• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Women's World Championships

Julie Foudy:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/voices/art...ort-women-team
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Some more detail here, and following the article already 261 comments.

US women's hockey players threaten boycott over wages
        http://www.startribune.com/us-women-...BYyYoJB9E3rmeH
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Here's a bit of the Canadian slant on the issue...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/wi...ages-1.4025895

Comment

So how much do countries other than US and Canada pay their women's national team players for these events or during Olympic years? I can't imagine they get very much.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              So how much do countries other than US and Canada pay their women's national team players for these events or during Olympic years? I can't imagine they get very much.
              I think one difference is the US is the only team to centralize for the whole olympic year other than Canada. The rest of the countries just come together for a couple/few weeks around the olympics. I don't think they don't come together every year multiple times as do the US and Canada.

Are we just fooling ourselves, pretending we are an ongoing team? Expecting all of these players to work out and perform as if they were full time athletes without giving them the means to do so and the system is finally breaking?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Some more detail here, and following the article already 261 comments.

US women's hockey players threaten boycott over wages
                http://www.startribune.com/us-women-...BYyYoJB9E3rmeH
                D2D, are the 261 comments ill-considered and shot from the hip?
                Or are they carefully considered, well informed comments

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  I think you already know the answer.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I think one difference is the US is the only team to centralize for the whole olympic year other than Canada. The rest of the countries just come together for a couple/few weeks around the olympics. I don't think they don't come together every year multiple times as do the US and Canada.

Are we just fooling ourselves, pretending we are an ongoing team? Expecting all of these players to work out and perform as if they were full time athletes without giving them the means to do so and the system is finally breaking?
                    Its a tough spot....you cant really give out 4 year contracts....what if someone gets passed, cut, etc? You cant pick the team 4 years out.

Maybe a sponsor based model like track is the way to go? Get Nike or UA to pony up as part of the uniform deal?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      Its a tough spot....you cant really give out 4 year contracts....what if someone gets passed, cut, etc? You cant pick the team 4 years out.

Maybe a sponsor based model like track is the way to go? Get Nike or UA to pony up as part of the uniform deal?
                      You could have continuous contract that pays month to month. Once cut or replaced financial support ends. I'm sure the players would agree to that. Canada has found a way to give their players $1,500 per month all year every year and substantially more during Olympic year.

I think asking USA Hockey to get more on par with Hockey Canada Women's hockey is not too much to ask although Canadian government helps out with their athletes' compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
                        You could have continuous contract that pays month to month. Once cut or replaced financial support ends. I'm sure the players would agree to that. Canada has found a way to give their players $1,500 per month all year every year and substantially more during Olympic year.

I think asking USA Hockey to get more on par with Hockey Canada Women's hockey is not too much to ask although Canadian government helps out with their athletes' compensation.
                        I agree with this. You can't have a 4 year contract but it can be figured out. Maybe you have to pick a team each year and then that team gets a 1 year deal or month to month. One interesting point (to me anyway) in this debate is the issue of support of girls hockey equal to boys. Why do we have the NTDP for boys and not for girls and why do we have the NTDP for boys at all when the Olympic teams are picked from the NHL? What purpose does it really serve other than sucking up a lot of available funding? It seems to me that a more logical argument can be made that there should be an NTDP for girls and not boys. Given that the support given to men's & women's hockey is a subsidy from a quasi governmental entity, there would seem to be a strong legal ground that funding should be at least equal or equal opportunity.

Comment

I put one of these there for a reason!
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Detroit? Isn't that in Michigan, home to so many D1 women's hockey teams?
                            Haha! Touche'. That is a whole other disappointing subject! 7 Division 1 Men's teams in Michigan. 0 girls teams. Only two Division 3 girls teams, one competitive. No wonder girls leave the state!

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                              I agree with this. You can't have a 4 year contract but it can be figured out. Maybe you have to pick a team each year and then that team gets a 1 year deal or month to month. One interesting point (to me anyway) in this debate is the issue of support of girls hockey equal to boys. Why do we have the NTDP for boys and not for girls and why do we have the NTDP for boys at all when the Olympic teams are picked from the NHL? What purpose does it really serve other than sucking up a lot of available funding? It seems to me that a more logical argument can be made that there should be an NTDP for girls and not boys. Given that the support given to men's & women's hockey is a subsidy from a quasi governmental entity, there would seem to be a strong legal ground that funding should be at least equal or equal opportunity.
                              In Canada we consider these athletes first and foremost Olympic/Elite level athletes so they are "carded". That means their primary focus is training to perform at an Elite/global level so the government gives them $1,500 per month, every month, every year. There are additional funds beyond that specific to Olympic years, training costs, etc.

So if you make the Canadian National Team, you won't get rich but at least you won't have to scrounge for meal money.....

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                                Haha! Touche'. That is a whole other disappointing subject! 7 Division 1 Men's teams in Michigan. 0 girls teams. Only two Division 3 girls teams, one competitive. No wonder girls leave the state!
                                Yes Historic Michigan College Men's hockey programs but not 1 D1 Women's program. Perfect choice to host Women's World Championships and Women's Tier 1 National Tournament for U14, U16, and U19 all in the same week... Ha

Comment

Working...
                                X