This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark 4: It's not unusual to be strange anymore

So one of the great things about Facebook is that it reminds you of posts from years past. In one of the posts I made these comments

“and before Marie Curie we used to eat Radium Cheerios for breakfast”
    “Did you know that's where the term 'radio' came from? Radium fortified cheerios. Radi-Os.“
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

@liamstack: • 31% of Americans, and 41 % of millennials, believe that two million or fewer Jews were killed in the Holocaust
      • 41% of Americans, and 66 % of millennials, cannot say what Auschwitz was.
      • 39% of Americans know that Hitler was democratically elected
      https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/u...education.html
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        @liamstack: • 31% of Americans, and 41 % of millennials, believe that two million or fewer Jews were killed in the Holocaust
        • 41% of Americans, and 66 % of millennials, cannot say what Auschwitz was.
        • 39% of Americans know that Hitler was democratically elected
        https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/u...education.html
        What were these numbers in 1990? 1970? 1950?

I don't think we're getting more ignorant. I think we're measuring how ignorant we are more accurately.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-12-2018, 11:36 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I don't think we're getting more ignorant. I think we're getting better at more accurate how ignorant we are.
          Why not both?
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Why not both?
            How many Gen Xers could identify the number of Americans killed in WWI?

How many Boomers could state the number of Indians killed in the Trail of Tears?

In 50 years, my grandchildren's generation will care as much about 9/11 as we do Pearl Harbor. As in not much.

This is just another in a long line of old people complaining about the young. Twas ever thus.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              How many Gen Xers could identify the number of Americans killed in WWI?

How many Boomers could state the number of Indians killed in the Trail of Tears?

This is just another in a long line of old people complaining about the young. Twas ever thus.
              Fair enough. I think maybe the important question is whether they are holocaust deniers. That's where the malignant ignorance comes from. Rather than the benign ignorance you're describing.
              Code:

Comment

I don't think we're getting more ignorant. I think we're measuring how ignorant we are more accurately.
                And how many know about the Armenian genocide during WWI, done by the Young Turks? They didn't teach it where I went to school.

They want people to forget so they can pull it off again.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  And how many know about the Armenian genocide during WWI, done by the Young Turks? They didn't teach it where I went to school.
                  My 9th grade European History teacher was named "Ohanessian." You better believe we learned all about the Armenian genocide.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My 9th grade European History teacher was named "Ohanessian." You better believe we learned all about the Armenian genocide.
                    FlagDUDETTE was in a similar situation during her schooling as you. Bet it's not in the Common Core, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Fair enough. I think maybe the important question is whether they are holocaust deniers. That's where the malignant ignorance comes from. Rather than the benign ignorance you're describing.
                      The same poll found 96% of Americans agree the Holocaust happened, and 93% thought it was important to teach in school.

Funny how Joe left those numbers out.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        The same poll found 96% of Americans agree the Holocaust happened, and 93% thought it was important to teach in school.

Funny how Joe left those numbers out.
                        I'm a bit more worried about the respective 4 and 7. However, as time goes along, history does not get smaller. Yet, it's still a limited amount of time available to teach it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The article says the survey was conducted in late February.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Most of my history teachers in HS were not that interested in teaching the numbers and dates. One in particular said that he wouldn't teach us that stuff, because he though it was more effective to teach experiences to help understand the history. His argument was, what makes you remember the holocaust more? Knowing the number of people killed? Or reading first hand accounts, and seeing pictures? He 100% taught the latter.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Most of my history teachers in HS were not that interested in teaching the numbers and dates. One in particular said that he wouldn't teach us that stuff, because he though it was more effective to teach experiences to help understand the history. His argument was, what makes you remember the holocaust more? Knowing the number of people killed? Or reading first hand accounts, and seeing pictures? He 100% taught the latter.
                              I would think it'd also be important to look at events that led to it. A candidate making promises to improve the lives of a depressed lower-class society, nationalizing education, seizing weapons from undesirables, taking control over media...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                I would think it'd also be important to look at events that led to it. A candidate making promises to improve the lives of a depressed lower-class society, nationalizing education, seizing weapons from undesirables, taking control over media...
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X