This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

Josh, could you write a few sentences about each of the players in the incoming freshman class (the one's you are familiar with at least)?
    I've never seen any of them play, but I feel like all of them could go either way. Brett Pesce sounds like he'll be really good, after further developing. Other bright spots/most immediate impacts - Jamie Hill and Maxim Gaudreault. Your thoughts? There is going to be a log-jam at the F position, and was wondering if anyone will break through.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
      Josh, could you write a few sentences about each of the players in the incoming freshman class (the one's you are familiar with at least)?
      I've never seen any of them play, but I feel like all of them could go either way. Brett Pesce sounds like he'll be really good, after further developing. Other bright spots/most immediate impacts - Jamie Hill and Maxim Gaudreault. Your thoughts? There is going to be a logo-jam at the F position, and was wondering if anyone will break through.
      I second that request. I would love to hear your opinion. I think the last two classes have been good and I really like the potential of this years group. Personally, I like what we have done with recruiting in a D1 landscape much more competitive than 10 years ago. I am very optimistic about the future of UNH hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        Big four for several years

BC, BU, UNH, ME.

Only NUMBER that really counts. NCAA titles

Last 20 years
        BC 4
        ME 2
        BU 2
        UNH 0

Your last paragraph goes on and on about success. I will bet you ten to 1 over the next 5 years Union beats UNH in every catagory, as well as academics. Zero scholarships, great recruiting classes coming in and heading in the right direction. Can't say that about University of No Hardware. Another guy with little budget, zero scholarships, twice the admision process and twice the momentum.

UNH is fine but by no means is heading in the right direction
        Hokydad,

You are very bitter towards the UNH program and I did not come on here to go back and forth over things that I clearly can not change your mind about. Bitter is not a good smelling cologne. Maybe you re Vecchione's father, maybe you are his former coach. doesnt matter to me either way. I am sure he is a great kid and will end up doing just fine in life and I wish him the best---and I am sure the UNH coaches wish him the same. Coming on here and bashing the program and the coaching isnt going to do you or Mike Vecchione any good though. Just move on.

I think Union has done a great job the last few seasons. But here is what I will say: at the end of every season the NCAA gets together and decides who the best 16 teams in the country are. 4 of the last 5 seasons UNH has been one of those teams---Union has not had the same success, period. They play in a different league, and wins in the ECAC are not valued as much as wins in Hockey East. I do not make the rules or the formulas, I am just telling you how it is. In regards to moving in the right direction I can say this---there is not a single Union recruit that I would take over Kelleher, Eiserman, Pesce or Poturalski. I can say this because I have seen these kids play. This is not a knock against the job Union has done---I think they are doing a good job---but what I am saying is the 4 kids I just mentioned have more talent and are cut from a different cloth---leading me to think UNH is headed to a good place.

Do yourself a favor and let it go. Stop being so negative towards UNH. You may be bitter right now, but I assure they were doing what they felt was right by Vecchione.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
          I've never seen any of them play, but I feel like all of them could go either way. Brett Pesce sounds like he'll be really good, after further developing. Other bright spots/most immediate impacts - Jamie Hill and Maxim Gaudreault. Your thoughts? There is going to be a log-jam at the F position, and was wondering if anyone will break through.
          I will do my best here based off of what I have seen and the coaching has told me...

Brett Pesce- The kid has alot of potential. Has excellent feet and is very savvy with the puck. Has the ability to be the top defenseman UNH has seen since Stafford. Will be draft eligible next season and Id expect him to go in the top 3 rounds. as a sophmore I think he will get strong consideration for the US World Junior Team. Is very slight right now and will probably have a 3 month adjustment period where he will have to get used to the pace and strength of the opposition. Could have bennefitted from another year of juniors, but at the same time was the top available defenseman in the country and there was no sense in bringing in an inferior defender.

Dan Correale- Is college ready and will challenge for a roster spot on a crowded line up. Has offensive abilities, but most importantly plays with an edge and toughness. Will bring an element to UNH and will provide a spark on small ice surfaces and physical games.Would have been at UNH this past season if not for an injury. Has second line upside, but will more than likely settle into a 3rd line role---think Josh Ciocco

Jamie Hill- Really improved his stock over the course of the playoffs where he led the USHL in playoff goals and was a big reason why Waterloo nearly won a title. The fans will love Jamie as he works his bag off. Is a really quick skater, but not fast goal line to goal line. Has a good, quick stick and can make plays in tight spaces. Will challenge for a 4th line spot and is the type of player coach umile will like. Has physical limitations. Best case scenario is he develops into a steve saviano--worst case scenario he ends up being a greg collins type player.

Kyle Smith- Very under rated. I have watched kyle for a long time and it takes some time to appreciate his game. He is one of those players who will never jump out at you, but if you watch him you will notice how many subtle good plays he makes. I think he will struggle to get into the lineup in his first year or two at UNH because he does not play with the energy of an effective 3rd/4th line guy---but this kid could really turn it on as he matures. Has Preston Callander upside---but more realistically his career will follow that of Josh Prudden.

Max Gaudreault- Think Jeff Silengo. Has good size and pays attention to the details. I will highly doubt he ever becomes a high end scoring forward and it could be tough for him to get more than 10-12 points per season. He will win draws, make good, safe decisions and bring positive intangibles into the locker room. Can make plays and could be someone to compliment the top end guys if need be.

Colin Macdonald- Will score goals at UNH. A late bloomer who is just figuring out how good he is. Can really shoot the puck and has a knack around the net. Good size kid who can skate and get to the net when he wants. The knock on him is that he coasts for long periods of time and sometimes finds himself on the perimeter a little too much. His style of play will remind some of Bobby Butler--though I cant say he will explode like Bobby did as a senior--but Bob was a good player his first three years at UNH too.

Harry Quast- I have not seen him play. I am told he has alot of upside as he is a big kid with a good stick. I was also told he will keep the dmen honest in practive and is good enough to steal a job on the blue line. UNH has had a great deal of success with recruited walk ons in the past---Jamie Fritsche was a full time guy for UNH and developed into one of the better defensive dmen in the league--tough to beat and play against.

All in all I think this is a solid class. Pesce is the only guy in this group who I would call an "A" prospect, but there is a couple others who I feel could develop into really solid players for UNH and be very good in the later years of their careers--such as Callander, Radja, Butler and Thompson. What is really exciting is the fall of 13 and 14 classes. Bringing in Masters (who is still committed), Poturalski and most importantly Kelleher will really add some immediate offense. Fall of 14 has the making to be even more special with Shane Eiserman (who I absolutley love---think Bill Arnold) and two studs out in BC in Chanter and Marks. The future is bright.

Comment

Not bitter Josh. Dont mistake debating vs bitter. Root for UNH. Vs everyone but a couple teams. Will continue to do so.
            With all that talent they better hurry up and win one

Unions class coming in is very, very good.

Comment

Not bitter Josh. Dont mistake debating vs bitter. Root for UNH. Vs everyone but a couple teams. Will continue to do so.
              With all that talent they better hurry up and win one

Unions class coming in is very, very good.

Hokydad- That is good to hear. I am sure you are close to Vecchione and are obviously passionate about him. My personal observation is that I really respect what he did at Malden Catholic. I love that he stayed there all four years and went out with a bang. I know he was good enough to leave MC and play in the EJ, USHL and I am sure just about every prep program recruited him at some point. I think its great that he stayed and its always nice to see a throwback like collier, sean collins, chris capraro and in alot of ways Robby O'Gara--guys who know its not a sprint and realize highschool programs with quality coaches can do everything to prepare you for college. I wish badly we could wind the clock back and the recruitng landscape could return to the way it was 20 years ago. Maybe there was some miscommunication. You mentioned one coach told him one thing, and another coach told his coach in TC another thing. Probably was not the TC coaches place to stir the pot and he may have acted in way to get him back for another season? Alot of USHL coaches do this--they are paid a salary and sometimes they have to be selfish and try to get the kids back. I think Mike Vecchione will land on his feet. He was very productive at the end of the year and all signs point to him having a good year in 12-13. But I do think what was best for him was to be in the USHL next season--whether he goes to UNH or not. I think him getting 50 points, playing first line, PP, PK in TC is far better than fighting just to be in the lineup at UNH. Im sure it hurt the kid and he viewed this as a set back, but at the end of the day it was what was right for him and maybe in time he will realize that staff at UNH was not acting maliciously--they just wanted what was best for him and their program. If Union is where he ends up than great. Union is doing a great job, and in no way was i attempting to put the program down. I really like Tim Boyle and I think they have themselves a steal there. Boyle wanted to play in Hockey East and no one really recruited him--which is shocking. Brian was a late bloomer and really turned a corner at the end of his sophmore season. Tim got so much better this year and I think he will continue to do so at UNH. If i was an NHL scout Id strongly consider drafting him late. My point in comparing UNH to Union was to show the longevity that the UNH program has had. The program is held to such high standards that often times fans overlook how hard it is to get to the NCAA tournament and be on that level every year. It takes quality coaching and talented players to be on that level. I truly do hope UNH wins the big one before coach umile is done. I think they will have the talent to get it done--but the NCAA tourney is very hard to win and sometimes you need luck and bounces--thats what makes it so fun to watch, because anyone can win. I personally will not judge Umile's career on whether or not he wins the big one--I do not believe 1 game, and 1 goal (Lost in OT to Maine in 99) can define his career---but I want him to win because I know the vast majority of fans will define his career on whether or not he wins it. As a UNH fan I can assure talent is in the pipeline and there is indeed alot to be excited about. They have the potential to win it over the next 5 years. Having said that---so do other teams. BC's 2013 recruiting class is pretty scary in its own right. Hope all is well and hopefully we can get a little more positivity out of you one here

Cheers!

Comment

Josh,

Don't want to get you into any kind of trouble with any of these questions, but if you are able and willing to play analyst for us then we can just pretend it's a NESN call-in show and not a USCHO message board....

1) How do you see the top 6 shaking out next year? Several guys have seen time on the top two lines: Sorkin, Goumas, Downing, Henrion, Block, Silengo, Burke, Speelman....IMO Block and Silengo are more suited for a checking-line type role. If Burke stays healthy seems like he could be your other center along with Sorkin. Could a kid like Downing make the move to the middle?

2) Any thoughts on why Henrion has been so inconsistent and hasn't really developed into the go-to kind of goal scorer that it seems like he has the talent (which he has shown in occasional brief spurts) to be?

3) Did Speelman actually get a redshirt? By my count and understanding of the rule as it's published in the NCAA manual, he played in too many games last year to get a redshirt...but on the boards it was stated months ago that Umile had said he did get one. If he did get the extra year, how does that impact UNH's recruiting if they have to come up with whatever scholarship money he is on for that extra year?

4) Kostolansky had an excellent Sophomore campaign and I (and others too I imagine) expected him to be one of the steadying forces for a young blueline this past season...but far too often it seemed like he was the one that was struggling with his consistency. Did I make that up and/or any thoughts why his play might have taken a step back and how he can bounce back this year?

5) Casey Thrush impressed me last season with his skating ability and good size. What do you see as his offensive upside over the next few seasons, and where do you think his ceiling is in terms of production?

Thanks--I've enjoyed seeing all your thoughts on things thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Ciocco View Post
                  Hokydad- That is good to hear. I am sure you are close to Vecchione and are obviously passionate about him. My personal observation is that I really respect what he did at Malden Catholic. I love that he stayed there all four years and went out with a bang. I know he was good enough to leave MC and play in the EJ, USHL and I am sure just about every prep program recruited him at some point. I think its great that he stayed and its always nice to see a throwback like collier, sean collins, chris capraro and in alot of ways Robby O'Gara--guys who know its not a sprint and realize highschool programs with quality coaches can do everything to prepare you for college. I wish badly we could wind the clock back and the recruitng landscape could return to the way it was 20 years ago. Maybe there was some miscommunication. You mentioned one coach told him one thing, and another coach told his coach in TC another thing. Probably was not the TC coaches place to stir the pot and he may have acted in way to get him back for another season? Alot of USHL coaches do this--they are paid a salary and sometimes they have to be selfish and try to get the kids back. I think Mike Vecchione will land on his feet. He was very productive at the end of the year and all signs point to him having a good year in 12-13. But I do think what was best for him was to be in the USHL next season--whether he goes to UNH or not. I think him getting 50 points, playing first line, PP, PK in TC is far better than fighting just to be in the lineup at UNH. Im sure it hurt the kid and he viewed this as a set back, but at the end of the day it was what was right for him and maybe in time he will realize that staff at UNH was not acting maliciously--they just wanted what was best for him and their program. If Union is where he ends up than great. Union is doing a great job, and in no way was i attempting to put the program down. I really like Tim Boyle and I think they have themselves a steal there. Boyle wanted to play in Hockey East and no one really recruited him--which is shocking. Brian was a late bloomer and really turned a corner at the end of his sophmore season. Tim got so much better this year and I think he will continue to do so at UNH. If i was an NHL scout Id strongly consider drafting him late. My point in comparing UNH to Union was to show the longevity that the UNH program has had. The program is held to such high standards that often times fans overlook how hard it is to get to the NCAA tournament and be on that level every year. It takes quality coaching and talented players to be on that level. I truly do hope UNH wins the big one before coach umile is done. I think they will have the talent to get it done--but the NCAA tourney is very hard to win and sometimes you need luck and bounces--thats what makes it so fun to watch, because anyone can win. I personally will not judge Umile's career on whether or not he wins the big one--I do not believe 1 game, and 1 goal (Lost in OT to Maine in 99) can define his career---but I want him to win because I know the vast majority of fans will define his career on whether or not he wins it. As a UNH fan I can assure talent is in the pipeline and there is indeed alot to be excited about. They have the potential to win it over the next 5 years. Having said that---so do other teams. BC's 2013 recruiting class is pretty scary in its own right. Hope all is well and hopefully we can get a little more positivity out of you one here

Cheers!
                  Never said MV should have gone to UNH this year. Always felt he needed a full year of high end performance first in USHL, 2nd year is critical for development. Just supported his choice, not mine to make,
                  Very happy the way it worked out with USHL and feel there is no rush to get there. That 4 year window opens and closes quickly.

UNH coaches also get paid and are just as selfish as the USHL coaches, trust but verify should be the battle cry for every player/parent. I am sure you have heard a thousand times that the coaches dont really care about the kids and are there to win, UNH is no different. I am sure yiou can remember how miserable a lot of your teammates were..... Not to say they are not good people as they are. Several good friends who love them, which is good enough for me.

He passed on Union and will probably go elsewhere. Should have grabbed it as it is a great program and school and they do not over recruit. That coach gets it+. Has 4/5 Hockey East schools as well as 4/5 mid west programs on recruiting trail as we speak. remember, owner of Tri City had a kid on team last year. He was first everything 24/7. Good player and probably deserved it. Next year they are building around MV and Brian Ward, a sleeper/blue chipper who will be two of the top F's in league.
                  Last edited by Hokydad; 05-31-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Never said MV should have gone to UNH this year. Always felt he needed a full year of high end performance first in USHL, 2nd year is critical for development. Just supported his choice, not mine to make,
                    Very happy the way it worked out with USHL and feel there is no rush to get there. That 4 year window opens and closes quickly.

UNH coaches also get paid and are just as selfish as the USHL coaches, trust but verify should be the battle cry for every player/parent. I am sure you have heard a thousand times that the coaches dont really care about the kids and are there to win, UNH is no different. I am sure yiou can remember how miserable a lot of your teammates were..... Not to say they are not good people as they are. Several good friends who love them, which is good enough for me.

He passed on Union and will probably go elsewhere. Should have grabbed it as it is a great program and school and they do not over recruit. That coach gets it+. Has 4/5 Hockey East schools as well as 4/5 mid west programs on recruiting trail as we speak. remember, owner of Tri City had a kid on team last year. He was first everything 24/7. Good player and probably deserved it. Next year they are building around MV and Brian Ward, a sleeper/blue chipper who will be two of the top F's in league.
                    I can not speak on behalf of every college program, but UNH I can--and I will say that you are dead wrong here. Yes, the UNH coaches care very deeply about winning, and their jobs are on the line---but coach umile cares more about his players and winning the right way than the "win at all cost" approach. I can give you a couple good examples... UNH, just like every other team is given 18 scholorships to work with. Jamie Fritsche was a recruited walk on who was a regular in the lineup from day 1. He would have stayed at UNH with no scholorship money at all and given the same effort. But because it was the right thing to do he was awarded a scholorship and ended up leaving UNH with a 2/4. If the coaching staff wanting to be selfish and win at all cost they could have gone out and recruited another Dman or forward with that scholorship money, but it was not the right thing to do. There are countless other players with similiar stories. Another situation I will give you is that of Mark Kolanos. A full scholorship kid who never did develop into his brother. Not once, and I mean, not once did Mark Kolanos not feel wanted. They never tried to run the kid out of the locker room. He was scratched most the games throughout his career and we played with 17 scholorships---but the coaches were never bitter towards him or tried to get rid of him. Mark was a great guy, a great team guy--walked into the locker room with a smile everyday and was treated as much of the team as anyone else. If he came back to UNH today he would be embraced just as mark mowers, bobby butler, steve saviano or any other alum who had alot of success.

Pro hockey and junior hockey are different---it is very cut throat. It is a different feel at UNH and while not everyone is happy with their ice time, and surely kids are miserable, coach umile puts off ice personal development above everything else. Ask him what his job is and he will be more inclined to state that he shapes the lives of young men as opposed to simply a hockey coach. When you walk into the locker room their is no heirarchy---everyone is treated the same--this I can assure you. Cant speak for every program, just UNH.

Comment

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

Originally posted by Josh Ciocco View Post
                      I can not speak on behalf of every college program, but UNH I can--and I will say that you are dead wrong here. Yes, the UNH coaches care very deeply about winning, and their jobs are on the line---but coach umile cares more about his players and winning the right way than the "win at all cost" approach. I can give you a couple good examples... UNH, just like every other team is given 18 scholorships to work with. Jamie Fritsche was a recruited walk on who was a regular in the lineup from day 1. He would have stayed at UNH with no scholorship money at all and given the same effort. But because it was the right thing to do he was awarded a scholorship and ended up leaving UNH with a 2/4. If the coaching staff wanting to be selfish and win at all cost they could have gone out and recruited another Dman or forward with that scholorship money, but it was not the right thing to do. There are countless other players with similiar stories. Another situation I will give you is that of Mark Kolanos. A full scholorship kid who never did develop into his brother. Not once, and I mean, not once did Mark Kolanos not feel wanted. They never tried to run the kid out of the locker room. He was scratched most the games throughout his career and we played with 17 scholorships---but the coaches were never bitter towards him or tried to get rid of him. Mark was a great guy, a great team guy--walked into the locker room with a smile everyday and was treated as much of the team as anyone else. If he came back to UNH today he would be embraced just as mark mowers, bobby butler, steve saviano or any other alum who had alot of success.

Pro hockey and junior hockey are different---it is very cut throat. It is a different feel at UNH and while not everyone is happy with their ice time, and surely kids are miserable, coach umile puts off ice personal development above everything else. Ask him what his job is and he will be more inclined to state that he shapes the lives of young men as opposed to simply a hockey coach. When you walk into the locker room their is no heirarchy---everyone is treated the same--this I can assure you. Cant speak for every program, just UNH.
                      If I was the highest paid state employee and made more then the govenor, I would say the same thing....

Like I said, everyone that I know who knows him as a human being loves him, more then good enough for me. But at the end of the day, no different then the other coaches. Big time programs are there to produce. Kids get hurt along the way, such is life...

With your passion I now see why Milton is winning. Cannata better promote you to Associate Head Coach...

Comment

Josh, as a Lowell fan that rooted against you quite often ... I have to say this thread is a great read thanks to your insights. Wish we had someone offer this kind of insight to other programs as well (my alma mater included).
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

If I was the highest paid state employee and made more then the govenor, I would say the same thing....
                          Yeah, it's really unusual for the head coach of the state university's #1 D-1 program to make more than the governor.
                          Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                            Josh, ... I have to say this thread is a great read thanks to your insights. Wish we had someone offer this kind of insight to other programs as well (my alma mater included).
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              Josh, as a Lowell fan that rooted against you quite often ... I have to say this thread is a great read thanks to your insights. Wish we had someone offer this kind of insight to other programs as well (my alma mater included).
                              If you are a UML fan you have alot be to excited about next season. As the Hockey East Analyst I followed every team this year, and in watching lowell the four biggest pieces on their team were Carr, Wilson, Wetmore and Ruhwedel. All of these kids are back. Lowell came a game from the frozen four this season and return their entire core. Norm Bazin did a complete overhaul in terms of the culture in the room and Id be shocked if Lowell does not compete for the league title next season. I do not know a ton about their recruits. They certainly went old and are bringing in quite a few 21 year old freshman (7 to be exact). The next step for Lowell is going to be to build on their momentum and get in the ring with the likes of UNH, Maine and maybe even BU and start competing for some of the top recruits in the area. They have excellent facilities and Lowell is a respectable school. Traditionally Lowell has not been a place where local kids dream of playing--but a couple winning seasons can go a long ways. Norm Bazin is very passionate about Lowell and I believe he can sell that program and begin to start taking a piece of the pie.

When you look at next year I think Lowell will come into the season ranked #2, behind BC only--but they will be older and more experienced than BC---BC lost 3 very good dmen in Dumoulin, Cross and Shea and that is no small challenge to replace them. I think next season will be a down year for Hockey East on the national level and I believe it is as good a chance as ever for Lowell to win the league. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                                Josh,

Don't want to get you into any kind of trouble with any of these questions, but if you are able and willing to play analyst for us then we can just pretend it's a NESN call-in show and not a USCHO message board....

1) How do you see the top 6 shaking out next year? Several guys have seen time on the top two lines: Sorkin, Goumas, Downing, Henrion, Block, Silengo, Burke, Speelman....IMO Block and Silengo are more suited for a checking-line type role. If Burke stays healthy seems like he could be your other center along with Sorkin. Could a kid like Downing make the move to the middle?

As you guys know I watch alot of UNH Hockey and certainly care about how the program does. I can take a guess as to how the top 6 will be, but it is merely an educated guess and I have not sat down with the staff to discuss, nor will I. It is their decision and they make those decisions behind closed doors and the first people to know is the team---not me. Goumas and Sorkin had alot of chemistry and it would makes sense to keep them together. Slot Speelman in there and I think you have a great first line--very skilled and one of the top in the league. I expect a break out year from Greg Burke offensively and I think he gives UNH 25+ points. As an assitant captain and senior he will step up. Grayson Downing is probably UNH's most talented forward and I think he turns in 30+ points. I also think he will be on the first PP. Rounding out the top 6 I will go with one of three guys--Henrion, Block or Macdonald. Macdonald can score goals and playing with a guy like Downing could really give the youngster some confidence.

2) Any thoughts on why Henrion has been so inconsistent and hasn't really developed into the go-to kind of goal scorer that it seems like he has the talent (which he has shown in occasional brief spurts) to be?

This is a tough question to answer. My observation is that it takes him too long to get his shot off. It seems to me that hes looking to go bar down or knock the water bottle off the top of the net with each shot he takes. I think if he gets more pucks on the net and quickens his release he will score more goals. To John's credit he has gotten so much faster while at UNH. When he came in as a freshman I questioned if hed ever be able to get up and down the ice with any kind of pace. My hunch tells me that he will have a big year. Hes a senior, cares alot about UNH Hockey---and hes a great guy in the dressing room. Good things tend to happen to good people and I think that will be the case with Henrion.

3) Did Speelman actually get a redshirt? By my count and understanding of the rule as it's published in the NCAA manual, he played in too many games last year to get a redshirt...but on the boards it was stated months ago that Umile had said he did get one. If he did get the extra year, how does that impact UNH's recruiting if they have to come up with whatever scholarship money he is on for that extra year?

Speelman did get the red shirt. I dont know the details as to how this was possible--i just know that did in fact happen. As far as recruiting goes it just means that they have a top 6 forward for 2013-2014 that they did not expect to have. Im sure they had money for that year and will probably just look to add a skilled guy for 2014-2015 instead.

4) Kostolansky had an excellent Sophomore campaign and I (and others too I imagine) expected him to be one of the steadying forces for a young blueline this past season...but far too often it seemed like he was the one that was struggling with his consistency. Did I make that up and/or any thoughts why his play might have taken a step back and how he can bounce back this year?

I think defensively his game was pretty consistent with how it was during his first 2 years. If you look at his numbers there was a drop off--but I think that is a result of him not playing with Blake Kessel. TVR runs the PP and will do the same next season. BK is a good, solid, puck moving defender and I personally am confident with the job he does defensively. I think next season with TVR, Pesce and BK UNH will have no issues getting the puck up the ice to forwards as those three dmen have 3 of the better sticks in Hockey East.

5) Casey Thrush impressed me last season with his skating ability and good size. What do you see as his offensive upside over the next few seasons, and where do you think his ceiling is in terms of production?

I do not want to put limitiations on a player. Thrush surprised me last season as well as the coaching staff and fans. Here is what I will say about him---he keeps getting better. He grew up playing against my little brother and was never a big name in the area. Every year he has taken positive strides. He is an intelligent kid on and off the ice and seems to be very good at figuring out what he needs to do to be successful. He does not strike me as someone with high end offensive abilities (top 6 forward) but he has surprised me in the past and it would not shock me if he did so over the remainder of his UNH career.

Thanks--I've enjoyed seeing all your thoughts on things thus far.
                                Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X