X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    cbc?
    No go...at least according to the tv listings schedule.

Hard to believe such an important game not being broadcast but I recall it's happening before.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      Elander got a asst coaching job at OSU.

He's still in the game, so why would his Swedish/Euro recruiting efforts cease?
      The current Duluth roster has 3 Europeans, which is a pretty good number. However, ten years ago when they were winning national championships, they would have six or eight Europeans on their roster. In the 2014 Olympics, two Germans and two Finns were UND Sioux. My point is that these two schools gave a significant number of roster spots to Europeans, which was certainly beneficial to the development of women's hockey in Europe.

I am not saying that the Bulldogs should give their scholarships to Croatians instead of Hornets, I am saying that the cause of worldwide women's hockey development is advanced when European (or Asian) players come to the US for college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        The current Duluth roster has 3 Europeans, which is a pretty good number. However, ten years ago when they were winning national championships, they would have six or eight Europeans on their roster. In the 2014 Olympics, two Germans and two Finns were UND Sioux. My point is that these two schools gave a significant number of roster spots to Europeans, which was certainly beneficial to the development of women's hockey in Europe.
        Elander is why UND started getting European players. He's a good coach, but the number one reason you hire him is because he knows everyone involved in European women's hockey (and most of those on the men's side) and he'll get recruits. Expect more Europeans to start showing up on OSU's roster.

Comment

Yes, I understand the point that you were making but was trying to point out that UND is not gone in the sense that you meant because Elander, as Eyeore explained, was the reason that UND began recruiting European players. He was the Head coach of Team Sweden at the Vancouver Olympics (2010) and UND hired him right after those games. UND folded and he got a job at OSU so I would imagine that he would continue to play to his strength and continue to recruit European players where he has a reputation.

Miller (UMD) was the only one doing that for years and after other schools started to go to school on her (UND, and to a lesser extent UM, OSU, and I think BSU from what I recall with a few others) it became more difficult for her because now she had competition in the European recruiting pool.

I am not saying that the Bulldogs should give their scholarships to Croatians
          Got a good laugh out of this.

I'm still waiting for someone to recruit a player from The Faroe Islands.

Comment

Forgot that I had seen the game listed as being scheduled to be broadcast on the Latin channel so I wrote it off.

Heard some English happening an hour before the game so decided I'd take my chances. No luck. Play by play is in Italian...which isn't half as weird as the NHL game I stumbled upon a few months ago with the play by play in Punjabi. That took a while to wrap my head around. But the problem here is the more I listen to this Italian play by play guy the hungrier I'm getting. He certainly does sound enthusiastic enough.

Fin 0 - Can 2 (arguably 3) after one.

Canada scored a scant 25 seconds into the game on a beautiful play by Daoust with Agosta on a 2 on 1. She delayed the pass until she had both the defenceman and Raty committed to their left and dished it to Agosta who had the open net. Raty didn't even attempt to turn towards Agosta which is unusual for her but I guess she thought she was so cleanly beaten that there was no point.

Finland had a couple of chances but didn't capitalize.

Then one of their defenders came out from behind her net and the puck bounced off her stick as she gained momentum and Poulin was there to scoop it up right in front of Raty...deeked her cleanly and went 3 hole with a backhand but the ref didn't see it and it was a minute or so later that it was reviewed and confirmed.

Then late in the period Johnson with a wrist shot short side that looked like it went in and Spooner was there to bang it home (again?) and both she and Johnson raised their arms signalling a goal but the ref didn't see this one either. This one was understandable. But no overhead camera??? That might have confirmed it either way. It was reviewed and waived off. Raty was sliding back into her net and you couldn't see the puck outside the goal line or between her pad and the post so one would think that it was past the goal line but her pad was up against the inside of the net and it might have been massaged forward...who knows, except maybe those three?

Team Canada is giving Raty and Finland nightmares so far.

Comment

No go...at least according to the tv listings schedule.

Hard to believe such an important game not being broadcast but I recall it's happening before.
              TSN has radio. Sportsnet??
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                TSN has radio. Sportsnet??
                It's live on CBC and NBCSN.

Comment

I thought the officials' skill level was very amateurish at best. Not sure they should be doing Olympic hockey. They seemed to not be able to move quick enough to get out of the way, too short to see the play on the far side of the net, and simply looked out of their element. Maybe they should be doing D3 games where they might be able to do a better job.

Szabados looked to be fighting the puck all night. Her upper body appeared to be always leaning too far forward when the action came towards her which made her look off-balance and not as laterally mobile as in the past. Jealous of her hair though!
                  Last edited by shelfit; 02-13-2018, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    It's live on CBC and NBCSN.
                    WHAT??? Just saw your post and checked CBC but I guess they just switched coverage. It was an experience in Italian.

4-0 Canada after two. Nice goal by Saulnier all alone after a long head man pass to her by Johnson. Between the 1 and 2 hole.

Missed the third goal and no replays between periods. (Maybe someone can fill me in).

Finland scored about 8 minutes into the third after catching Canada on a bad change (only 2 men on the ice)...this gave the Finns an extra spark.

Canada with lots of opportunities in close throughout the game.

Raty pulled for the extra attacker with 3 minutes left but no go.

Good fast game with a different feel than the US - Finland game. As great a team as Finland has you sensed that this one was never in doubt. The first goal 25 seconds into the game might have had something to do with that.

Comment

Fin 0 - Can 2 (arguably 3) after one.
                      I would say 3-0. NBC has an angle that really appeared it was all the way in off Johnston’s shot. Spooner poked it further across the line. Rough period for Raty.

Comment

Heard some English happening an hour before the game so decided I'd take my chances. No luck. Play by play is in Italian...which isn't half as weird as the NHL game I stumbled upon a few months ago with the play by play in Punjabi. That took a while to wrap my head around..
                        HBO Real Sports (Bryant Gumbel’s show) did a feature on the Punjabi announcers. It was quite interesting.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Could it possibly be that other teams are finally starting to slowly but surely close the gap?! That would be great if true. I welcome tougher games/opponents for the US and Canada. Isn't that what we all want so they don't get rid of women's hockey at the Olympics??? Closing the gap absolutely WILL get people talking about our sport. I thought that was the goal and obvious to all true fans of our sport. Blowouts and easy wins on the world stage DO NOT help anyone!!!! Every game of this tournament should be a tough challenge and well worth watching, not just the two games where the US and Canada will face each other.
                          For me, it was not the score, but the style / caliber of play. Team USA is 1 stride forward, 2 passes back. Constant retreat. Both USA and Canada were sloppier with the puck than I anticipated, maybe just first game jitters, but there is a lot of experience on that stage for errant passes and puck mishandling. We shall see~
                          Last edited by DC78-82; 02-13-2018, 06:25 AM.
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

What the f is wrong with the refs? Dumb, incompetent, just plain negligent and stupid . They should not be refereeing women's games. Very obvious from the CBC angle showed the puck going in. The problem with the IIHF is they are so obsessed about the image of women refereeing women's games and "growing the game" that they will hire yahoos to referee important games at the Olympics.

Women or not, dumb and incompetent people should not be deciding important games, much less at the Olympics.

in other very disappointing news, team canada women's GM publicly stated that at the next OG, will see an all women alumni coaching staff at the team canada women's senior level. This is concerning given the horrible results that the women's coaching staff have achieved for 4 years at all levels. No to Nadine Muzerall, Cara Morey, and the likes. They have had their chance and blew it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                              in other very disappointing news, team canada women's GM publicly stated that at the next OG, will see an all women alumni coaching staff at the team canada women's senior level. This is concerning given the horrible results that the women's coaching staff have achieved for 4 years at all levels. No to Nadine Muzerall, Cara Morey, and the likes. They have had their chance and blew it.
                              Hmmm...because specific women have not produced the desired results in the past, no women should be involved in the future. You will have to defend that position without my help.

Comment

Hmmm...because specific women have not produced the desired results in the past, no women should be involved in the future. You will have to defend that position without my help.
                                Its not that. If a particular coaching staff fails to bring home gold and/or show signs of good coaching, they are out of the program. Hockey Canada does the same on the men's side. Win/develop and return. Morey and Muzzerall did not have very good results on the score sheet or with the players when given the opportunity. Hockey Canada will continue to bring in women to coach the womens team, that wont change. Unlike the US who takes the best coach. While I am not against women coaching I do think there are just not enough highly qualified ones. They are brought in too early and too young and thrown the gauntlet. They need to learn first as an assistant coach and work their way up. US is doing that with Crowell (who in my humble opinion is the best female coach right now). Slow and steady.

I heard Ohio does have 3 Europeans coming in next year. A F, D and G. They were turned down by the Euro's they really wanted but the shift is starting.

Comment

Working...
                                X