Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2017-18 Season Thread

Just to put things in perspective, attendance for the other three conference championship games:

Clarkson/Colgate - 1,187
    Northeastern/Connecticut - 540
    Mercyhurst/Robert Morris - 562
    Total: 2,289
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Capacity, the internet tells me, is 3400. That means to get 1800, every other seat has to be filled. Look at the video highlights available here and there; not every other seat is filled. Not close.
      A lot of people end up standing along the rails in Ridder. Looking down from upstairs, I thought that the 1800 is close. You're entitled to use whatever estimation methods you like to disagree with me, although I would assume that you'd admit that I had some views that you did not. Anyway, I've definitely seen buildings in more of a "Not close" situation.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        A lot of people end up standing along the rails in Ridder. Looking down from upstairs, I thought that the 1800 is close. You're entitled to use whatever estimation methods you like to disagree with me, although I would assume that you'd admit that I had some views that you did not. Anyway, I've definitely seen buildings in more of a "Not close" situation.

Do you know anyone in the UM athletic department who might be able to tell you a 'tickets scanned' number? We, generally, all did this last year with 'Fill The Bowl' and a 'tickets scanned' number ultimately became known, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          Peters showed herself to be everything we knew she could be. She is a "money player" Count on her when it is on the line. I have not been as impressed by a teams performance since 2012. That year the team seemed to be having sort of a down year, until the WCHA playoffs & they really stepped up (tore off 62 in a row actually). Then we got spoiled a lot. Seemed like it would have been more than $50. All three games were poorly officiated.
          Sydney Peters is a great goalie and a great kid. I know a father and his daughter goalie that are so happy for her. All the crap she took from the posters on here and she shut them all up.
          Go Syd...except for the final game (if we're lucky enough) of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
            Sydney Peters is a great goalie and a great kid. I know a father and his daughter goalie that are so happy for her. All the crap she took from the posters on here and she shut them all up.
            Go Syd...except for the final game (if we're lucky enough) of course.
            100% agree. I said at the time that goalies get too much credit & too much blame. I don't remember if I also mentioned how down on Amanda some of those same people were when she had a tough early season. If I didn't I should have. Syd was not the problem this season but did take the lion's share of the blame.

Comment

Do you know anyone in the UM athletic department who might be able to tell you a 'tickets scanned' number? We, generally, all did this last year with 'Fill The Bowl' and a 'tickets scanned' number ultimately became known, IIRC.
              I'm sure the number is available if someone wants to do enough digging. GPL has done several articles about sold vs. scanned tickets at Mariucci, where that really is a significant issue as nearly 25% of all tickets have been going unscanned in recent years. Certainly, FtB it was an issue where they sold 13k tickets, yet entire sections of the lower bowl were empty, so clearly there was a disconnect.

But I really don't see how that's likely to be a significant issue in this case. You don't have season ticket holders for these games, you don't have $1 tickets where people buy them and don't care if they don't end up using them, and it's not a situation like we could see at the Frozen Four where people bought tickets anticipating a sellout, and then their team didn't make it. So I just don't see how it's likely that hundreds of people are spending $15 to $35 on tickets and then not using them.

And again, we're talking apples to apples anyway. Whatever the number of unscanned tickets there were this year, is there any reason to think that number would be significantly higher than in previous years - other than an attendance guess based on what you watched on tv?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                Which is why it's so disappointing that the UW athletics department is such a bunch of ****ed cheapskates and didn't build a proper women's hockey facility.
                In February of 2004 there was a Power Play Club luncheon at Jax Cafe in Minneapolis. Coach Halldorson was there along with guest speaker Mark Johnson. One of the PPC members (he's still around) asked him how the plans for building a women's hockey facility were coming along. He was somewhat positive in his outlook on that and mentioned that the plan was that it would also be used as a men's practice facility. He was hopeful that it eventually would be built, but I bet he never thought it would take another 7 years just to break ground. Perhaps a "proper women's hockey facility" was never part of the grand plan.

I don't know, but is it now or has it ever been used as a men's practice facility?
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-05-2018, 07:28 PM. Reason: Whatever it took to get built I guess.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  I don't know, but is it now or has it ever been used as a men's practice facility?

To the best of my knowledge, yes, absolutely.

The only alternatives when the Kohl Center was set up for basketball were/are a rink in a building next to Camp Randall Stadium (building called 'the Shell'; 200 meter indoor track), or out to the Dane County Coliseum. The Shell is a mile from the Kohl Center, and the Coliseum is 2 to 3 miles. You used to see hockey players riding the scooters, two per scooter, sticks and pads en tow, riding back and forth to one or the other rinks. In the middle of winter. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't get down to that area as much as I used to at that time of day, but when I do, I no longer see any scooter-riding hockey players.

Comment

I said at the time that goalies get too much credit & too much blame. I don't remember if I also mentioned how down on Amanda some of those same people were when she had a tough early season.
                    Leveille? When did she have a tough early season? I only remember her having one bad weekend as a Gopher, and unfortunately, it happened when a lot of people were watching. That is one of the problems that Sid Peters has had; her career followed seven straight years of Noora and Lev. We were accustomed to seeing just about everything possible being stopped, by two goalies whose competitiveness was all you could ask. Good for Peters. Her compete level this weekend wouldn't take a backseat to anyone. No matter what happens from here, with her NCAA shutout at Duluth and her play this weekend, she's written her name into the history of Gopher hockey.

Comment

Leveille? When did she have a tough early season? I only remember her having one bad weekend as a Gopher, and unfortunately, it happened when a lot of people were watching. That is one of the problems that Sid Peters has had; her career followed seven straight years of Noora and Lev. We were accustomed to seeing just about everything possible being stopped, by two goalies whose competitiveness was all you could ask. Good for Peters. Her compete level this weekend wouldn't take a backseat to anyone. No matter what happens from here, with her NCAA shutout at Duluth and her play this weekend, she's written her name into the history of Gopher hockey.
                      I remember Leveille being whined about early one year. Particularly complaints about rebounds. I noted (correctly I believe) that she was doing exactly what she wanted with the puck but the team was not on the same page so the rebounds were left open. They worked through that & rebounds got cleared and they won a championship. Peter's issues were not rebounds but a couple of poor starts that caused some people to complain & blame her for a lot of failings that were not hers. This weekend she stood on her head a few times to make saves but was solid as she has been for most of the season.

Comment

I remember Leveille being whined about early one year. Particularly complaints about rebounds.
                        I think that was mostly Badger fans; it's not quite the same thing when the opposition is whining after you shut them out.

Comment

I think that was mostly Badger fans; it's not quite the same thing when the opposition is whining after you shut them out.
                          I particularly remember a game in Bemidji that went to OT(but given the injuries my memory gets fuzzy around details). She left some rebounds out high that ended up in the net. I don't recall her having many losses but I remember people comparing her negatively to Nora. It didn't last long though, I do remember a banner getting hung for that year!

Maybe I am a bit sensitive to whining about goalies, "ne7minder" has been my handle for more than 25 years now

Comment

Was on the road driving to Florida Saturday and Sunday. The Wife and I were able to listen to Dan on the audio stream and were really happy for this group of players after the result Sunday.
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I was privy to the chat between members of the promotions department and the "scanned tix" match the attendance figures.

As for Bucky hosting the WCHA FFO, I think many in the league would love that, but as UW people have told me is that it boils down to lack of locker room facilities and to some degree lack of press area.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Was on the road driving to Florida Saturday and Sunday. The Wife and I were able to listen to Dan on the audio stream and were really happy for this group of players after the result Sunday.
                                Thanks for the tune-in, Fiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X