ECAC-West playoff format change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC-West playoff format change

There is a change in the format of the Division 3 ECAC- West playoff tournament. A full 8 teams will qualify, with the quarterfinals on Thursday, February 23 hosted by the top 4 seeds.
    Instead of the top 4 going to one site, the semifinals will be hosted by the top 2 remaining seeds on Sunday, February 26. The final will be Saturday, March 4 at the site of the highest remaining seed.

Re: ECAC-West playoff format change

So for one year (before the league dissolves) they're going to change the playoff format. The #7 (Neumann) and #8 (William Smith) teams are 3-12-2 so far this year. That should help the top two teams with their SOS.....
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
      So for one year (before the league dissolves) they're going to change the playoff format. The #7 (Neumann) and #8 (William Smith) teams are 3-12-2 so far this year. That should help the top two teams with their SOS.....
      Lol, agreed. What a joke this is. Hey on the other hand Chatham now has a legitimate chance of finally making the playoffs. They just need 3 points to pass William Smith for 8th place. Go Chatham!

Comment

They're really doing extra to try and knockoff Plattsburgh in the last year...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
          They're really doing extra to try and knockoff Plattsburgh in the last year...

Scott...Scott...Scott... I just have to hear your thought process as to why "they're" trying to knock off Plattsburgh.

Are you afraid that Chatham might get 3 points and the #8 seed. Then bus all the way to Platty and play you in the first round! It is hard to beat a team 3x in a season

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
            Scott...Scott...Scott... I just have to hear your thought process as to why "they're" trying to knock off Plattsburgh.

Are you afraid that Chatham might get 3 points and the #8 seed. Then bus all the way to Platty and play you in the first round! It is hard to beat a team 3x in a season
            It's not about fearing Chatham, Neumann or William Smith it's about the advantages the #1 seed loses in this format:

1) #1 and #2 seeds now have to play a quarterfinal losing the rest and recovery of the bye week.
            2) #2 [likely Elmira], assuming they knock off #7, seed now gets a semifinal at home, with home ice advantage.
            3) Winner of the semi now gets a full week of rest and enhanced preperation for the final.

This should make the tourney more competitive and fun to watch, especially for the #3 and #4 seed but to do it all of a sudden the last season before the conference as we know it falls apart definitely seems to have knocking the Cards off their perch for the final showdown of this incarnation of the ECAC West as a motivating factor. Both top seeds will be more prone to an upset if the mid seeds have extra rest will combat the depth disadvantage that gets compounded by the back to back of the weekend.

Comment

It's not about fearing Chatham, Neumann or William Smith it's about the advantages the #1 seed loses in this format:

1) #1 and #2 seeds now have to play a quarterfinal losing the rest and recovery of the bye week.
              2) #2 [likely Elmira], assuming they knock off #7, seed now gets a semifinal at home, with home ice advantage.
              3) Winner of the semi now gets a full week of rest and enhanced preperation for the final.

This should make the tourney more competitive and fun to watch, especially for the #3 and #4 seed but to do it all of a sudden the last season before the conference as we know it falls apart definitely seems to have knocking the Cards off their perch for the final showdown of this incarnation of the ECAC West as a motivating factor. Both top seeds will be more prone to an upset if the mid seeds have extra rest will combat the depth disadvantage that gets compounded by the back to back of the weekend.
              Waah, waah, waah! Poor Platty and Elmira. Do you hear yourself, seriously?! They've owned that conference for eternity. I still think they'll have no problem getting to the final again this year no matter the format. This is exciting for the rest of the teams and not just the two spoiled brats at the top, for a change. It's probably way overdue. I'm willing to bet the top two schools probably put the nix on this format for several years before now. Good luck to "the rest."

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time a conference has tried to **** Plattsburgh over.....
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Waah, waah, waah! Poor Platty and Elmira. Do you hear yourself, seriously?! They've owned that conference for eternity. I still think they'll have no problem getting to the final again this year no matter the format. This is exciting for the rest of the teams and not just the two spoiled brats at the top, for a change. It's probably way overdue. I'm willing to bet the top two schools probably put the nix on this format for several years before now. Good luck to "the rest."
                  I'm not crying about it, as you say they're going to be highly favored no matter the format. I'm calling it out because they're not doing this purely for the sake of adding two teams.

I hope the non #1 seeds make the most of the extra home games and time at home to prepare, because it should make for better hockey when the final comes around no matter who is in it.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    It wouldn't be the first time a conference has tried to **** Plattsburgh over.....
                    That would be the same conference only the men's side....but Plattsburgh prevailed....won the tourney...skated off...leaving the trophy on the ice...if I remember correctly

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      That would be the same conference only the men's side....but Plattsburgh prevailed....won the tourney...skated off...leaving the trophy on the ice...if I remember correctly
                      At Elmira.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        At Elmira.
                        Is there anywhere I can read about what happened?

And anyone hearing anything regarding the realignment for the SUNY schools left in the ECAC West?

Comment

Is there anywhere I can read about what happened?

And anyone hearing anything regarding the realignment for the SUNY schools left in the ECAC West?
                          Im sure it was in some newspapers back then. Wasn't it Jimmy Duran?
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Im sure it was in some newspapers back then. Wasn't it Jimmy Duran?
                            Thanks for the tip with the name. Was able to find the preview article and the game wrap from the 1992 issues of the Press Republican that shed light on the story.

Comment

Thanks for the tip with the name. Was able to find the preview article and the game wrap from the 1992 issues of the Press Republican that shed light on the story.
                              http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lcc...-1/seq-14/png/

Yea I like that one too....it was also known as the "Triple Crown" (if you ever see the old hats)

....and then just a few days later we had this

http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lcc...-1/seq-13/png/

The Ashe jersey is still in my family's possession...
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                              X