Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure the match-ups are predetermined, regardless of the results. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.....

Correct. In the past there was an actual tournament, how the past few years the match ups have been predetermined. I agree with the sentiment that an actual tournament is the better route, but c'est la vie.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Maybe the school wanted to make sure UVM played in the late game both nights, I agree it seems less like a tourney this way
      but it at least lets you know when you are going to play.

Crappy thing is it makes ties allowable.
      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

A small side note in the BFP article on the World Championship and Burlington hosting again in the future :

"When asked what he would like to see changed if Burlington were to play host again, Ogrean said he’d like to see a new rink at UVM and other countries close the competitive gap Canada and the United States have established.

Chris McCabe, UVM assistant vice president of marketing and business development, said there’s been progress in plans to build a new arena at UVM.

“We are a lot closer than we were a year ago,” McCabe said. “Because we are talking about it so publicly should be an indication of how close we are getting. We are not making any announcements this weekend, but I think you can bet to see some progress reports in the coming months.”

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          “We are a lot closer than we were a year ago,” McCabe said. “Because we are talking about it so publicly should be an indication of how close we are getting. We are not making any announcements this weekend, but I think you can bet to see some progress reports in the coming months.”
          Hmmm, that sort of optimism seems difficult to reconcile with the report that was in the VT Cynic saying the new rink was 9th on the list of university building projects. But, this does sound very positive and I hope we do hear more about it in the coming months. Again, though, I'm not holding my breath--I remember discussions of a new rink when I was a student at UVM in the mid/late 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            A small side note in the BFP article on the World Championship and Burlington hosting again in the future :

"When asked what he would like to see changed if Burlington were to play host again, Ogrean said he’d like to see a new rink at UVM and other countries close the competitive gap Canada and the United States have established.

Chris McCabe, UVM assistant vice president of marketing and business development, said there’s been progress in plans to build a new arena at UVM.

Spoke with several high ranking officials while at the Worlds this past week and was told that UVM is "expecting to break ground sometime next year on a 6500 seat arena adjacent to Gutterson" with the intent on hosting the Worlds again in 2017 and/or possibly a women's Frozen Four as well. Expect to see a heavy push on fundraising towards the building in the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Spoke with several high ranking officials while at the Worlds this past week and was told that UVM is "expecting to break ground sometime next year on a 6500 seat arena adjacent to Gutterson" with the intent on hosting the Worlds again in 2017 and/or possibly a women's Frozen Four as well. Expect to see a heavy push on fundraising towards the building in the next few months.
              Wow, if true, this would be cool. 6500 seats sounds about right. Maybe just a wee bit high for UVM hockey, but I can understand wanting more and not less, if they're going to commit to doing it. You don't want to outgrow it in 10 years, and if it's going to be used for other events, 6500 makes sense. I hope they do it right and give it some real character. Based on the new buildings that have appeared on campus recently, that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

It is important to understand the value of out of conference matchups and pairwise ratings... As the host, the Cats have a great opportunity to add value to their OOC rankings if they play certain teams. In contrast, in a regular tournament, the second game may come as a risk and not add any value to their rankings if an upset occurs in the other 1st round game. Remember how UVM made it to the NCAA's.. Its all about strength of schedule... I believe this may be why the tournament has changed...

Comment

Originally posted by oGstaCoG View Post
                  It is important to understand the value of out of conference matchups and pairwise ratings... As the host, the Cats have a great opportunity to add value to their OOC rankings if they play certain teams. In contrast, in a regular tournament, the second game may come as a risk and not add any value to their rankings if an upset occurs in the other 1st round game. Remember how UVM made it to the NCAA's.. Its all about strength of schedule... I believe this may be why the tournament has changed...
                  Yeah, I think you're right about this, which makes it surprising that they would schedule Princeton as their opponent in Game 2, instead of SCSU. Are they throwing a bone to one of their old ECAC foes?

Comment

Originally posted by oGstaCoG View Post
                    Maybe, but it's not really great odds that the teams that have been scheduled are even ranked. I've seen plenty of years where it hasn't made a difference... The fact is it's nearly always two ECAC teams and one mid level team from out west. It's not as if the Cats are bringing in Minny or UND so its really a crap shoot the team will be ranked. It's unlikely for both ECAC teams to be ranked. I'm sure your line of thought contributes but I am thinking there are other reasons ...

Comment

FYI - Girgensons update:

GIRGENSONS OUT FOR SEASON WITH INJURY
                      Fighting Saints captain will have his fractured jaw wired shut for four weeks

April 19, 2012

DUBUQUE, Iowa – The Fighting Saints announced Thursday that forward and captain Zemgus Girgensons will miss the remainder of the season with a fractured jaw. Girgensons suffered the injury in his first shift of the first period of Tuesday’s win over Team USA. He continued to play in the game, even assisting on a goal, until he could no longer tolerate the pain, exiting the game after the second period. His jaw will be wired shut for a minimum of four weeks, and the recovery process will prevent him from playing in the remainder of the Clark Cup Playoffs. He is expected to make a full recovery in the offseason.

The Fighting Saints will open the Eastern Conference Semifinals in Indiana against the Ice tomorrow, playing Game 2 on the road on Saturday. The series will return to Dubuque for Game 3 on Wednesday, April 25, and Game 4, if necessary, on Friday, April 27. Game 5, if necessary, would be played in Indiana on Saturday, April 28.
                      According to twitter, he's had a tough season with injuries.
                      Andrew Weiss‏@WeissFC
                      Like many top draft eligibles, Zemgus Girgensons struggled w/ injuries all year.Hip injury in Jan., ankle injury in March, fractured jaw now

Comment

Yeah, I heard about the fractured jaw. Better the jaw then a knee, shoulder, achilles, etc. Can't imagine he won't be able to make a full recovery during the off-season. Hopefully he'll get this out of his system and be injury free all of next season.

Comment

Vermont Game Worn Jersey Including Stalberg Nameplate For Sale

I have available for sale a game worn jersey from the University of Vermont Catamounts. The price is $275 including shipping within the US. To the best of my knowledge, this jersey was NOT worn by Chicago Blackhawks and Catamounts standout Viktor Stalberg. I purchased this jersey directly from Vermont on the hopes that it might be a Stalberg jersey. (The team removes all the names and they don't state who wore the jersey when it is sold, only the jersey number to comply with NCAA regs.)However upon close up inspection and some research I have concluded that it was not worn by him. It is however a game worn Catamounts jersey, and to the best of my knowledge was worn by Albertson. I was also able to obtain from the University a game used Stalberg nameplate which is included loose with this jersey.

Again, in my opinion I do not believe this to be a game worn jersey of Stalberg, but the combination of the game worn Albertson jersey and the Stalberg nameplate would make a nice jersey for a Blackhawks or Vermont fan and their jersey collection. If you just want a "cool" authentic game worn jersey jersey you can attach the nameplate, or if you want it to be authentic/accurate you can leave it off.

Click on the images below to view larger versions in a new window. You can also email me (info@johnsonsjerseys.net) if you would like additional photos or if you have further questions. I would also be willing to entertain trade offers for the jersey as well. I prefer other game worn jerseys of D-I mens college hockey programs. Thanks for viewing and good luck! I have hundreds of others at my web site (www.johnsonsjerseys.net) and some other Vermont jersey styles as well.

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Re: Vermont Game Worn Jersey Including Stalberg Nameplate For Sale

Not to be a downer, but it surprises me that UVM would provide an actual nameplate. NCAA rules prohibit having names on the backs of GU jerseys, and just "giving out" such a banned item is just odd. I do love the Green Mountain Boys flag though! Lots of people on here close to the team, they could verify I believe.
                            Last edited by Martin St. Louis Fan; 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Re: Vermont Game Worn Jersey Including Stalberg Nameplate For Sale

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                              NCAA rules prohibit having names on the backs of GU jerseys, and just "giving out" such a banned item is just odd.
                              It is true that there are policies about names on backs of jerseys and the team "profiting" from the use of a player's name, but it not true that having a nameplate or a jersey with a name is banned. Just look on Ebay some day - the NCAA would have to shut down every D-I program in America. I have owned roughly 1000 D-I hockey jerseys over the years and at least one from every team and most of them had names on them (unless they never had one when used by the team).
                              I can tell you from first hand experiance that teams do sell jerseys with names attached or loose in a variety of ways all the time. I've purchased entire sets of jerseys with names on back over the years. Some teams are very strict about this policy, some bend the rules, some get creative with how they do it, and some just don't care at all. As an example, North Dakota sells every single jersey with the original name still on the back. Their creative way around the policy is that they don't sell the jersey until after the player leaves UND. Minnesota used to rip all the names of the back for their sales. You bought the jersey at one table and they you could go to another table and buy the nameplate. Michigan strips all the names off their jerseys, but then you can contact the team that does the lettering and not only can you get the name back, but they'll put it back on for you as well.
                              To say the least, it is a policy with more grey area than black and white. If you would like a more specific example here is one from Vermont currently on Ebay:
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Worn-Un...-/110865091379
                              Ryan J

Comment

At the root of the issue, what the NCAA is really trying to prevent is the school selling a rack full of Zemgus Girgensons jerseys and making a profit likely because his name is on the jersey. Some schools do sell jerseys on campus that contain the number of their star player but you'll never see a name on them when sold in this manner.

With what it costs to buy a game-weight jersey and get it lettered, there are very few schools that could "profit" from doing this. Yes, there are exceptions - UND for example sold about a dozen jerseys online about a month back - they all went in the range of $800 - $1200 each. Most schools however are just happy to get paid anything for stuff they have to get rid of and replace out of necessity because it is worn out.

Here is a link from the last few months of Ebay. Jerseys with names on the back from nearly every Hockey East program: Boston Univ, Boston College, Providence, Merrimack, Vermont (Frozen Four patched), Northeastern, U-Mass Lowell, U-Mass Amherst, New Hampshire...
                                http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc

They may not always be this easy to find, but with the right connections you can find almost anything. Last summer I was offered one of Tim Thomas' college goalie masks (private party, not the school). I won't disclose the offering price here, but it was well beyond four figures left of the decimal point and with TT having just won the cup I'm sure the seller got his asking price from someone.

Ryan J
                                Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X