This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

I sincerely hope that Blackburn is Poturalski case. All of the information out on Poturalski was he chose to stay another year in the USHL. I hope Blackburn picked this route, not that it was pushed on to him.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      I sincerely hope that Blackburn is Poturalski case. All of the information out on Poturalski was he chose to stay another year in the USHL. I hope Blackburn picked this route, not that it was pushed on to him.
      Everything CHC has posted, and all I've read and heard, on Blackburn was he was willing to both come this fall or stay another season. Whatever worked out for the best for him and UNH. Come season's end, he was ready, he was signed and UNH had a real need - so why wasn't he 'pushed' to attend now.

When Poturalski delayed, he was coming off of a season of 12-21-33 in 53 games - he would have been fine to matriculate, but probably needed another year in order to be the impact frosh he was. Downing had posted just 18-18-36 in 43 games - fine to matriculate, but probably needed another year. It isn't the same situation.

Blackburn posted 22-51-73 in 55 games last season. He is better than many of the forwards on the current roster, perhaps ALL of the forwards in the 2015-16 class and would 'develop' every bit as well for the 2016-17 season at UNH, in Durham, as he would in the BCHL.

With UNH's history of deferring prospects, having three overaged recruits and Vela & Nazarian likely chomping at the bit to arrive, it seems more probably than not that if Blackburn was fine staying in the BCHL that UNH was happy to leave him there - due to overall roster numbers, upperclassmen forward numbers, recruiting class numbers and probably scholarship dollars.

Since UNH's early 2000's run to the top of college hockey - their biggest problem has been not having ENOUGH true talent on their rosters. Which is tied directly to miss-evaluation, miss-management and inconsistency in their recruiting classes. Usually resulting in rosters that feature a couple of really talented upper class players, a few young developing players and a lot of hard-working role players. Unfortunately, once the younger players develop, the older players are gone and the cycle begins again...

I had hoped that adding Foegel & Boyd ahead of schedule last year, signaled a change in UNH's approach to recruiting classes (i.e. getting talent into your program and letting it grow together / breaking out of the aforementioned cycle). Failing to bring in both Blackburn & Vela in this class points more toward little, if anything, actually changing in terms of balancing talent across classes consistently...
      Last edited by Dan; 05-12-2015, 02:46 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        A fair question. I take Liam Blackburn at his word. When he verbally committed to UNH last October, he told the Director of Media for the West Kelowna Warriors:

"I'm just trying to make myself the best player possible and whether that's making myself ready for college next year or the year after, I mean, that's a choice I'm probably going to make later in the year. Either way, I don't think there's a wrong choice. An extra year of juniors would be nice to develop physically but mentally, I think I'm prepared to go."

When Blackburn signed the National Letter of Intent in mid-November, he told me he still hadn’t decided whether he would be coming to UNH in the Fall of 2015 or 2016.

Last week, I gave him the opportunity to clarify anything in my article on the decision for him to come to UNH in the Fall of 2016. He communicated that he was pleased with the article and nothing needed to be clarified. I haven’t heard or read anything to indicate that Blackburn is uncomfortable with the decision to play one more season in the BCHL before coming to UNH.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Everything CHC has posted, and all I've read and heard, on Blackburn was he was willing to both come this fall or stay another season. Whatever worked out for the best for him and UNH. Come season's end, he was ready, he was signed and UNH had a real need - so why wasn't he 'pushed' to attend now.......

With UNH's history of deferring prospects, having three overaged recruits and Vela & Nazarian likely chomping at the bit to arrive, it seems more probably than not that if Blackburn was fine staying in the BCHL that UNH was happy to leave him there - due to overall roster numbers, upperclassmen forward numbers, recruiting class numbers and probably scholarship dollars.
          And, what you said in your previous post, Dan, two of the three letters going to players who otherwise probably would not see a lot of ice time. The only thing worse would be if he pulled his NLI, and went elsewhere in 2016-2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            And, what you said in your previous post, Dan, two of the three letters going to players who otherwise probably would not see a lot of ice time. The only thing worse would be if he pulled his NLI, and went elsewhere in 2016-2017.
            I think I've seen this movie before, and I'm pretty sure I didn't like the ending.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Of course it is also possible that next year's captain leaves for the NHL. After all, he has been compared to James Van Riemsdyk.

That move would open up another spot for an incoming freshman
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Well the 'nice' thing about these unique compliance interpretations is they are always beneficial to the university - so while UNH could pull the NLI by not offering aid next fall, Blackburn cannot renege on his NLI and bounce to another school (only MJ, Pro or a Canadian College). That's the beauty in reading the rule as an opportunity to defer an NLI (and why its laughable this read was instituted to benefit the player)...

That being said, I don't think any of this really applies to Blackburn/UNH. There is seemingly ZERO (less than?) ill will from Blackburn - as was the case with Vecchione. Say what you want about Umile, but he is a stand-up guy first and foremost - I would trust him more than just about any college coach, in any sport, to keep his word in a situation like this. I still think Blackburn was indifferent about his arrival, so UNH left him in the BCHL and took other forwards instead. And, I hope I'm wrong, but I think it was a mistake...

While the forward talent is improving over the next few years, I've been vocal about wishing UNH would start to stack that talent together and let it develop together. Like it or not, if you're not pulling in the ELITE of the ELITE freshmen, college hockey is still a development game. UNH's best shot for a quick rebound, IMO, was to bring in as many higher-end talent kids this year as possible, let that talent develop and adjust to the NCAA game and hope they hit on the vast majority of their 'top-end' kids in this and last year's class for Kelleher's senior season. A second-year Blackburn would have given them a better shot and certainly more margin for error in 2016-17...
                Last edited by Dan; 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  If you want to apply this rule, you apply it to someone like Nazarian - a young, slight prospect who has a lot of ability, but has not quite put it all together... since Nazarian is coming, he should play, but he's a huge candidate to get the Umile treatment (5-8, 180, -10 in the USHL last year) that all small, young, 'not ready defensively' players get. Which would leave us with a forward class of one, in Marcus Vela, joining last year's team minus Downing & Willows...
                  I saw Nazarian play in person three times in his final season at Malden Catholic and online twice this season with the Des Moines Buccaneers. My impression is that he is sturdy, rugged and plays physical. He had 12 goals and 16 assists and a +/- rating of -17 with the Bucs last year. In fairness to him, the top 12 scorers on the Bucs all had minus ratings for the season with their leading scorer having a -22. He will be a "true freshman" at UNH in that he graduates from high school next month. He also turns 19 in June so is an "older" true freshman, if you will. Marcus Vela, also a true freshman, doesn't turn 19 until next March. Nazarian may earn meaningful ice time sooner than you think.
                  Last edited by C-H-C; 05-12-2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                    I saw Nazarian play in person three times in his final season at Malden Catholic and online twice this season with the Des Moines Buccaneers. My impression is that he is sturdy, rugged and plays physical. He had 12 goals and 16 assists and a +/- rating of -17 with the Bucs last year. In fairness to him, the top 12 scorers on the Bucs all had minus ratings for the season with their leading scorer having a -22. He will be a "true freshman" at UNH in that he graduates from high school next month. He also turns 19 in June so is an "older" true freshman, if you will. Marcus Vela, also a true freshman, doesn't turn 19 until next March. Nazarian may earn meaningful ice time sooner than you think.
                    Repeated 8th grade

Will be in lineup

Comment

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2018

Ara is a UNH kind of forward and Coach U is very high on him...very excited to see him and expect the kid to play..as for Blackburn he says he's not ready...he and BvR in 2016!! Now can we get some solid D??
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        Repeated 8th grade
                        Was it really necessary to reveal this information in a public forum? Perhaps Ara and his family are OK with sharing this tidbit with the world, but perhaps not, and I'll wager you didn't seek nor get permission from anyone in the Nazarian family to do so. Just because this info. may be common knowledge amongst recruiters, coaches, potential 'family advisers,' etc., doesn't give you carte blanche to broadcast it for all to see. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of their life - warts and all - revealed as an open book, even in this regrettable era of pervasive social media over-exposure; wouldn't a bit of self-censorship here have been a better call? Something tells me you'll not agree with me, but oh, just think how we'd all benefit from knowing how many grades *you* repeated back in the day ...

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                          Was it really necessary to reveal this information in a public forum? Perhaps Ara and his family are OK with sharing this tidbit with the world, but perhaps not, and I'll wager you didn't seek nor get permission from anyone in the Nazarian family to do so. Just because this info. may be common knowledge amongst recruiters, coaches, potential 'family advisers,' etc., doesn't give you carte blanche to broadcast it for all to see. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of their life - warts and all - revealed as an open book, even in this regrettable era of pervasive social media over-exposure; wouldn't a bit of self-censorship here have been a better call? Something tells me you'll not agree with me, but oh, just think how we'd all benefit from knowing how many grades *you* repeated back in the day ...
                          I think you need to relax a little bit.

It is not unusual for in coming college hockey players to have repeated a grade somewhere along the way. It is nothing anybody should have any shame about. In particular when you want to get into a private school sometimes they require you to repeat a grade. I honestly don't know about Malden Catholic but I know students required to repeat a grade (typically freshman year) when they got into private schools.

It is reactions like yours that make this a "bigger deal". Your post immediately assumed that this was some big secretive news that the family would be concerned about being released or discussed, which then leads others to the assumption that there was something wrong causing the repeat.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                            My daughter repeated third grade because her reading skills weren't what they should have been. So she then went on to make the deans list for 8 semesters in chem engineering at UMaine pulling down 2 B's in four years and all the rest A's. That is almost unheard of in that discipline. You think holding her back one year as a kid hurt her much? . She now has a very nice position at Proctor and Gamble's Gillette plant in South Boston.

Best thing that could have happened to her. Point is, being held back a year is not a bad thing
                            Last edited by all bear; 05-19-2015, 05:29 AM.
                            sure why not

Comment

"UNH Recruits Update: Final 2014-15 Stats"

In the Player Spotlight - Joseph Masonius

Comment

According to OTB twitter:

Over The Boards ‏@OTBPuckWatch 2m
                                98 D Jake Ryczek (Sioux City) decommitted from UNH today. Talented, mobile defender from Ludlow, MA likely has lot of Hockey East interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X