Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming to Duluth??

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
    ... Haven't spent too many St. Patty's Days out of the Boston area. Should we expect (avoid!) the same craziness?
    Ah Ha. Now we know why you are heading out of town. . Is the big fella not a Shamrock man ?.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Ah Ha. Now we know why you are heading out of town. . Is the big fella not a Shamrock man ?.
      Maybe not as Irish as I am, but a Shamrock for sure
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

DC78 - I Finally get to buy you one . . . either Friday at Grandma's (I'll definitely be there!) or Saturday or any other day you want to do it!! Or, both!!!???

Grandma's is a good choice for pre-game. There's a fairly new, nice Irish pub downtown called Dubh Linn (http://www.dubhlinnpub.com/) downtown that would be good for a Saturday thing or post game. Also has skywalk access to the arena! But, who'll need the skyway when it's going to be almost 70!!??

It will finally be nice to put real faces to some of you!

Comment

I'll be there, but probably not until mid-afternoon Friday. This will be the first year I see both the men's and women's Frozen Four!

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I don't know that the Sports Garden is even open at 3; it looks like 4 according to this. I meant the original Grandma's Saloon & Grill in Canal Park. So that's where I'll go, because I don't have an hour to wait for them to open.
            Oh... yeah... that would be a problem. The original it is.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Another interesting place/bar to check out that's new in Duluth . . .

http://mobile.duluthnewstribune.com/...icle/id/225643

Comment

I have recently had the Anchor Bar in Superior recommended to me.

Apparently it was featured on the Food Network.

I would be interested in comments and/or recommendations from any of the local folk.
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                  I have recently had the Anchor Bar in Superior recommended to me.

Apparently it was featured on the Food Network.

I would be interested in comments and/or recommendations from any of the local folk.
                  Excellent...especially if you like very unpretentious places. It was featured on Drive Ins Diners and Dives.

Upon asking the barmaid/server (depending upon whether or not you're into political correctness) what was good, a regular who was sitting beside me recommended the Anchor Supreme (for a rookie) telling me I couldn't go wrong with that choice and after that I could work my way up or down the menu as I gained experience. Sort of like working your way into the big leagues.

Loved the burger and thanked him for his neighbourly help when I was done...so, I'd recommend the same...but there's lots of interesting choices...not as many as the burger joint in Boston, or more correctly, Cambridge, Mass., the name of which I can't remember, but extensive enough.

Check out this info and click on their website for the menu. Warning, small place and almost jammed to the rafters when I was there, which was around 4:30-5:30 as I recall, on a Friday.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/anchor-bar-and-grill.aspx

Comment

The Anchor is the only place you can go with a group of 10 and get out of there for about $50. For real. Love that place.

I highly recommend the Duluth Grill in the west end of town off the 27th ave WEST exit on I-35.

Comment

Does anyone have recommendations for a place to go in downtown Duluth? Is Canal Park about it? (I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express for the Final Face Off and was profoundly unimpressed with the sports bar within.) My goal is to park the car when I arrive in town on Friday and then not touch it again until it's time to drive home Sunday night.

And please don't suggest Grandma's. I thought the one here in Minneapolis was terrible before it closed down, so the brand has alienated me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        Does anyone have recommendations for a place to go in downtown Duluth? Is Canal Park about it? (I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express for the Final Face Off and was profoundly unimpressed with the sports bar within.) My goal is to park the car when I arrive in town on Friday and then not touch it again until it's time to drive home Sunday night.

And please don't suggest Grandma's. I thought the one here in Minneapolis was terrible before it closed down, so the brand has alienated me.
                        Grandma's is gross. I'm with you, Eeyore. There's a ton of hotels in Canal Park that are nice. The Suites is funky in an old warehouse that's above the Red Lobster. But any of the hotels in CP will allow you to pop over to the DECC/ Amsoil. You'll have to get a little investigative if you walk into the old DECC to try to find the new arena but you'll make it. Canal Park has Old Chicago and The Green Mill. The bar in the Green Mill is pretty great, despite it being a MN chain. OC isn't too bad, either. Better than G-ma's anyway.

The Holiday Inn and Raddison are in "downtown" and connected to the skywalk system that will take you over the interstate to Amsoil. There's also a new Sheraton downtown that's by some nice places to eat- Pizza Luce (has a separate bar) and Carmodys' (a REAL Irish Pub). And since the weather is fantastic, you could walk two blocks up to Fitgers complex and stop in to the Brewhouse for a delicious beer. Fitgers also has a hotel in it and while you could walk to Amsoil, it would be a workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post

As I noted earlier there's a very nice Irish Pub now located a block from the Holiday center called Dubh Linn (http://www.dubhlinnpub.com/). Good food, lots of elbow room and beer selections. Very walkable if you're staying in Canal Park (over the bridge, take a left and two blocks you're there!)

You could probably also get a lot of people out for very little $$$$ at Gronk's - which is also in Superior - more on the Eastern Edge . . . follow HWY 2/53 and you can't miss it. Great, great burgers (some say better than Anchor) and much cleaner!!!!!
                          Last edited by binnyrus; 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
                            The Anchor is the only place you can go with a group of 10 and get out of there for about $50. For real. Love that place.

I highly recommend the Duluth Grill in the west end of town off the 27th ave WEST exit on I-35.
                            Skate, what about that blue and white burger place on the north side of the highway on the way to Gooseberry Falls? I can't remember the name of the place...stopped in once to take a look...50's theme. Any experience with it? Any good?

Also, Big Daddy's...any experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Skate, what about that blue and white burger place on the north side of the highway on the way to Gooseberry Falls? I can't remember the name of the place...stopped in once to take a look...50's theme. Any experience with it? Any good?

Also, Big Daddy's...any experience?
                              Big Daddy's is okay . . . sort of out of the way . . . but then, so is Superior!! LOL!!! No alcohol there . . .

Comment

But Binny- the filth and inhospitable nature of The Anchor is part of it's charm... or something. Sorta like some teams I know...

Blackbeard-- I'm totally drawing a blank on the place up the shore... I can't even... you're not talking about Betty's Pies, are you? Totally overrated IMO.

Also downtown next to Pizza Luce-- Taak for Maten. (Thanks for Food) A Scandinavian place with good food. Like Ikea but not a cafeteria.

Also downtown is Hanabi- great Sushi joint. I know, Sushi... in Duluth? It's super though.
                                Last edited by skatefast; 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X