Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..of course.. we at NU know bit about head scratching AD decisions.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      now why again did umo pass on him when they dumped timmy??
      Is that a "baiting" question?

Here's the deal. Tim had been fired and Montgomery was looking for a job. Montgomery was waiting for a call from the AD and never got one. Montgomery was perplexed and openly said he could make Maine once again a national power. I'm just guessing here, but I think the AD was somewhat scared off by the past issue that Montgomery had. In addition, the AD was on his way out the door. Basically, Maine being a public institution they had to go through all of the academic and human resource protocols before hiring anyone. I suspect Denver being private could streamline this process a bit. Anyway, Denver jumped in and made the offer to Montgomery and he took it. Can't blame him. Way more money and much easier to recruit talent for Denver then it would be at Maine. Best situation for he and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        big boo boo by AD i think. that one.. head scratcher.
        Just a bit of a mistake.

@runsub - I understand the circumstances surrounding the transition of powers at Maine, but no one there bothered to at least give him a phone call? And what issue was it that he had in the past?
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Just a bit of a mistake.

@runsub - I understand the circumstances surrounding the transition of powers at Maine, but no one there bothered to at least give him a phone call? And what issue was it that he had in the past?
          Yes, Montgomery certainly deserved a phone call. He admitted making a poor decision before driving an automobile. We all make mistakes at some point in our lives. You learn from them and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Yes, Montgomery certainly deserved a phone call. He admitted making a poor decision before driving an automobile. We all make mistakes at some point in our lives. You learn from them and move on.
            ..you dont understand.. the peeps at BU.. they all clean. they dont make mistakes.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Just a bit of a mistake.

He wasn't considered because of HR issues. It had nothing to do with the timing of the transition. In Red's defense, Jimmy inherited much more at Denver than he would have at Maine. That's not to say Jimmy wouldn't have more successful than Red but Maine wouldn't be anywhere close to where Denver is right now.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                Ah yeah, just found that buried in an article. Seven years prior at that time he gets one DWI, obviously a very big lapse in judgment, but I would think staying clean and having no record since would make his hiring more than justifiable. If that's the reason they didn't make the hire, that's letting a huge opportunity pass by.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  He wasn't considered because of HR issues. It had nothing to do with the timing of the transition. In Red's defense, Jimmy inherited much more at Denver than he would have at Maine. That's not to say Jimmy wouldn't have more successful than Red but Maine wouldn't be anywhere close to where Denver is right now.
                  Of course Jim inherited a program in MUCH better position at DU than he would have at Maine, but based on how he's recruited and how obviously well-coached his DU teams have been, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have brought Maine back to being a Hockey East home ice contender and competing for an at-large NCAA bid by this point.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
                    This is why a good friend of mine (who played Major Junior in Canada) believes that the NHL should go back to drafting 21 year olds. It will never happen, of course.
                    So Austin Matthews and David Pasternak, to name just two, should still be a year or two from playing in the NHL?
                    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                      So Austin Matthews and David Pasternak, to name just two, should still be a year or two from playing in the NHL?
                      And McDavid, Laine, Eichel, Nylander, Marner, Aho and Provorov. All guys playing huge roles on their NHL teams. The system is fine the way it is.
                      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
                        This is why a good friend of mine (who played Major Junior in Canada) believes that the NHL should go back to drafting 21 year olds. It will never happen, of course.
                        I looked up the history of the draft and, if Wikipedia is to be believed, 21 year old North Americas have never been draft eligible. According to the article any amateur player under 20 was originally eligible. In 1979 the rules were change to included professional players and in 1980 the rules were changed to limit the draft to players between the ages of 18 and 20 and non-North American players over 20.

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                        Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                        And McDavid, Laine, Eichel, Nylander, Marner, Aho and Provorov. All guys playing huge roles on their NHL teams. The system is fine the way it is.
                        Yes, but they are the exceptions, not the rule. Looking at players ages on Hockey Reference I see four 18 year olds, fifteen 19 year olds, and thirty-five 20-year olds who have played in the NHL this season. Out of 848 skaters and 88 goalies that is just 6.4% (0.47% for 18 year olds; 1.8% for 19 year olds; 4.1% for 20 year olds) of skaters and 5.8% (0.43% for 18 year olds; 1.6% for 19 year olds; 3.7% for 20 year olds) of all players. Those numbers include all players who played even a single game in the NHL this season, including Brock Boeser, so I expect the number of 18 year olds to increase by one tonight.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Who will be the whipping boy on defense now that chuck is gonna sign with the bruins?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            now why again did umo pass on him when they dumped timmy??
                            Apparently there was some "incident" that had occurred. I don't know if it was something minor like DUI or what (I'm sure someone on the Maine thread can tell you), but they played the "character" card against him.

EDIT: OK, so I don't always go through the entire thread and read ALL the posts before I respond...
                            Last edited by chickod; 03-27-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Who will be the whipping boy on defense now that chuck is gonna sign with the bruins?
                              I think we can still blame it on Chucky No-Goals.

Comment

Elliotte Friedman on NHL Network talking about early departures and saying that McAvoy likely to leave now that Colin White has made a decision. Not sure his reasoning that those are related, but he seemed fairly certain.

Comment

Working...
                                X