Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    From 10th to fighting for home ice in one season. I'd say you were crazy, except where I have I seen that before...?

All yucks aside, baby steps. Shoot for ninth and who knows, maybe your squad makes the playoffs. All things considered, that'd have to be best case scenario, amirite? Northeastern should be abysmal, so getting out of the gutter is well within reach.
    I'd say 5-6 is a reasonable expectation IF there is some goaltending out of one of the freshman. The team should be offensively much better and should be decent on D barring any unexpected events.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Pattyn looks like an assist machine, we may actually have some depth at D now if the injury bug does not bury us

Girgensons not living and working out at the school this summer is not a good sign, i think he only shows up if the team that drafts him is a Sneddon/UVM supporter and that would mean one of maybe six NHL teams. not great odds IMHO.

but I like the balance of the recruiting class if the goaltenders can stop the puck; and if Girgensons does show up that is a bonus to add to a very young but formidable core

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
        Girgensons not living and working out at the school this summer is not a good sign, i think he only shows up if the team that drafts him is a Sneddon/UVM supporter and that would mean one of maybe six NHL teams. not great odds IMHO.
        I agree. Honestly, I think the chances of him ever playing for UVM took a nosedive last summer when it was announced he wouldn't be suiting up for the 2011-12 season because he wasn't ready academically (or was it a language thing, or both?). If he had played, right now he'd be settled into the UVM program and, assuming he had a good year, professional teams could see how nicely he developed playing D-1 hockey. That might have been persuasive to a team that wouldn't normally see the value of playing college hockey. Now, like you said, it's gonna be a crap shoot as to whether he gets picked by a "college friendly" team. I don't think anyone (players, coaches, fans) should count on him actually playing for UVM.

Comment

I'm betting he stays for at least two years................Once he gets here, he will fall in love with the city. Just like everyone else!

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
            I'm betting he stays for at least two years................Once he gets here, he will fall in love with the city. Just like everyone else!
            I'm with you on this, I bet he shows up and stays for two... maaaayyyybbbeeee three years. I think three is a stretch but I'd bet on two.
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Fall in love with the city? are you high on some of that medical ganja that shummy smokes while chasing his pet bear around his yard in his bithday suit?

if Girgensons shows up our best hope is that he falls in love with a hot babe undergrad unmanderclass coed, the city is not going to keep him from moving onto his pro career when his draft team comes calling. that is just silly talk

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                I agree. Honestly, I think the chances of him ever playing for UVM took a nosedive last summer when it was announced he wouldn't be suiting up for the 2011-12 season because he wasn't ready academically (or was it a language thing, or both?).
                Not trolling, honest question for you. Do you think he would have been ready/able to play at this level as a 17-year old for the first half of the 2011/2012 season? I know I've heard great things about his abilities, but just curious.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  Not trolling, honest question for you. Do you think he would have been ready/able to play at this level as a 17-year old for the first half of the 2011/2012 season? I know I've heard great things about his abilities, but just curious.
                  Hockey-wise, based on what I know of his abilities and the fact that he's been labeled a "can't miss" prospect by people much more knowledgeable about the game than myself, I would have to say yes. In terms of whether he would have been able to adapt to college life, that's a good question. I'm sure it would have been a real struggle keeping up with college classes if he didn't have a good command of the language. And based on the recent picture of him proudly displaying his gaudy new tattoo, I have to wonder how mature he is even today. In any event, I'll be glad to know one way or the other whether he's actually going to play for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                    Ted is right on it. ( as usual) I am feeling better, and better about next season!
                    Have to agree with you on next season. Nowhere to go but up. Also, although I disagree strongly with Timmay's political views, I really agree with this quote from Ted on TT:

"Given the tortuous path Tim’s career has taken and how so few showed so little faith in him for so long, Tim is entitled to do what he believes is best for him and his family. He owes nothing to anyone else."

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                      I think it is a great point. Can anyone name a true freshman that came into college in the past several years and had an immediate impact. Kreider at BC didn't, he was solid but not impact, and he is a hell of a player. Look around. Riley Sheehan was a first rounder who went to Notre Dame, and he wasn't an impact player. Its very rare a true freshman makes a impact.

I think UVM will be better because there is significant overall addition without a substantial loss. Last year Madore, had a brutal year, and honestly should not have played. Look what UNH did when DeGirolemo (?) tanked, they played a freshman who repsonded. I have to believe one of our goalies is a legit NCAA goalie.

Gone is Marshall, Leonard and Stalberg and replaced with McCarthy, Zemgus, Fallon, Polesselo (?). I mean that is a huge upgrade.

October is coming!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
                        I think it is a great point. Can anyone name a true freshman that came into college in the past several years and had an immediate impact. Kreider at BC didn't, he was solid but not impact, and he is a hell of a player. Look around. Riley Sheehan was a first rounder who went to Notre Dame, and he wasn't an impact player. Its very rare a true freshman makes a impact.

I think UVM will be better because there is significant overall addition without a substantial loss. Last year Madore, had a brutal year, and honestly should not have played. Look what UNH did when DeGirolemo (?) tanked, they played a freshman who repsonded. I have to believe one of our goalies is a legit NCAA goalie.

Gone is Marshall, Leonard and Stalberg and replaced with McCarthy, Zemgus, Fallon, Polesselo (?). I mean that is a huge upgrade.

October is coming!!!

how abput Gaudreau this year at BC

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                          Actually, you could probably find a lot of freshmen that fit like Gaudreau, but more I was trying to think of guys that started at 17 ... that's a pretty young age to start college (I know, I did it). Girgensons would have turned 18 in time for the second half of the year.
                          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                            Kyle Rau of Minnesota would be another freshman who made a huge impact.

Comment

Day Costa at MC

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                Kyle Rau of Minnesota would be another freshman who made a huge impact.
                                Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                Day Costa at MC
                                Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not implying he couldn't make noise as a frosh. More as a very young frosh? Rau turned 19 in the first month of his freshmen hockey season, Da Costa was 20.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X