X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.31: "The Caravan is Coming.""The Caravan is Coming."

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not even talking about the raid. I was addressing issues relating to the public disclosure of a client's name, I think in open court, and whether that should be protected by attorney/client privilege.
    Again, Hannity was not a client of attorney Cohen- as he admits.

Comment

I'm not even talking about the raid. I was addressing issues relating to the public disclosure of a client's name, I think in open court, and whether that should be protected by attorney/client privilege.
      Not really sure why you and Sicatoka are flipping out over Hannity. If the steps were illegal, I'm sure a ton of bricks will be landing on those responsible.

Besides Hannity has been guilty of this kind of behavior himself for decades.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Hannity has clearly stated that Cohen was not hired as a lawyer. So the idea of client privilege don't exactly apply-

Here's what he said-

Probably hired as a fixer, which I doubt has any protections. Read Hannity's tweets.
      100%. That was very specific verbage. He used him alright and there is probably no client privilege issue as a result of Hannity's approach necessitated by trying to cover his tracks.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

So Cohen was Hannity's bag man.
        And Hannity is dumb enough to admit it.

That said, it is better or worse that Hannity's name as (whatdayacallit?) a friend, not a client, of Cohen is released?
        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-16-2018, 04:34 PM.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Cause heaven knows, Hannity has never used "guilt by association" himself.
          Subtle, but very finite, difference between a talking head doing that and a prosecutor with the power to convict and jail.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            You use the the law firm of Howe, Dewey, Cheatham, and Wynne* for your real estate transactions, your will, your power of attorney documents.
            HDCW comes under investigation for criminality regarding covering up sexual misconduct of clients.
            Your name is released as an HDCW client by the investigators.
            That's not dangerous ground?

*Not to be confused with Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.
            Every single association we have, action we take or face we present to the public can be misconstrued. That's the risks of interacting with the rest of society. If I see someone wearing a Red Sox cap or Celtics gear I may misconstrue them as an insufferable jerk, because they all are. Then I remember one of my favorite uncles was from New England and a big BoSox and Celts fan.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              If I see someone wearing a Red Sox cap or Celtics gear I may misconstrue them as an insufferable jerk
              "Misconstrue"?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Hannity has clearly stated that Cohen was not hired as a lawyer. So the idea of client privilege don't exactly apply-

Here's what he said-

Probably hired as a fixer, which I doubt has any protections. Read Hannity's tweets.
                If he didn't hire Cohen then there isn't going to be a privilege issue.

However, if he was hired as a "fixer", then I don't think it's so clear.

Candidly, that's what a lot of lawyers are hired to do. They are not just hired to show up in court and argue a case to a jury. They are hired to clean up problems for clients.

If you go hire Guido as your fixer, probably no attorney client privilege, just some broken knee caps. But if you hire a lawyer as your fixer, my guess is that at the very minimum you are entering into some gray areas as to attorney client privilege.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  You use the the law firm of Howe, Dewey, Cheatham, and Wynne* for your real estate transactions, your will, your power of attorney documents.
                  HDCW comes under investigation for criminality regarding covering up sexual misconduct of clients.
                  Your name is released as an HDCW client by the investigators.
                  That's not dangerous ground?

*Not to be confused with Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.
                  why should anyone care if it's revealed who their lawyer is?

especially if they're not doing anything wrong.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    why should anyone care if it's revealed who their lawyer is?

especially if they're not doing anything wrong.
                    This probably happens more frequently than Sic even realizes anyway. He's only concerned because a well known and upstanding conservative like Hannity is having his good name drug through the swamp. I'm sure he was just as up in arms when Clinton faced all that unfortunate legal scrutiny, even though the authorities concluded she committed absolutely no offenses that could be prosecuted.

All kidding aside, I can see why the notion may cause some discomfort for someone, even if they've done nothing wrong and retained some particular attorney's services for absolutely legal and ethical reasons. But in about 90 minutes I am going to hit the interstate for my drive home, and somebody may rear end my car. I guess if I want to suffer no possible disruptions in my life I need to buy a lot of canned goods, a good can opener and go find a remote cave where I can live out the rest of my life.

Sic's problem is he picks and chooses who to be sympathetic towards based on the political affiliation first and foremost. Sort of like how all those ammosexuals revere the 2nd amendment to the point of multiple orgasms, but seem to take no particular interest in most of the rest of the constitution. Except maybe for pining for the days when black people only counted for 3/5ths.
                    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 04-16-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

When you associate with people like trump, who files for bankruptcy for sport, is famous for not paying those he owes, and is notorious for being a liar and a sleazeball, you can’t be too shocked when all of a sudden your name is suddenly being mentioned in questionable contexts

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        When you associate with people like trump, who files for bankruptcy for sport, is famous for not paying those he owes, and is notorious for being a liar and a sleazeball, you can’t be too shocked when all of a sudden your name is suddenly being mentioned in questionable contexts
                        My mom used to say to us as a warning all the time "... the company that you keep."

Comment

If he didn't hire Cohen then there isn't going to be a privilege issue.

However, if he was hired as a "fixer", then I don't think it's so clear.

Candidly, that's what a lot of lawyers are hired to do. They are not just hired to show up in court and argue a case to a jury. They are hired to clean up problems for clients.

If you go hire Guido as your fixer, probably no attorney client privilege, just some broken knee caps. But if you hire a lawyer as your fixer, my guess is that at the very minimum you are entering into some gray areas as to attorney client privilege.
                          Dude, go read Hannity's tweets. He clearly didn't hire him as a lawyer nor for legal-ish things. No idea what it was, but it was not being a lawyer in any shape.

You can keep making up some kind of excuse, but Hannity clearly admits that it's not that.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Dude, go read Hannity's tweets. He clearly didn't hire him as a lawyer nor for legal-ish things. No idea what it was, but it was not being a lawyer in any shape.

You can keep making up some kind of excuse, but Hannity clearly admits that it's not that.
                            I get my daily quota of gibberish here. I don’t need to read that dip*****s tweets.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I get my daily quota of gibberish here. I don’t need to read that dip*****s tweets.
                              Then accept the fact that Hannity is dumb enough to admit that there's no attorney-client privilege. If he kept quiet, the conspiracy crowd would have had something to hang their smelly feces on, but he just swallowed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                So investigating a lawyer now allows for naming every single client that lawyer has represented?

"We think Perry Mason defrauded Joe Schmoe and the city on a jay-walking case he respresented on. Let's get all of Mason's client files and find out everything about the rest of Mason's clients. Who knows ... some other names and clients and cases may 'leak' out."

Something about that comes off as very wrong.

Who here's been divorced* and had the settlement sealed? Would you want those documents swept up in what you thought were privileged attorney/client files and released in such a manner?

*Nope.
                                I think it's funny that your average Republican is more indignant about this than the average attorney.

Comment

Working...
                                X