognized thereby confirming for the reader your point.

Whatever are you talking about?
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

AA Quarterfinals
                    #2 Blaine 7, Roseau 1
                    #3 Hill-Murray 4, Eastview 1

#1 Edina 4, Farmington 1
                    #4 Eden Prairie 6, #5 Forest Lake 4

Most impressive player: Eden Prairie's Naomi Rogge (Minnesota-Duluth recruit) with 3 goals and 2 assists

Comment

AA Quarterfinals
                      #2 Blaine 7, Roseau 1
                      #3 Hill-Murray 4, Eastview 1

#1 Edina 4, Farmington 1
                      #4 Eden Prairie 6, #5 Forest Lake 4

Most impressive player: Eden Prairie's Naomi Rogge (Minnesota-Duluth recruit) with 3 goals and 2 assists
                      It was an interesting strategy by Forest Lake to just watch her skate around with the puck at will. Some very bad turnovers by Forest Lake were helpful as well.

I was impressed with the Farmington goalie. She made a lot of terrific saves. Farmington hung in there for two periods but Edina's depth wore them down in the third period.

Also here is an article that Gopher fans will want to read about Emily Brown.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/johnsjournal.asp
                      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        Also here is an article that Gopher fans will want to read about Emily Brown.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/johnsjournal.asp
                        After seeing her play yesterday and then reading this article, Miss Brown definitely has my vote for this year's Ms. Hockey award (sure wish I had a vote).

Comment

After seeing her play yesterday and then reading this article, Miss Brown definitely has my vote for this year's Ms. Hockey award (sure wish I had a vote).
                          She is a worthy candidate from an all around standpoint, no question. Still think it's going to be Zumwinkle though.

If folks haven't had the opportunity to listen to the "talking Preps winter podcast: Episode 8, here's a link. it talks about the players and the process of picking the All Metro team.

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...2?referrer_id=

Comment

Wethington appears to have a little edge to her game. I like that. And her slapshot, too.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM. Reason: Nice goal
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                              Wethington appears to have a little edge to her game. I like that. And her slapshot, too.
                              Slapshots don't mean anything at the next level.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                                If you give a for example it would be helpful if it was an example that could somehow possibly be recognized thereby confirming for the reader your point.

Whatever are you talking about?
                                should I :
                                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?

many people say the private schools "recruit" because they take kids from a wide area rather than a specific area within a jurisdiction
                                my point is that the so called local public schools are not comprised of 100% kids within their high school borders
                                I didn't give the specific name of the school or year because I am going by memory ( I live in the district BTW) and Googling may not be able to settle any argument since it was about 25 years ago, it was the boys team actually, although the same school won their only girls championship with at least two girls that transferred into the district that did not live there.
                                This is quite common. Quite frankly I am surprised you are even questioning it.

Comment

Working...
                                X