Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: UNH Recruits: 2012-2018

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

So ... are Blackburn and/or BvR coming this Fall, or will they be delayed until Fall 2016?
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    So ... are Blackburn and/or BvR coming this Fall, or will they be delayed until Fall 2016?
    With Vela (thank goodness!), Kalinowski, Cefalu and Nazarian all signing I'd doubt that BVR comes this fall - they're up to 17 forwards for next year already and consensus is he still needs some development.

If Blackburn did sign during the November, early signing period - he's coming. Certainly unforeseen situations (injury/MJ) can arise, but you don't sign an NLI unless the absolute expectation is your coming in the fall. The aid agreement all of these players (and the school) signed was for the 2015-16 school year (you cannot sign for future years), which begins this fall.

So it looks like Miller is the odd man out - I can't imagine they'd bring in six forwards - and the forward class is Blackburn, Vela, Nazarian, Cefalu, Kalinowski.

CHC - the NTDP tweeted about many of their NLI signees during the recent U18 Tournament, bunt mentioned nothing about Masonious. Have you heard anything? Hopefully, UNH is just waiting until he returns stateside...??
    Last edited by Dan; 04-22-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Clark-Hislop-Cox
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    With Vela (thank goodness!), Kalinowski, Cefalu and Nazarian all signing I'd doubt that BVR comes this fall - they're up to 17 forwards for next year already and consensus is he still needs some development.

If Blackburn did sign during the November, early signing period - he's coming. Certainly unforeseen situations (injury/MJ) can arise, but you don't sign an NLI unless the absolute expectation is your coming in the fall. The aid agreement all of these players (and the school) signed was for the 2015-16 school year (you cannot sign for future years), which begins this fall.

So it looks like Miller is the odd man out - I can't imagine they'd bring in six forwards - and the forward class is Blackburn, Vela, Nazarian, Cefalu, Kalinowski.

CHC - the NTDP tweeted about many of their NLI signees during the recent U18 Tournament, bunt mentioned nothing about Masonious. Have you heard anything? Hopefully, UNH is just waiting until he returns stateside...??
    Masonius' NLI Status is likely to be resolved today. Assuming NLI offer was issued on 15th, he would have the rest of today to sign. Team USA U18 has today off and plays the Czech Republic tomorrow.

BvR coming in Fall 2016 would not be a surprise if that's how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Certainly unforeseen situations (injury/MJ) can arise, but you don't sign an NLI unless the absolute expectation is your coming in the fall. The aid agreement all of these players (and the school) signed was for the 2015-16 school year (you cannot sign for future years), which begins this fall.
    The general practice among other teams is to have players sign LOI, even if they are scheduled for later years. Since UNH got burned with these issues, they have ceased announcing LOIs, and instead just issue a press release mid summer. Other teams are far more proactive in announcing signings, even if the signing is (as you point out Dan), ceremonial because the LOI will not extend into the following year for a deferred player. I think psychologically it keeps the player bound to the program and makes them feel the program has committed to them, even if that commitment would expire.

July 30, 2014

Notre Dame, Ind. - Notre Dame hockey coach Jeff Jackson today announced that Anders Bjork (Mequon, Wis.) has signed a national letter-of-intent to join the Irish hockey program for the 2014-15 season.

Bjork, the son of Irish hockey All-American Kirt Bjork `83, brings the list of signees to 13 with 10 of them set to join the Irish for the coming season. Expected to join the team this fall along with Bjork are forwards Bo Brauer (Edina, Minn.), Dawson Cook (Cadillac, Mich.), Jake Evans (Toronto, Ont.) and Connor Hurley (Eagan, Minn.); defensemen Nathan Billitier (Spencerport, N.Y.), Tony Bretzman (Mendota Heights, Minn.), Jordan Gross (Maple Grove, Minn.) and Luke Ripley (Kitamit, B.C.) plus goaltender Cal Petersen (Waterloo, Iowa). Cook, Gross and Petersen signed letters-of-intent in the fall of 2013 but deferred until this coming season.

Also signing letters-of-intent this year are defenseman Bobby Nardella (Melrose Park, Ill.) and forward Joe Wegwerth (Brewster, N.Y.) who are expected to join the Irish along with forward Andrew Oglevie (Fullerton, Calif.), a 2013 signee, for the 2015-16 campaign.
    "Football legend Bill Walsh used to say that coaches and executives should seek change after 10 years with the same team. The theory is that both the individual and the organization benefit from a change after so much time together. the organization gets a fresh perspective, and the chance for true change that comes with new leadership." Theo Epstein

Happy 25th year with the same team and happy 66th Birthday Coach Umile.

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    The general practice among other teams is to have players sign LOI, even if they are scheduled for later years. Since UNH got burned with these issues, they have ceased announcing LOIs, and instead just issue a press release mid summer. Other teams are far more proactive in announcing signings, even if the signing is (as you point out Dan), ceremonial because the LOI will not extend into the following year for a deferred player. I think psychologically it keeps the player bound to the program and makes them feel the program has committed to them, even if that commitment would expire.
    Interesting - I've doubted that rumor because I've never seen a school or coach comment on future recruits (which Notre Dame does here). This seems to be a practice that is based on some pretty 'creative' compliance rulings well outside the intended spirit of the document. Additionally, I see ZERO benefit to the player to ever sign an NLI unless you are enrolling in the next school year. By definition the NLI is a documented agreement between school and prospect of athletic aid terms for the upcoming year - so, as stated above, any deferral means a renewal must be signed the next year anyway.

Over the course of that year, the school could completely change its mind on the sum of the athletic award or whether a renewal would even be issued. If a student-athlete signs an NLI and 'fails to enroll', the NLI remains binding to the student athlete - meaning that if the student-athlete were to change his mind he could, but would be bound to NCAA transfer rules...

http://www.nationalletter.org/docume...Guidelines.pdf

Based on the above, if a student signed early and changed his mind he would be forced to serve a year in residence and lose a year of eligibility. Am I incorrect in my understanding that - for example - UNH could have signed Vecchione, THEN told him he was deferring, forcing him to either wait to come to UNH or look for a different school, but lose a year of eligibility??? Meanwhile, no school can contact Vecchione because he is signed to UNH.

If some schools have started to rule that this practice is NCAA compliant then more will certainly follow shortly, but I've never seen anything to indicate UNH recruits this way. So I'd still strongly assume that all recent NLI signees will be in Durham this fall. If anything, I've noticed UNH prefers to avoids the early signing period whenever possible - allowing them to evaluate recruits all winter and make a decision on who to sign/defer in the spring.
    Last edited by Dan; 04-23-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Clark-Hislop-Cox

In November, 2013, Dylan Chanter, Shane Eiserman, and Cameron Marks signed an NLI during the early signing period. Last November, Liam Blackburn signed an NLI.

Clark-Hislop-Cox

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Other teams are far more proactive in announcing signings, even if the signing is (as you point out Dan), ceremonial because the LOI will not extend into the following year for a deferred player. I think psychologically it keeps the player bound to the program and makes them feel the program has committed to them, even if that commitment would expire.
    The agreements included in a signed National Letter of Intent (NLI) apparently can be deferred:

"Update on UNH Recruits and National Letter of Intent"

Excerpts:

"I have received the following confirmation from Michelle Bronner, Senior Associate Director for Compliance at UNH, that the agreement included in an National Letter of Intent can be deferred:
    'The quick answer is yes an NLI can be deferred. There is a provision in the letter of intent #7c that states “This NLI shall be declared null and void if I have not attended any institution for at least one academic year, provided my request for athletics financial aid for a subsequent fall term is denied by the signing institution.” So as long as a school holds a scholarship for the individual and makes it available the NLI remains in effect.' "

"Last November, Mike McMahon clarified this point in the "NLI Primer" he wrote for the College Hockey News.
    'How long is an NLI good for? Originally NLIs were meant to be signed the year before you begin competition for a college program. However, an NLI can be deferred for up to four years if agreed upon by the school and player. It's possible a player signs an NLI as a 17-year-old senior in high school but defers for three seasons to play junior or prep hockey and doesn't start with his NCAA program until he is 20 years old.' "

Clark-Hislop-Cox

"Clarification: Update on UNH Recruits and National Letter of Intent"

Clarification

Two days ago, I sought clarification from the National Letter of Intent Program on the question of deferring an NLI. I just received a return call from Susan Peal, the Director of the National Letter of Intent. She explained that the prospective student-athlete who has signed an NLI either during the November, 2014 early signing period or the current signing period, has the option to delay enrollment until Fall 2016. This is up to the discretion of the prospective student-athlete and can not be imposed by the college/university. This clarification appears to contradict one aspect of the "NLI Primer" article from the College Hockey News. A delay, if initiated by the prospective student-athlete, is for one year.

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Hard to see Miller being a major part of the program, but always nice to see in-state kids in the mix.
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Veteran

Nazarian is coming in now, tweeted "Wildcats class of 2019"

Thread Information