Premier D3 jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Premier D3 jobs

You're not putting Plattsburgh in the same breath as St.Norbert, Oswego, Adrian, UWSP, and Norwich....maybe even as far as Trinity...sorry. This isn't the late 90's to early 2000's where Plattsburgh went to 5 Final Four's in 7 years. Oswego has easily taken over that spot, as has Geneseo. If Plattsburgh is "relevant" you might as well add Utica, Hobart, Babson, UMB, and Williams in there too. Just because Plattsburgh has won the SUNYAC 5 times, it didn't mean they were a National Contender each year. The same can't be said for a team like St.Norbert, Adrian, UWSP, Oswego ect ect who were considered the favorites the majority of those years. Did Plattsburgh have a few good years? Sure. But they are not the powerhouse they were years ago. The years when it was EXPECTED to be in the Final Four, not just a "happy to be here". 2 Final Four's in the past 11 years... TWO regular season titles in the past 9 years....

If you want to put Plattsburgh in the "good" teams over the past decade? Sure....but they're not on the level of the mentioned above...sorry. Some people can't get over the fact Plattsburgh isn't the same Plattsburgh as years past, but thinking they are in the same mention of St.Norbert, Adrian, Norwich, Oswego, and others is simply laughable. Yes the SUNYAC has become better. Yes Plattsburgh has one of the best DIII coaches around. While they may not be the Dallas Cowboys (1996) or Montreal Canadiens (1993) as far as Championship appearances go (2010, 2008)....

In the past 8 seasons Final Four Appearances

St.Norbert - 6
    Norwich - 4
    UWSP - 4
    Oswego - 4
    Adrian - 3
    Trinity - 2
    Geneseo - 2
    Amherst - 2
    UWEC - 1
    Salve - 1
    Colby - 1
    UMB - 1
    Utica - 1

Plattsburgh......0.....

13 different teams have made it to the final weekend.....Plattsburgh has not been one of them...so yes, to some...in order to be relevant, one should probably make it to the final weekend at least once in the past 8 years.....
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
      Just giving my opinion
      As am I

Comment

Never did I say they were in the same breath as teams such as St. Norbert or Norwich but to call a team that has averaged 19 wins for the past 10 years not relevant is crazy. Plattsburgh may not be title contenders or have been in the final four in the past 8 years but does that make them less relevant then a team like Colby or the others that have made 1 or 2 final fours in 8 years. How many teams in D3 can say that they have made the NCAA tournament 5x in the past 10 years regardless or a AQ or not, my guess is not to many. Your right this is not the same Plattsburgh team of the 90's early 2000's but have you stopped to ask yourself why other teams maintain the same level of play as they did back in the early 90's early 2000's? Teams have been able to maintain their level of play or close to it where Plattsburgh's has dropped of dramatically. Plattsburgh is heading down the same road as Middlebury did after they won so many championships which is the road to not being relevant. Plattsburgh hasn't had a 100 career point player since Satim and Clarke and haven't had a dominate goalie since Hince. Emery was once on of the best in D3 but he, like Plattsburgh, has fallen down the list.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          In the past 8 seasons Final Four Appearances

St.Norbert - 6
          Norwich - 4
          UWSP - 4
          Oswego - 4
          Adrian - 3
          Trinity - 2
          Geneseo - 2
          Amherst - 2
          UWEC - 1
          Salve - 1
          Colby - 1
          UMB - 1
          Utica - 1

Plattsburgh......0.....

13 different teams have made it to the final weekend.....Plattsburgh has not been one of them...so yes, to some...in order to be relevant, one should probably make it to the final weekend at least once in the past 8 years.....
          So my opinion is that "relevant" is completely different than "perennial powerhouse". Five trips to the national tournament in 10 years would seem to be relevant to me. Little success in the tourney prevents them from being a perennial power or contender, but I still think they are relevant. I wonder why you picked such an odd number for your stat of 8 years. Then I remembered, they made the final four nine years ago - that would have ruined your argument. BTW, I do believe all the teams you mentioned (Utica, etc.) are relevant, but none are in that upper echelon that St. Norbert, Norwich, and UWSP occupy.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
            I wonder why you picked such an odd unusual number for your stat of 8 years. Then I remembered, they made the final four nine years ago - that would have ruined your argument. BTW, I do believe all the teams you mentioned (Utica, etc.) are relevant, but none are in that upper echelon that St. Norbert, Norwich, and UWSP occupy.
            Perhaps this is what you meant since 8 is not an odd number - it is even
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
              Never did I say they were in the same breath as teams such as St. Norbert or Norwich but to call a team that has averaged 19 wins for the past 10 years not relevant is crazy. Plattsburgh may not be title contenders or have been in the final four in the past 8 years but does that make them less relevant then a team like Colby or the others that have made 1 or 2 final fours in 8 years.
              Again, it goes back to what you consider relevant. Of the 81 DIII teams? Sure. Compared to a Potsdam, USM, Middlebury....yes Plattsburgh looks pretty good. 19 wins is awesome, when compared to the middle of the pack DIII land. Is Plattsburgh the Washington Capitals of DIII? Make it to the dance, but can't make it past the first round? I was simply putting Colby (and others) on the list to show that if Plattsburgh was "relevant" under my definition (and others) they SHOULD have made at least ONE Final Four appearance in 8 years (two Senior classes). ESPECIALLY as you pointed out that they've had 4 chances in the past 8 years. Just an appearance would make them a little more in the limelight (relevant). If making a Final Four NINE years ago makes you relevant today....Middlebury must still be king as well...10 is just right, but 13 is too long because that was their last trip?? E

How many teams in D3 can say that they have made the NCAA tournament 5x in the past 10 years regardless or a AQ or not, my guess is not to many.
              Adrian - 8 of the last 9
              Augsburg - 3 of the last 3
              Geneseo - 3 of the last 6 (2 Final Fours)
              Hobart - 5 of the last 10 (1 Final Four)
              Norwich - 7 of the last 10 (5 Final Fours)
              Oswego - 7 of the last 9 (5 Final Fours)
              St.Norbert - 8 of the last 9 (7 Final Fours , 4 Championships)
              St.Thomas - 3 of the last 9
              Trinity - 3 of the last 4 (2 Final Fours, 1 Championship)
              UWSP - 5 of the last 5 (4 Final Fours, 1 Championship)
              Plattsburgh - 4 of the last 8 (0 Final Four, Record of 0-4-0 GF:5 GA:15)

So in short we can say Plattsburgh was relevant (as far as contender goes) some 10 years ago now....I think that's all anyone was trying to say from point #1 on.... it's been A WHILE....

Your right this is not the same Plattsburgh team of the 90's early 2000's but have you stopped to ask yourself why other teams maintain the same level of play as they did back in the early 90's early 2000's? Teams have been able to maintain their level of play or close to it where Plattsburgh's has dropped of dramatically. Plattsburgh is heading down the same road as Middlebury did after they won so many championships which is the road to not being relevant. Plattsburgh hasn't had a 100 career point player since Satim and Clarke and haven't had a dominate goalie since Hince. Emery was once on of the best in D3 but he, like Plattsburgh, has fallen down the list.
              I have not put my finger on it. You're watching teams come out of no where getting grade A recruits, yet Plattsburgh gets stuck with ....well...anyways. Yes you can now pick kids up in the US Jr system where it use to be the OPJHL of bust, but even then Plattsburgh cant compete with other schools. It's not financial aide packages anymore. No Plattsburgh is NOT Boston, but neither is Hobart which plays in one of the worst DIII rinks around. The omens team (mind you its women's) has dominated DIII, yet the men struggle to be at the top of their conference. We've watched Geneseo soar past Plattsburgh. Buff State is right there, and Brockport is creeping. That's just in the conference. Is it Bob? Love Bob to death, but there comes a time when you can no longer connect with the players and kids of the generation. Is he getting the support he once got back in the 90's? Doubtful. I'm sorry but when I'm watching not 1, but 2 goalies from New York make the team (starters) something doesn't sit well. Yes NY has a few good eggs now and then, but why can Plattsburgh no longer pull in top notch recruits and fellow DIII schools and then more that are brand new can?? McCartney looks good, but we shall see.

Fact of the matter is, its been a LONG while since Plattsburgh has won a meaningful game post conference play. For a team that once prided itself on winning in the post season (NCAA time), it has settled for SUNYAC underdog (beat Oswego) titles as the highlight to a season. If Plattsburgh was as relevant as some want to believe, they wouldn't be losing out on recruits to start up programs or cellar dweller conference foes.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                While I'd love to agree, 1 of 30 foreign players vs 18 of 28...not even close. Now if Salve gave out 1 foreign aid scholarships to that one said foreign player, they would be close to that percentage...I mean case.......

Having said that I dont by the "beautiful Newport" argument either. A...these are 20 year old men.... beautiful sunsets, nice houses and artistic buildings are the last thing on their minds. Newport didn't just happen two years ago since Salve has been around (and dormant) for decades.

I DO think some $$$ has influenced a couple players, but I also think there is more beyond the scope of grants/aides going on...meaning the coach and more so the Universitys push to put a great program on the ice.

If they were stacked with Canadian players I'd agree, but they're not. I'd say they are more on par with a team out of Michigan. Now did they promise their incoming players they'd be going DI in a couple years like Adr....I mean yea, Salve has come a long ways....
                No similarity at all to that school near Philly. Money is also not the reason, Very good recruiting the past two years. The sophomore and Freshman classes are very good. 11 freshman in the line up in championship game.
                Rumor has it location was a big factor as well as a lot of players who knew each other and wanted to play with each other. I believe there was a concerted effort to put together a group that knew each other and wanted to play with one another. Expect another 5-6 good players coming in this year. JUST SAYING

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                  No similarity at all to that school near Philly. Money is also not the reason, Very good recruiting the past two years. The sophomore and Freshman classes are very good. 11 freshman in the line up in championship game.
                  Rumor has it location was a big factor as well as a lot of players who knew each other and wanted to play with each other. I believe there was a concerted effort to put together a group that knew each other and wanted to play with one another. Expect another 5-6 good players coming in this year. JUST SAYING
                  I have followed the discussion of how Salve improved overnight into a D3 powerhouse and the reasons why. But have any of the posters ever lived in Newport or the nearby area during the winter? I wasn't impressed with the cold/damp weather in the winter and didn't consider it a very attractive place. The bus to Boston and Providence were very popular on the weekend. Now 1, 2, and 3 beaches in the summer are a different story. So I have a hard time buying kids go to Newport because it is a party town like Boston.

I have been very impressed with Salve's recruiting in the NAHL which appears to be a trend for eastern schools. With the Northeast Generals in Attleboro it should be easy for D3 schools to check out the NAHL talent. But I would give 100% of the credit to the coach who has convinced players to come east and play in a high school rink a few miles away. And maybe Salve is offering better financial packages then temas like Norwich and the SUNY schools looking for the same players?
                  2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                  2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                    I have followed the discussion of how Salve improved overnight into a D3 powerhouse and the reasons why. But have any of the posters ever lived in Newport or the nearby area during the winter? I wasn't impressed with the cold/damp weather in the winter and didn't consider it a very attractive place. The bus to Boston and Providence were very popular on the weekend. Now 1, 2, and 3 beaches in the summer are a different story. So I have a hard time buying kids go to Newport because it is a party town like Boston.

I have been very impressed with Salve's recruiting in the NAHL which appears to be a trend for eastern schools. With the Northeast Generals in Attleboro it should be easy for D3 schools to check out the NAHL talent. But I would give 100% of the credit to the coach who has convinced players to come east and play in a high school rink a few miles away. And maybe Salve is offering better financial packages then temas like Norwich and the SUNY schools looking for the same players?
                    Newport is no different than Oswego, Norwich, Adrain, etc...during the winter but its August till October, and then again April and May. Hanging on the beaches and golfing. And downtown Newport is a very hot spot for the students all year long. It gets hopping, been there. Those busses are not popular to the athletes. Fin. Aid packages are no different. I believe as stated earlier its a belief to play with each other and be part of something new. I also hear the rink situation may be changing very soon!! I also totally agree with the quality of the recruits. NAHL players and above will make a difference.

Comment

Salve Recruiting Transcript

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                      ... downtown Newport is a very hot spot for the students all year long. It gets hopping, ... its a belief to play with each other and be part of something new. I also hear the rink situation may be changing very soon!!
                      Not that I don't believe you, so … you’re saying the recruiting conversations went something like this:

Coach: We’d like you to consider coming to Salve Regina
                      Recruit: Salve what?
                      Coach: Regina
                      Recruit: Isn’t that a Catholic school?
                      Coach: Yes, but the young women in the convent training program are very attractive.
                      Recruit: Wonderful, but I’m not Catholic, I’m __________________
                      Coach: No worries … Salve accepts all faiths, even no faith.
                      Recruit: Super. Isn’t Salve a member of the old ECAC/NE, historically the worst conference in D3?
                      Coach: Yes, but the MASCAC is now much worse than the NE ever was, and the newly formed teams are raising the profile of the league
                      Recruit: Super. What’s the campus like?
                      Coach: We’re right near the ocean in beautiful Rhode Island
                      Recruit: How many weeks during the school year is the ocean swimmable?
                      Coach: 6, unless you’re from Canada, then it’s 26
                      Recruit: Haven’t there been some recent devastating Nor’easters that effectively shut down the city?
                      Coach: Yes, but only a few, plus I modify practices on those days to weight (snow) lifting
                      Recruit: Is the rink on campus?
                      Coach: No, but it’s only 10 short miles from campus, with a nice bike trail between campus and rink
                      Recruit: Perfect. When are practices typically scheduled?
                      Coach: We have to work around the Abbey’s modified girls’ teams, so either 5 AM or 11 PM.
                      Recruit: Super, So I would need a car to get back and forth from practice?
                      Coach: No, the University owns a 1947 International School Bus for commuting. By any chance, do you have a Commercial Drivers License?
                      Recruit: No, but that’s a sweet ride! What do tuition, room, board and books run each year?
                      Coach: Only around $60K/year, but 98% of our students receive aid
                      Recruit: How much debt can I expect to have at the end of four years?
                      Coach: Only $100K, but we do offer debt counseling
                      Recruit: Super! What kind of grades do I need to have?
                      Coach: Our acceptance rate is over 70%, you’d need to be a bumbling idiot NOT to get accepted
                      Recruit: Great! What type of crowds does the team get?
                      Coach: There have been as many as 400, but you’ll get to play with your friends
                      Recruit: Great! But if I go to school in my home state, I’ll have only about half as much debt
                      Coach: That’s true, but here you can play with your friends
                      Recruit: Super! That’s what’s most important to me. Sign me up today.

From my experience … It has always been about the money, it is currently about the money, it will always be about the money, it has never not been about the money, and it will never not be about the money.

Comment

Why people are talking about weather with D3 hockey schools is absolutely mind-blowing. What schools have a good winter??? They're all NE & midwest. Like, is this seriously what we're doing here? Debating winters for d3 schools? Waste of time.

*This is the case for every NCAA hockey school except for what, ASU and Alabama-Huntsville?

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
                          Why people are talking about weather with D3 hockey schools is absolutely mind-blowing. What schools have a good winter??? They're all NE & midwest. Like, is this seriously what we're doing here? Debating winters for d3 schools? Waste of time.

*This is the case for every NCAA hockey school except for what, ASU and Alabama-Huntsville?
                          Kinda looks like thats what we're doing. Very astute observation on your part. 👏

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post

The only reason I referenced weather is because some posters have talked up Newport as a great place to live, go to school and is a big draw in recruiting. I lived in the Newport area 3+- years and didn't find the town had much to offer unless you have big $$$. Also noticed that the Attleboro NAHL team has a few players going to NEHC teams. So the eastern teams are indeed looking at the league for talent. Noticed that Babson and USM have players recruited from the Generals.
                            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

The only reason I referenced weather is because some posters have talked up Newport as a great place to live, go to school and is a big draw in recruiting. I lived in the Newport area 3+- years and didn't find the town had much to offer unless you have big $$$. Also noticed that the Attleboro NAHL team has a few players going to NEHC teams. So the eastern teams are indeed looking at the league for talent. Noticed that Babson and USM have players recruited from the Generals.
                              Salve’s football team holds spring ball practices ON THE BEACH. Literally. I’ve gotta believe their other sports are using the location to their advantage in some capacity.

Norwich didn’t lose those kids to Salve because of money. I don’t know why they chose Salve over Norwich, but I do know that wasn’t it.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                                Salve’s football team holds spring ball practices ON THE BEACH. Literally. I’ve gotta believe their other sports are using the location to their advantage in some capacity.

Norwich didn’t lose those kids to Salve because of money. I don’t know why they chose Salve over Norwich, but I do know that wasn’t it.
                                Are DIII schools allowed to have spring football practice? I don't recall that happening anywhere
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X