Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming to Duluth??

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
    Also downtown is Hanabi- great Sushi joint. I know, Sushi... in Duluth? It's super though.
    Sushi smelt? Yummm!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Lutefisk sushi.

Comment

Blackbeard-- I'm totally drawing a blank on the place up the shore... I can't even... you're not talking about Betty's Pies, are you? Totally overrated IMO.
        I think that's the place...I knew it had a woman's name in it. Looked interesting though...reminded me of a place we had here years ago called Suzy-Q's...right out of the 50's. Anyway, thanks for the warning/redirect.

Comment

Grandma's is gross.
          ... you're not talking about Betty's Pies, are you? Totally overrated IMO.
          My opinion of both of these places was formed more than 30 years ago, so I'm going to view them with a bit more nostalgia than you. In those days, the places that you recommend didn't exist, and the competition has in many cases long since gone out of business.

Thanks to the good folks of Duluth for providing better weather this week than was available for the WCHA tourney, when it started snowing every time I tried to set tire on your streets. Much appreciated.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            My opinion of both of these places was formed more than 30 years ago, so I'm going to view them with a bit more nostalgia than you. In those days, the places that you recommend didn't exist, and the competition has in many cases long since gone out of business
            Just trying to provide some not so tourist-trap options to give out-of-towners a more diverse flavor of Duluth. I only have 20 years of nostalgia, and the fact that I live here. Grandma's is right off the Sysco truck. Open the can, heat, serve. Do I frequent there for a beer? Absolutely. When Grandmas campaign in the late fall is "They've all gone home, you can come back" (meaning the 612'ers) that says something about their business model. I love the local flavor and will always promote it because I'm proud of where I live. Handcrafted beer from the "Swedish Mafia" that owns The Brewhouse, Burrito Union, and now Tycoons are just one of the things I love about this town. I want to share it and encourage people to think elsewhere. Hell, I'd even go as so far to say that you will have a better beer and a helluva laugh if you saunter over to the Saratoga. Duluth's strip bar in Canal Park. Where the "dancers" are sometimes pregnant or sporting a knee brace (no-lie). And on Wednesdays... or something, you can go listen to great jazz (minus the dancers). Try A Scandinavian eatery right across from the Electric Fetus and next to Pizza Luce? Beauty. This town is much more than Grandmas.
            Last edited by skatefast; 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

For Friday . . . looks like a few of us will be meeting at Grandma's Restaurant around 3:00. I plan on buying a round for anyone that shows!! I'll be getting there - probably closer to 3:30 with my favorite UMD sweatshirt on!!! Looking forward to it, and to some great FF hockey.

Comment

This town is much more than Grandmas.
                Understood. The requirements of a local in a restaurant are much different than those of somebody like me who is just looking for a burger and fries once every other year or so and whose primary concern is getting in and out so I can get to the arena.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Understood. The requirements of a local in a restaurant are much different than those of somebody like me who is just looking for a burger and fries once every other year or so and whose primary concern is getting in and out so I can get to the arena.
                  Plus I will add that the name of this thread is "Coming to Duluth?" And not "Staying in Duluth?" If I was doing the latter, I might be tempted in checking out other eateries.
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Plus I will add that the name of this thread is "Coming to Duluth?" And not "Staying in Duluth?" If I was doing the latter, I might be tempted in checking out other eateries.

Comment

Blackbeard, you might be looking for "Betty's Pies". At least that was there when we visited Gooseberry Falls a few years back. Also the Anchor Bar is worth the trip - great prices, great local color. Just don't ask for a salad as they frown on that kind of food. A platter of bacon (crispy) is more of what you will see people order. Also fries are great there.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                        You're kidding me, right?

SO VERY SORRY I GOT THE SYNTAX WRONG. I will never promote local eateries in town again.

Comment

You're kidding me, right?

SO VERY SORRY I GOT THE SYNTAX WRONG. I will never promote local eateries in town again.
                          Yesterday: Came to Duluth, saw Gophers win , returned to Twin Cities.

Tomorrow: will drive to Duluth, watch title game, return to Twin Cities.

Given the 2 1/2 hour drive time each way, there not much time to go check out places to eat.

Comment

Given the 2 1/2 hour drive time each way, there not much time to go check out places to eat.
                            Just wait until you get to Amsoil to eat. You could start your own annual Frozen Four arena food review blog or something.

Comment

Yesterday: Came to Duluth, saw Gophers win , returned to Twin Cities.

Tomorrow: will drive to Duluth, watch title game, return to Twin Cities.

Well, given that gas is at $3.65 a gallon and it is a 300 mile round trip, I hazard you could have stayed at the Motel 6 for two nights and dined at one of Duluth's finer establishments on multiple occasions and NOT spent as much money as you would have on gas. Plus, your carbon footprint would have been considerably smaller!

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                                Just wait until you get to Amsoil to eat. You could start your own annual Frozen Four arena food review blog or something.
                                Actually the pizza is pretty good. A little pricy -- but then again, what arena food isn't -- but pretty good. And they're only charge $2 for a bottle of water (compared to $3.50 or $4.00 at Ridder), which I can then refill at a drinking fountain.

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                                Well, given that gas is at $3.65 a gallon and it is a 300 mile round trip, I hazard you could have stayed at the Motel 6 for two nights and dined at one of Duluth's finer establishments on multiple occasions and NOT spent as much money as you would have on gas. Plus, your carbon footprint would have been considerably smaller!
                                300 miles for the extra trip = 1 tank of gas = $40. Plus I'm sleeping in my own bed and not paying for extra meals out (my only stops in either direction were rest areas). I think I'm coming out ahead on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X