Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Kyle Reynolds was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team for the 2011-2012 season. Check it out:
    http://uvmathletics.com/news/2012/3/...314123409.aspx

He obviously deserved it and with continued development could become one of UVM's most prolific goal scorers. Congrats to Kyle.

Comment

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

FWIW, it is official now, Stalberg's gone. http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|SJS|home

Man, those UVM throw-back jerseys are cool! I hope they plan to wear them again. Better yet, I'd like to see them become the team's standard away jersey.

Comment

That's rough, really could have used him to help along all the soon to be sophmore forwards another year. It made a young team a little younger. I guess the bright side will be McCarthy will be back on the ice.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Lets look on the bright side, we have returning :

Lenz, White, Reynolds, Brickley, McCarthy, Decenzo, Markinson, Montagna, Roos and with Girgenson that's three pretty decent lines. And, with Albertson, and the incoming Frosh, there should be good solid competition for a spot in the line-up.

Franzon to lead a huge of young defensment... that gained a ton of experiece this year.

The biggest hole really is goaltending. Gawd I pray Sneddon pulled in a stud goaltending prospect.

All of that however is meaningless unless this team gels quickly and gets back to playing full steam 100% of the time. Playing hard working, out checking, shot blocking hockey. That's Sneddon's job. We will see how he does.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

the new forward recruit looks like a good one but losing Stalburg is brutal. I think it takes them down a significant notch in potential for next season losing a likely top 6 HE forward out of the mix. Offensive depth has been a shortcoming and this makes improvement tougher. Although they are they are still likely to be considerably better than this past season (not a high bar there).

overall a significant net loss but I do like the recruit

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post

Man, those UVM throw-back jerseys are cool! I hope they plan to wear them again. Better yet, I'd like to see them become the team's standard away jersey.
              I agree. Those green and what is it beige away uniforms are terrible!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                Yeah, I am a HUGE Kevin Sneddon fan, but this trend has to hurt. Especially since he was not drafted.
                If he does not turn things around this next season I think he could be done.

Comment

(Just as an aside...)

Very nice hoops squad you have there, yet again.

If Vermont plays as perfectly as they did tonight vs. Lamar in the next round, it's gonna be a ball game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    (Just as an aside...)

Very nice hoops squad you have there, yet again.

If Vermont plays as perfectly as they did tonight vs. Lamar in the next round, it's gonna be a ball game.
                    Yeah, that was cool. I was a little surprised by how easily they won. They really played an almost perfect game. 1 turnover in the second half--tough to beat that. I just hope they can keep things close against the Heels.

Comment

I think Vermont committed something like 5 TOs for the game (!) Coaching and discipline...

Say they shoot 58% and take care of the ball, they could could shatter many a bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Ball of Hate View Post
                        Players leaving early for the pros is just part of the deal in college hockey. The key is to have high level recruits ready to step in and take their place. Look at BC as an example. Every year they seem to lose a guy or two to the pros and it doesn't slow them down because they are bringing in talented recruits to take their place.

I'd love to see UVM succeed with American kids, but Quebec is a gold mine. For a Quebec kid UVM has to be an attractive option, being only a couple hours south. Gilligan had success with Quebec kids in the 90's and I don't know why that pipeline dried up.
                        I agree with your first statement whole heartedly. Drawing the quality of players in Hockey East requires a succesion plan with a much higher turnover rate. Throw in a couple other problems with discipline, academics and bad chemistry and everything turns into reactive mode. I think that this may be one of the reasons UVM has struggled following NCAA appearances (both recently and back in the day). They just have not been able to reload the way the other teams do.
                        Regarding the Quebec kids. I don't think it is fair to compare 2012 Hockey East recruiting with what Gilligan had done in the past. Major Juniors is a huge problem to College Hockey and continues to lure away prospects and active players. In essence, (and the flamers may hate me on this one) I just think it is realistic to assume that the quality of the players in Hockey East are a bit stronger than the ECAC. As such, NHL opportunities are greater. Therefore, If you have a Quebec kid interested in his future in the NHL and he is good enough to play in Hockey East he will be heavily recruited (enticed) to Major Junior$. If, However, this same student values an education and is looking at scholarships, where do you think UVM lies in rankings for these kids. Hockey East and proximity to Canada help, inconsistent records and dismal facilities hurt. Competititon for these guys has got to be huge and the current pool of recruits smaller.

Just my thoughts,

Sully

Comment

Had hoped to see someone break the Big 4's hold on the HE Tourney this year, Merrimack and UML looked to be ready to
                          make a run but after last week all I have left is Providence.

Oh well they still have a better chance of winning today than our BBall team does.
                          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Stalberg scores goal in first game with the Worcester Sharks

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/co...-d.shtml?51937

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Good for him! How do we get guys like that? Or better yet, how do we KEEP guys like that?

[QUOTE=Martin St. Louis Fan;5403722]Stalberg scores goal in first game with the Worcester Sharks

Comment

Stalberg's goal is as 4:44 of this video!

http://www.sharksahl.com/sharkstv/index.asp

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Working...
                                X