• Show
Clear All

Re: Final Four Moving Back to Campus Sites

Everything is better in Lake Placid
    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't read the NCAA change as a combining of the events, but rather that they want similar playoff structure( longer playoffs) and coinciding dates? I read nowhere that the evnts would be at the same location. Did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by daveo211 View Post
        Am I the only one who doesn't read the NCAA change as a combining of the events, but rather that they want similar playoff structure( longer playoffs) and coinciding dates? I read nowhere that the evnts would be at the same location. Did I miss it?
        I am sure Norm has a link for that...
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by daveo211 View Post
          While your inferences could possibly be drawn from one of Norm's quotes,

Championship Date Formula Change. The committee accepted as information that the men’s ice hockey committee anticipates requesting a championship date formula change to facilitate a joint championship format with Division I men’s ice hockey in 2015.
          his other one,

Division III Men’s Ice Hockey – Term Extension Request. The men’s ice hockey committee requested that the term of Bruce Delventhal, director of athletics at Plattsburgh State University of New York, be extended for one year. Mr. Delventhal is the chair of the committee, and the committee indicated that allowing him to serve until September 1, 2012, would greatly help to facilitate the process of combining the Division III championship with the Division I championship. The NCAA Division III Nominating Committee supported this request.
          is pretty cut-and-dry about this. Plus, what possible reason could there be to sync the dates besides a joint site?
          Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
          A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
          A Handful of ECAC West Championships
          A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
          Some National Championships:
          Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
          Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
            IMO, combining the men's championships to one location will potentially do more to harm the sport than any other event.

There are two main points to consider (again, this is just MY opinion).

1-Increase in costs Ok, the obvious one is flying four teams to the site, instead of (usually) one. There might be some economy of scale for rooms, meals, etc, but probably not enough to offset the flights. A secondary cost is having schools maintain ice for several weeks longer, which also will occur in months that are getting increasing warmer. For some schools, that may not be as much of a factor, but for any schools already on a shoestring, it may cause re-examination of supporting the sport.

Which brings me to

2-Decrease in teams Again, perhaps not immediately apparent, but there would exist the possibility that the NESCAC schools opt out due to the late end date. (Please note, this is not intended as a commentary on their choices of length of season, etc. They are well within their rights to decide that on their own.) If they did decide not to participate in the national tournament, they likey would follow the same path as NESCAC football. The loss of ten teams to the total teams may change the number of tournament bids to 9.

Another side effect, although possibly more western DIII fans would attend, far less eastern fans would go. Result, noticeably fewer DIII fans.

In any case, it seems that this proposal is far more likely to SHRINK Division III hockey than enhance it, and is a mistake.

One other opinion, I am not convinced that the DIII ice hockey committee had much of a say in this, other than the NCAA mandated they come up with a plan.

One more time, ALL of the above statements represent my personal opinion only.
            Agree with your points.
            For example, how many D-3 fans would make the trip to Florida this year for the D-1 FF, if it were the combined format??
            As my group was traveling back to De Pere from LP yesterday, we all really liked the idea of holding the men/women FF at the same venue.
            SNC Men:
            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
            SNC Women:
            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
              As my group was traveling back to De Pere from LP yesterday, we all really liked the idea of holding the men/women FF at the same venue.
              I haven't talked to ONE single FAN yet that doesn't like the idea of combining the men's and women's.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                I haven't talked to ONE single FAN yet that doesn't like the idea of combining the men's and women's.
                I think it's a great idea. They could do what they do at many of the Grand Slam tennis tournaments. Women's semis on Friday, Men's semis and the women's final on Saturday, Men's final on Sunday. I think it would expose a lot of people to women's hockey.

Comment

IMO, combining the men's championships to one location will potentially do more to harm the sport than any other event.

There are two main points to consider (again, this is just MY opinion).

1-Increase in costs Ok, the obvious one is flying four teams to the site, instead of (usually) one. There might be some economy of scale for rooms, meals, etc, but probably not enough to offset the flights. A secondary cost is having schools maintain ice for several weeks longer, which also will occur in months that are getting increasing warmer. For some schools, that may not be as much of a factor, but for any schools already on a shoestring, it may cause re-examination of supporting the sport.

Which brings me to

2-Decrease in teams Again, perhaps not immediately apparent, but there would exist the possibility that the NESCAC schools opt out due to the late end date. (Please note, this is not intended as a commentary on their choices of length of season, etc. They are well within their rights to decide that on their own.) If they did decide not to participate in the national tournament, they likey would follow the same path as NESCAC football. The loss of ten teams to the total teams may change the number of tournament bids to 9.

Another side effect, although possibly more western DIII fans would attend, far less eastern fans would go. Result, noticeably fewer DIII fans.

In any case, it seems that this proposal is far more likely to SHRINK Division III hockey than enhance it, and is a mistake.

One other opinion, I am not convinced that the DIII ice hockey committee had much of a say in this, other than the NCAA mandated they come up with a plan.

One more time, ALL of the above statements represent my personal opinion only.
                  First let me note, I am only the messenger - I totally agree with your assessments above.

That said, I believe the egotists that are getting this done, as I have noted before, are going to push the fact there is a lot of potential for sponsorship be professional markets. I believe that their rational is to boost the "value added" to the professional markets but including the DIII component. Note that while the fan base of DI is substantially larger than DIII, there is nevertheless a very large number of DIII stakeholders, the purpose behind sponsorship is “marketing exposure”. The recent successful outdoors, non-championship contest held in professional venues (such as the Norwich game in Fenway), can be used to extrapolate marketing potential. There is little chance that the combination of the DI & DIII championships would reduce the revenue generated by the DI championships, and as we all deduce, the DIII championships really do not generate a positive cash flow. That said, if the value added to the market exposure is enough to sway potential professional market sponsorship they will have accompli$hed their “objectives”. Below are some examples of non-Championship scenarios being offered in the NCAA document - Professional Sports Organizations Sponsorship of Intercollegiate Competition Events.

Example No. 1 - The Boston Bruins may financially sponsor the Beanpot Hockey Tournament, but not serve as a sponsor (financial or identifiable) of Boston University, Boston College, Harvard University or Northeastern University.

Example No. 2 - The Minnesota Twins may financially sponsor an ice hockey game between the University of St. Thomas (Minnesota) and Macalester College, but it may not sponsor (financial or identifiable) either institution.
                  There is also this contained in the cited document:

Options to Consider

1. Sponsor legislation for the 2011-12 legislative cycle to specify that a professional sports organization:

a. May serve as a financial sponsor of an intercollegiate competition event (e.g., regular season, conference championship, NCAA championship, other postseason competition), provided the organization is not publicly identified as such; and

b. May serve as a financial sponsor of an activity or promotion that is ancillary to the competition event and may be publicly identified as such.

2. Same as Option No. 1, but limit it only to NCAA championships.

3. Same as Option No. 1, but limited it only to NCAA championships and conference championships.

4. Do nothing and maintain the current legislation which restricts a professional sports organization from serving as a sponsor for an intercollegiate event and NCAA championships.
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                    ....The recent successful outdoors, non-championship contest held in professional venues (such as the Norwich game in Fenway), can be used to extrapolate marketing potential....
                    I am not sure how Babson covered their share of the expense of that event (it was a pay-to-play, for profit deal), but I believe much (most) of the Norwich side was covered by the alumni base. In my opinon, this was primarily due to the "once in a lifetime" appeal of the event, as well as it being held in an area with a large alumni population.

Judging from the number of participants in similar outdoor events, I think it would be a mistake to assume that level of contribution every year.

Then again, we are talking of an organization that decided that "Fighting Sioux" was objectionable, while allowing a non-aboriginal in painted gear on a horse to hurl a flaming spear to the turf at home football games.
                    Go 'Wick!

Comment

I am not sure how Babson covered their share of the expense of that event (it was a pay-to-play, for profit deal), but I believe much (most) of the Norwich side was covered by the alumni base. In my opinon, this was primarily due to the "once in a lifetime" appeal of the event, as well as it being held in an area with a large alumni population.

Judging from the number of participants in similar outdoor events, I think it would be a mistake to assume that level of contribution every year.

Then again, we are talking of an organization that decided that "Fighting Sioux" was objectionable, while allowing a non-aboriginal in painted gear on a horse to hurl a flaming spear to the turf at home football games.
                      I understand - and agree with your comment "I think it would be a mistake to assume that level of contribution every year.” but that said, if the point is to promote a "Field of Dreams" (i.e. 'If you build it, they will come'), then you can extrapolate what you want from it (i.e. Figures don't lie, but liars figure).

I do believe there are significant marketing potential, synergies and economies of scale to warrant a successful combination* of the DI & DIII championships, BUT I am not convinced they have the competencies to accomplish it. That said, most professional sports organizations DO have the competencies (i.e. they tend not solicit “volunteers” or to assign/hire from within when it does not make economical and sound business sense.) The potential to succeed is there, the probably of failure, however, is where I would currently steak my wager.

*by "successful", I do mean in more than just the dollars & cents to the NC$$ - BUT ...
                      Last edited by norm1909; 03-19-2012, 05:01 PM.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                        But maybe they could return the Frozen Four $kills Challenge
                        ...This reminds me Norm - when Neil Musselwhite appeared in the skills contest, he did it without any ice to practice on....all the ice in Oswego, including the Campus Center, was gone by the time the team returned from the tournament....cost of keeping ice down and cold was mentioned elsewhere...

Having said that, it didn't hurt Neil in the least... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ion-in-detroit
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I think combining the men's and women's events is a great idea.

I also like the thought of moving the men's event back to campus locations, but I think the venues would have to be pre-determined and I'm not sure that many would be suitable. Rinks I could see hosting: Oswego, Platt, Norwich, Midd, Elmira (haven't seen their facility, but I know they've hosted before), Superior, St. Johns, and maybe SNC. I know both MSOE and Adrian are new and modern, but I'm not sure they have enough seating capacity. Any other nice facilities out there that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                            I think combining the men's and women's events is a great idea.

I also like the thought of moving the men's event back to campus locations, but I think the venues would have to be pre-determined and I'm not sure that many would be suitable. Rinks I could see hosting: Oswego, Platt, Norwich, Midd, Elmira (haven't seen their facility, but I know they've hosted before), Superior, St. Johns, and maybe SNC. I know both MSOE and Adrian are new and modern, but I'm not sure they have enough seating capacity. Any other nice facilities out there that would work?
                            Waaaaaayyyy to small. There isnt a rink around DIII (east) that can handle the size the FFs have become except maybe Utica.
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              Waaaaaayyyy to small. There isnt a rink around DIII (east) that can handle the size the FFs have become except maybe Utica.
                              I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the requirement to host a championship is a rink with at least 3000 seats.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about Utica.

Wasn't there just about 3500 people attending at LP in a venue with basically bottomless seating for D3 hockey? I think playing in front of 2500 people in a packed house with a hot ticket would create a pretty cool environment too.

If we're talking about seating 3000 minimum, that pretty much would only leave Superior and St. Johns in the western region.

Comment

Working...
                                X