Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Interview with Stalberg.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9xj...1&feature=plcp

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Tough day for HE on Sat only BC wins out of 4 teams playing
      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

As bad as our season was, we had two wins against Frozen Four teams. Go figure.

Comment

Just as an aside, I am really impressed with Union. Thought they pretty much dominated UML in every aspect of the game. Frankly, UML was lucky to get on the scoreboard at all, with their first goal being a bit of a fluke, and their second being an absolute gift.

As someone mentioned in the old thread, you kinda have to wonder how Union got to be so good, seemingly with less hockey resources and history, while we seem to be floundering. Like myself and others have said, this next season will be a big test for Sneddon and the team. (More so for Sneddon though, since he's expendable and the team is not).
          Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 03-27-2012, 05:28 AM.

Comment

yeah, while it's nice to see some non-traditional powers make a run it's kind of discouraging also when we are one of the absolute worst teams in the country and we seemingly have more to offer as a school and program

However, keep in mind that four years ago we were in the same position they are, and we CAN get back there if things go right (and we are due as nothing has gone right since Wilson scored that goal against us in the FF semifinal and was followed up by Stalberg leaving, Milo, and then Pacan getting tossed out of school, etc.)

So we are due some luck and good karma next season

UML did look outclassed by Union for sure. Chemistry and desire will only go so far, at some point you need to add sick skills and size to the mix and Union has some of that in the mix currently. But it is encouraging that UML won five games last year and then made it to the tourney this year. UVM needs to get on that mojo next season.

Fresh start next year. By the way - I think whether Girgensons shows up will be largely contingent on which team drafts him and where they want him to go. But I hope he (or his family) makes it clear that he wants a real education and that discourages teams that are Major Junior fans from drafting him. We need a team like Chicago, San Jose, NJ or the Rangers to draft him as they tend to leave the kids in school (probably others also - not my area of expertise)

It's going to be a long five months to see if he shows up and a long six+ months before the Cats hit the ice and vanquish the ghosts of 2010/11 and 2011/12

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
              Tough day for HE on Sat only BC wins out of 4 teams playing
              I find myself yet again having to root for BC......if they come up against Union it will be a tough call. I am tempted to tell our good friend Nick P that whatever BC does it is not valid because they barely beat Air Force....

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                Just as an aside, I am really impressed with Union. Thought they pretty much dominated UML in every aspect of the game. Frankly, UML was lucky to get on the scoreboard at all, with their first goal being a bit of a fluke, and their second being an absolute gift.

As someone mentioned in the old thread, you kinda have to wonder how Union got to be so good, seemingly with less hockey resources and history, while we seem to be floundering. Like myself and others have said, this next season will be a big test for Sneddon and the team. (More so for Sneddon though, since he's expendable and the team is not).
                They have done better since Sneddon left........

Comment

Ted wrote a nice update piece on UVM and Norwich Alum, and how they are doing in the pros.

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com...-vt-pro-stats/

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Wow. De Luca is just torching the Q AAA league. 2 points a game!

I would like to see him with Girgensons and McCarthy in 13/14

Comment

Its amazing that as bad as VT season was we actually beat 2 of the 3 teams in the final that we played.
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Top 10 ranked by league by the CSS, Girgensons on the list...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=8063
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Newbie here ... please tell me a bit about the school, the program and the coaching philosophy. My fave USHL player has committed to VT for next year and he's a bit of a wild-child so I'm worried he won't 'color in the lines' and could possibly lose what's probably his last-chance at a ride.

Thanks!
                          Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

Originally posted by hoosierpuck View Post
                            Newbie here ... please tell me a bit about the school, the program and the coaching philosophy. My fave USHL player has committed to VT for next year and he's a bit of a wild-child so I'm worried he won't 'color in the lines' and could possibly lose what's probably his last-chance at a ride.

Thanks!
                            I can tell you this, the school won't tolerate much in the way of "coloring outside the lines." Your player was made well aware of this fact when he committed to UVM. If he does what he is supposed to do, he will be very productive and a top six player. Next year's team should be a strong team, even after a dismal season like this, they will be strong. Coach is going to preach, according to all reports, finish checks,sacrafice for team and doing all the little things right. Next year is extremely important for the program and the coach to rebound. I admit I am a little biased, but UVM is a great play to watch and be a college hockey player.

Comment

I presume you are refering to Fallon

Neither the school nor Coach will tolerate any behavioral BS. Based on his alleged history of behaviour I was shocked to see Coach Sneddon recruit him. Based on recent history - his and the UVM programs - I fully expect him to get tossed off the team before too long. However, if he is a good teammate, student and model citizen he could have a very good three year career at UVM. The program should get back to respectability over the next few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                                I presume you are refering to Fallon

Neither the school nor Coach will tolerate any behavioral BS. Based on his alleged history of behaviour I was shocked to see Coach Sneddon recruit him. Based on recent history - his and the UVM programs - I fully expect him to get tossed off the team before too long. However, if he is a good teammate, student and model citizen he could have a very good three year career at UVM. The program should get back to respectability over the next few seasons.

Thanks both of you for the insights. I think he's definitely come into his own on the ice this season - always able to dig out the puck, turn on the wheels and set up a scoring opportunity ... I've seen him evolve during the course of the season to a pretty consistent winner in the faceoff circle too. Off the ice, I do know he was taking classes at the local community college although I obviously don't have the skinny on what he was taking or how seriously he was taking it.

I see alot of potential in him - I guess it's one of those things where as a grown up you want to shake 'em until they realize the opportunity they've got and how easy it can be to NOT f* it up if they'd just do what they're supposed to. I hope VT is good for him, and vice versa.
                                Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

Working...
                                X