Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

We definitely have a lot to look forward to!

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-D...gus-Girgensons
    Last edited by Martin St. Louis Fan; 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

Yes, let's hope that when Girgensons leaves UVM, we can call it an "era." To me, that would mean him being around for at least three years. I don't think a two-season stint with the team can qualify as an "era" no matter how productive, but I would take it nonetheless. I agree though that we have a lot to look forward to.

BTW, liked your timing with this new thread--i.e., concluding the old one after one of the most vitriolic posts of the season by Catamount90. "Okay, on that note, let's start a new thread."

Comment

Re: University of Vermont off-season thread, ( Let the Zemgus Girgensons Era Begin! )

This is going to make watching the NHL draft fun! I'm a Penguins fan, and I think I have only paid attention to the drafts when Lemieux or Crosby were involved. I have seen him in the top 10 in some mock drafts. And yes that was my point!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
        This is going to make watching the NHL draft fun! I'm a Penguins fan, and I think I have only paid attention to the drafts when Lemieux or Crosby were involved. I have seen him in the top 10 in some mock drafts. And yes that was my point!
        Its pretty crazy that Girgensons was on a line with Saponari and Johnny Gaudreau in Dubuque last year. That'd be a good first line in HE; nevermind the USHL.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

FYI from Twitter:
          According to a tweet from teammate Kyle Reynolds, UVM's Sebastian Stalberg has signed with San Jose and will forgo his senior season.
          http://***********/#!/smclaughlin9

A tough break for UVM if true

Comment

I am beginning to feel this was a prank, if not then best of luck to him!
            Last edited by Martin St. Louis Fan; 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

We will find out soon enough, Ted is on the case!

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com...mmits-to-cats/

The new recruit looks promising..............I thought we only needed two defensemen. Adding a scoring forward is exciting!

Comment

Stalberg leaving for San Jose according to WCAX.

Comment

I am beginning to feel this was a prank, if not then best of luck to him!
                  Ted Ryan is reporting on the rumors, but wasn't able to confirm that they're true. If true, this would be another serious blow to the UVM hockey program. I don't think we've had anything go our way since Viktor Stalberg declared his intent to turn pro and forfeit his senior season three years ago. This one surprises me a bit--Sebastian is not nearly the force that his brother was at this same time and I think another year of college hockey would only enhance his prospects of succeeding as a pro. Best of luck to him, but at the same time I think he's making a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Ball of Hate View Post
                    Stalberg leaving for San Jose according to WCAX.
                    http://www.wca*****/story/17152682/r...ns-with-sharks

Comment

This story says "If he is leaving....." So not exactly a confirmation.

But realistically, it looks like he's gone. I'd expect to see definitive confirmation from a legitimate source sometime today. Bummer.

Comment

Interestingly, this will mark the fourth time in three years that UVM has lost their leading scorer before that player's eligibility has run out: Viktor Stalberg, Justin Milo, Wahs Stacey, and Sebastian Stalberg.

Comment

Yeah, I am a HUGE Kevin Sneddon fan, but this trend has to hurt. Especially since he was not drafted.

Comment

Yeah, I am a HUGE Kevin Sneddon fan, but this trend has to hurt. Especially since he was not drafted.
                            I know you're a big Sneddon fan. This next season is going to be a real test for him. Although I'm admittedly not close to the pulse of UVM hockey here in Atlanta, there's seems to be a low murmur of dissatisfaction with Sneddon, which is sure to become a lot more vocal if he can't turn things around. But I can't imagine there won't be some significant improvement next season.

Comment

Players leaving early for the pros is just part of the deal in college hockey. The key is to have high level recruits ready to step in and take their place. Look at BC as an example. Every year they seem to lose a guy or two to the pros and it doesn't slow them down because they are bringing in talented recruits to take their place.

Along the same lines I wouldn't count on Girgensons being in Burlington very long. I'd love to see him play 4 years, but it's not going to happen.

I think Sneddon is a reasonably good coach, but there's only so much you can do with the talent you have. Recruiting is the key and I don't think Sneddon and his staff have done a good job with that over the last few years. Especially after a Frozen Four appearance followed up with another trip to the NCAA's. For whatever reason those good seasons didn't translate into bringing big time kids to UVM, Girgensons excepted.

I'd love to see UVM succeed with American kids, but Quebec is a gold mine. For a Quebec kid UVM has to be an attractive option, being only a couple hours south. Gilligan had success with Quebec kids in the 90's and I don't know why that pipeline dried up.

Comment

Working...
                              X