The Cell Phone Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Not caring at all about cell phones, I tagged along with my wife yesterday to see if we had any updates.

I swear the look & feel of the Verizon store exactly matches the experience of buying a car. Same color balance of ads and doo-dads on the walls, same slightly superior / stressed out demeanor of the staff, same wait, same hushed excitement of the patrons as if they were actually getting something interesting.

I completely don't get it.
    Cell phone stores make me feel very uncomfortable.

Comment

• Re: The Cell Phone Thread

Ugh. Lollipop update disables foxfi's WiFi tethering hack for VZW HTC One. Hope it gets patched.

Comment

My HTC One M7 was hobbling to the finish line (the battery had swelled so much it was warping and dislodging the screen,) so I switched to T-Mobile and picked up a Galaxy Note 4.

5 GB a month + a starting 10 GB "stash" in case of going over + unused monthly data rolls over for up to 12 months + reimbursed for your other carrier's early termination fees. All $70 a month. Can't beat that with a stick.

The phone itself is ginormous. This thing could probably kill a small dog if you dropped it out a window.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          The phone itself is ginormous. This thing could probably kill a small dog if you dropped it out a window.
          Yeah, that definitely took a bit of getting used to. But I was surprised it still fits in my pocket, even when seated.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            Ugh. Lollipop update disables foxfi's WiFi tethering hack for VZW HTC One. Hope it gets patched.
            Give it a month...the hackers are always working.

Also, back when I had a rooted phone, the conventional wisdom amongst the hackers i trusted on the forums was never take an update until they tell you it has been broken.

I have an M7 unrooted and it runs great. My girlfriend has the Note 3 and I would never switch to those things. I dislike Touchwiz anyways and the size is just stupid big.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Give it a month...the hackers are always working.

Also, back when I had a rooted phone, the conventional wisdom amongst the hackers i trusted on the forums was never take an update until they tell you it has been broken.

I have an M7 unrooted and it runs great. My girlfriend has the Note 3 and I would never switch to those things. I dislike Touchwiz anyways and the size is just stupid big.
              Ya, I had a rooted razr maxx previously, but didn't need to root this because foxfi doesn't require it.

Typically I wait on updates anyways, but it escaped my mind this go around. Atleast I still have USB tethering for now.

Comment

Just ordered my Galaxy S6 (curved screen), 128gb model. I just reached 1 yr on my edge program a few days ago. So that was the delay.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

So I've been poking around with Google Handwriting.

Overall meh. Heard nothing but good reviews, but I've found it still makes quite a few comical Apple Newton-esque errors. It seems to have the most problems with spacing and capitalization (I have a Note 4 and its default handwriting input has the same problems.) Not quite good enough to replace a keyboard in some areas, and there's no way to switch besides swiping down the notification bar.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Surprised I haven't seen any backlash over the whole recent VZW blocking foxfi for a few days. However, it is confirmed to be working again as of around noon.

Also, VZW increasing the grandfathered unlimited data users $20.

Comment

I upgraded my cell phone over the lunch hour, and ended up getting a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 2 Bluetooth speaker for $10. Not bad, not bad at all. That's my contribution to Black Friday, and it only happened because I received my cell phone bill yesterday with a $15 increase for next month. I view my bill online, found out why the increase happened, went to talk to a rep about changing my plan and saw that I could upgrade my phone and decrease my monthly plan cost. Done. Then they told me about the speaker deal because of the upgrade. Doubly done.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Had to search to dig this thread up.

Finally sent my four year old flip phone to the farm so it can frolicking with other flip phones. VZW was running one hell of a deal on the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Normally a $33/mo. phone for just $15/mo.

Almost as good as their Black Friday Galaxy S7 for $10.

So I jumped at it and finally joined the 21st century.

I've had smart phones for work for eight years, and the wife has had one almost as long. I long wanted an iPhone because they just worked for my wife and my Android work phones never did what I wanted. My latest work phone (Motorola Droid Turbo) was the best I had so far, but it was still not quite as good as the iPhone.

I took a gamble because I had friends rave about their S5 and S6's. I've had it just three days but it's done what I need it too: make and hold calls. I like it.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          phone for just $15/mo.
                          I just..............

Hey, here's $30 (at most) for a phone. It's now mine. No rental/lease. We good? Cool.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Finally sent my four year old flip phone to the farm so it can frolicking with other flip phones. VZW was running one hell of a deal on the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Normally a $33/mo. phone for just $15/mo.

I've had smart phones for work for eight years, and the wife has had one almost as long. I long wanted an iPhone because they just worked for my wife and my Android work phones never did what I wanted. My latest work phone (Motorola Droid Turbo) was the best I had so far, but it was still not quite as good as the iPhone.

I took a gamble because I had friends rave about their S5 and S6's. I've had it just three days but it's done what I need it too: make and hold calls. I like it.
                            My wife has has 3 edges in less than a year. The displays suck
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I just..............

Hey, here's $30 (at most) for a phone. It's now mine. No rental/lease. We good? Cool.
                              It's mine after 24 months. It's like the old two-year contract agreements.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              My wife has has 3 edges in less than a year. The displays suck
                              Oh sure. *Now* I hear the negative reviews.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

I have an S7 (not an "Edge," whatever that is, just a plain old S7). It's my first smart phone as well. I like it very much and it has not yet exploded.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X