This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Kinetic energy weapons are very effective. All boom and no radiation (well outside of heat). Imagine an enterprising government starts mining space rocks (or space junk) and starts aiming it at solid ground or in the ocean just outside a major population center?

Hey, I read too much sci fi.
    Clearly not a real fan though or you would call it SF, not sci fi.

Comment

• Re: Science: Vaccines Work, GMOs Are Safe, Everything is a Chemical

Great.

Donald Trump's advisers are exploring alternatives to bypass the four-year waiting period to back out from the Paris agreement, a member of the transition team told Reuters.

The options include withdrawing from the parent treaty, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, entirely or issuing a presidential order to delete the U.S. signature from the climate deal.

In an interview, former French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Europe should respond with a trade war and institute a carbon tax for U.S. products if Trump backs out.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Why would that be surprising? America doesn't believe in Global Warming. Or science for that matter.

And you know what's going to hurt worst? Smart people will stop immigrating here. That's going to sting and leave a black mark so long it'll never be erased.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They're planning on undermining our credibility for the symbolic gesture of scrapping a treaty that has no teeth to begin with? Weeeeeeee!

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            They're planning on undermining our credibility for the symbolic gesture of scrapping a treaty that has no teeth to begin with? Weeeeeeee!
            LOL. Words never matter. Certainly explains Trump's Presidency. Thanks for clarifying that again.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Why would that be surprising? America doesn't believe in Global Warming. Or science for that matter.

And you know what's going to hurt worst? Smart people will stop immigrating here. That's going to sting and leave a black mark so long it'll never be erased.
              I think you are underestimating how many smart Americans will migrate away, to Europe, where they can do real science. This has all happened before. It's how nations go into tailspins.

Toynbee developed his concept of an "internal proletariat" and an "external proletariat" to describe quite different opposition groups within and outside the frontiers of a civilization. These groups, however, find themselves bound to the fate of the civilization. During its decline and disintegration, they are increasingly disenfranchised or alienated, and thus lose their immediate sense of loyalty or of obligation. Nonetheless an "internal proletariat" may form a "universal church" which survives the civilization's demise, co-opting the useful structures of the earlier time while creating a new philosophical or religious pattern for the next stage of history.

Before the process of decay, the dominant minority had held the internal proletariat in subjugation within the confines of the civilization, causing these oppressed to grow bitter. The external proletariat, living outside the civilization in poverty and chaos, grows envious. Then, in the social stress resulting from the failure of the civilization, the bitterness and envy increase markedly.

Toynbee argues that as civilizations decay, there is a "schism" within the society. In this environment of discord, people resort to archaism (idealization of the past), futurism (idealization of the future), detachment (removal of oneself from the realities of a decaying world), and transcendence (meeting the challenges of the decaying civilization with new insight, e.g., by following a new religion). From among members of an "internal proletariat" who transcend the social decay a "church" may arise. Such an association would contain new and stronger spiritual insights, around which a subsequent civilization may begin to form. Toynbee here uses the word "church" in a general sense, e.g., to refer to a collective spiritual bond found in common worship, or the unity found in an agreed social order.
              If Toynbee is right, once decay is noticeable it is already too late. The coup de grâce might come suddenly or take centuries, but once a significant faction within the civilization has turned backwards and burrowed into its nostalgic re-imagining of the past, the civilization is already dead.

We have been on that road ever since Reagan.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I think you are underestimating how many smart Americans will migrate away, to Europe, where they can do real science. This has all happened before. It's how nations go into tailspins.

If Toynbee is right, once decay is noticeable it is already too late. The coup de grâce might come suddenly or take centuries, but once a significant faction within the civilization has turned backwards and burrowed into its nostalgic re-imagining of the past, the civilization is already dead.

I'm underestimating? I don't think so

Comment

FTFY. This was predicted by the Washington Post

The backdrop for these economic shocks: international chaos. Many Trump early-days promises — halting immigration from terrorist-prone countries, renegotiating NATO terms and the Iran nuclear accord, pulling out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Paris climate-change agreement — would open rifts with allies in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think it was someone on Face the Nation who said that this could hurt the number applications of foreign students who want to study in the world's R&D Mecca, the United States. These students graduate and often stick around creating a high-paying, high tech job. We won't see that for a few years but it will be too late.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Yay, trade wars.

I'll be lucky to have a job in 4 years...
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Engineers and scientists playing with nukes back in the 50s. Boys with big toys.

@AeroDork: Wernher von Braun and his crazy Air Force crew turn night into day with a 3.4MT nuke strapped atop a Redstone during HARDTACK-Teak tests. https://***********/AeroDork/status/...664513/photo/1
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Yay, trade wars.

I'll be lucky to have a job in 4 years...
                          All of us will be lucky. That's the new reality. It makes me wonder what this country offers it's citizenry and why? If I were 20 again I'd be gone.

Comment

All of us will be lucky. That's the new reality. It makes me wonder what this country offers it's citizenry and why? If I were 20 again I'd be gone.
                            I have suggested to my daughter that she explore opportunities teaching English in other countries. Firstly it gets her out of here until this sh-t blows over. Secondly, she might meet somebody over there which would give her the option of flipping.

There are at least a dozen countries where I would prefer to live than the US if I were young enough to start over. Not just as a reaction to The Great Mistake, but in general to steer clear of paying taxes to support the Imperial Storm Troopers and the plutes.

I am only gen 3 on either side. We came here for a better life, more freedom, and more opportunity. My great-grand parents are proof that people vote with their feet.

America is not real estate, it's the principles in a few documents and a few great minds. If those things have moved elsewhere, then America is elsewhere. This place, for whatever reason, is less America every day.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

I have suggested to my daughter that she explore opportunities teaching English in other countries. Firstly it gets her out of here until this sh-t blows over. Secondly, she might meet somebody over there which would give her the option of flipping.

There are at least a dozen countries where I would prefer to live than the US if I were young enough to start over. Not just as a reaction to The Great Mistake, but in general to steer clear of paying taxes to support the Imperial Storm Troopers and the plutes.

I am only gen 3 on either side. We came here for a better life, more freedom, and more opportunity. My great-grand parents are proof that people vote with their feet.
                              I wonder what the nation is going to be like when all the science is gone? I imagine it will be similar to what hell is like for those who have already passed on.

Comment

I wonder what the nation is going to be like when all the science is gone? I imagine it will be similar to what hell is like for those who have already passed on.
                                All the science will never be gone, IMO. The US still has a ton of momentum -- it will be around for hundreds of years and it will have good and bad streaks even if the overall trajectory is towards fascism, which then begets worse problems, hence deeper fascism.

It could be that America was always a pus-sy. Safe between our oceans, rich almost from the opening bell first with land stolen from the indians, then labor stolen from the slaves, and then perfect timing coming into our own with the industrial revolution. We had our ideals but whenever we were even grazed we threw them away (Alien and Sedition Acts, interment camps, Red Scare, Patriot Act). Now, as the future curve of the economy bends down as the rest of the world can finally compete, we choose protectionism and nativist xenophobia. We have not ever been tested to live up to our ideals without failing.

But America has a big club and it will be a long time until it collapses on our own heads. The Byzantine Empire hung on for an extra 700 years past its expiration date and even had a few flirtations with a second wind. The US will too, but boy is the slide down the razor blade of the future going to hurt the soft tushes of a people that have never experienced the suffering which much of the world takes as a baseline.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 11-17-2016, 10:05 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X