X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

Originally posted by JB View Post
    I posted this on the other UNH thread when the "conversation" turned to recruits. Probably fits better over here, wouldn't mind thoughts - maybe I am smoking something funny...

I like to look at college hockey recruits a couple ways:

Age – true freshman tend to need a little more time, some may impact end of freshman year but tend to have a higher ceiling. Older players tend to have a quicker hit but don’t grow as much. Much older players caveat emptor (Travis Banga anyone), late bloomers blow this all to hell but I find it a good indicator.

League/roll – if you don’t score in juniors you tend not to in college. However the BCHL has always been a bit more offensive (but I haven’t tracked lately) so you need to take it with a grain of salt.

Size – each level is bigger and faster and small guys tend to take a little longer to adjust (see Kelleher this year, Haydar being an obvious exception).

So my thoughts not seeing a single one of these guys play:

McNicholas – Nearly came in this year and will be arriving as a 20 year old, 5’ 10” 175, team leading scorer 3rd in goals, 5th in league. To me a little old means more immediate impact, not tiny but most UNH players that height are 185ish so he needs some muscle, I always worry about guys with high points totals due to assists does he have a line mate potting a pile of goals. Vernon has a 30, 26, 23 goal scorers so the spread isn’t crazy.

Eiserman – Will be 18 when he arrives 19 early in the season, 6’2” 200, 5th on team in goal scoring only 5 points back, 4th in goals, 9th in shots taken, ties for team leads at +20. Is he a true freshman? At only 18 when arriving on campus maybe, additionally his birthday is outside the typical 30 day kindergarten/1st grade window so he was likely one of the oldest in his grade not youngest, so I am guessing yes. Size will not be a limitation. Nobody on Dubuque is in the top 20 in USHL in points, hasn’t really shown a scoring touch yet either at NDP or USHL. But leading team in +- seems to indicate a responsible player.

Poturalski - Nearly came in this year and will be arriving as a 20 year old, 5’-10” 185, team leader in scoring by a big margin (59 to 33), team lead in goals and assists, 5th in points in USHL, only a +3. Is an older in coming player but took a big leap forward this year in goals, assists and +-. Cedar Rapids did finish with a .616 record, as a team only +13 and he is clearly the offensive leader. Even as an older player in the USHL to be that much of the offensive leader means attention from other teams. At 185 he is already close to the typical UNH playing weight for a player his size.

Foegele – True freshman hasn’t turned 18 yet (an April Fool…), 6’-1” 182, team leader and league leader in scoring a goal scorer. Young and seems a bit light for height. However the stat that jumps out is goals. He is scoring more than a goal a game and 3 times the goals as assists, is the league leader in goals almost 2 to 1 with 1 fewer game. In the playoffs is a goal a game player. Size a nose for the net is why he is rising so quickly. Question the competition.

Salvaggio – Will be 19 coming in turn 20 early in freshman year, 6-1” 194, 9th in scoring on his team, 5th in goals, bottom 3rd in +-. In points has shown scoring growth over last year but played 3 times the games, so he is actually a little down. Mostly that is on assists. His plus minus is low so you question the defensive side of his game.
    I mentioned this a few days ago when I was in full fledge argument mode. I asked would you rather have ( assuming same skill level ) a bunch of 18 year old freshman , or a bunch of 21 year old freshman. This came about because Union has like twelve 24 year olds and six 23 year olds on their roster. To me this is a no brainer as you go with the more mature , physical older players. Years back in the ncaa's UNH lost to Niagara and R.I.T both with ancient players. This only works if your older dudes stick around and finish college.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
      I mentioned this a few days ago when I was in full fledge argument mode. I asked would you rather have ( assuming same skill level ) a bunch of 18 year old freshman , or a bunch of 21 year old freshman. This came about because Union has like twelve 24 year olds and six 23 year olds on their roster. To me this is a no brainer as you go with the more mature , physical older players. Years back in the ncaa's UNH lost to Niagara and R.I.T both with ancient players. This only works if your older dudes stick around and finish college.
      I honestly think you need a balance of:

1) 18-19 year old high flyers staying a couple years - see JVR
      2) 18-19 year old "college" players - see Steve Saviano
      3) 20-21 year old late bloomers that wont stay - TVR or Trevor Smith
      4) 20-21 year old really late bloomers that stay - Lanny Gare

I just see the best teams having that balance. There is something about mixing the stupidity of youth with some older (potentially pessimistic) influences. It gives you quick hit and staying power.

If you get all NHL first round picks they stay 1 year, may never really bond into a team and leave. It is why older experienced teams can beat younger highly talented teams. Like all sports you need to find a balance of those 4 groups.

Take the Red Sox 2013 vs. 2012. It was all about the mix in 2013, steadying influences vs. youth, long haul team guys mixed with me guys. Or even this year’s Bruins, are they doing as well without the hunger of an Iginla?
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        When I was considering former UNH players who each recruit reminds me of, I was thinking of characteristics like right vs left shot, primary position, body size/shape, speed, offensive and/or defensive skills, and scoring output.

A few thoughts:

Shane Eiserman – He’s a bruising 6’2”, 200 lbs left winger. Radja was smaller and played both wings and center. I don’t think Eiserman will play center, at least not at first. I frankly don’t remember much about Morrow (my kids were infants/toddlers at the time).
        I didn't go with Winnik because he had a more finese than Eiserman, who is pretty limited. I agree that Radja is not a great comp, size wise, but I figure skill/production might be similar (20 points his first two years). Morrow was 6'2, with offensive skills, so more the body type.

Warren Foegele - I think coming in, Foegele is faster than Winnik was (Winnik worked hard on increasing his speed early in his pro career) and has potential to score more goals. At 6’1”, 182 lbs, Foegele may not be done growing. Leblanc was shorter and played center. Foegele may eventually play center but he’s primarily a left winger. I also think he has the potential to score more goals than Leblanc (highest were 14 goals each of last two seasons).
        A though Gare was solid but was more heady than physical skills. I think of Foegele as having better tools, a mix of Winnik and Leblanc. As you say, better skater, not as large a frame. Leblanc came is as a true freshman, and I think Foegele will have greater playing time, but maybe a year ahead in scoring so that he has 15 points as a frosh (that Leblanc had as a soph), and 20-25 points as a soph.

Michael McNicholas – He’s a 5’10”, left shot centerman. Aikins was a right shot and a couple inches taller. There are a lot of similarities with DeSimone but I think McNicholas might end up scoring more goals. DeSimone’s highest at UNH was 10 goals in a season.
        Aikins was a left shot (hockeydb is incorrect), and his game was like McNicholas, setting up plays more than finishing. McNicholas may be taller, has a similar slight frame, and Aikins took 2 years to get good production -- I suspect McNicholas will have similar struggles his freshman year. Also, McNicholas is not a big scorer, only 12 goals in midgets, and a high of 23 in juniors this year.

Dylan Chanter – I hope he’s a more diligent student than Joe Charlebois was.
        That won't be hard. This year was pretty lost, developmentally, but I think his game is starting to round into shape.

All in all, the possibilities are exciting, as we see what the foundation for the next 4 years looks like.

For Salvaggio, probably similar in type to Josh Ciocco -- a good fifth forward recruit, with more skill than just a filler (like our other classes have been rounded out with). Ciocco became a top 2 line guy his senior year, and Salvaggio has the skill to do that, if needed, though you'd hope he is needed only for the 3rd line.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
          I honestly think you need a balance of:

1) 18-19 year old high flyers staying a couple years - see JVR
          2) 18-19 year old "college" players - see Steve Saviano
          3) 20-21 year old late bloomers that wont stay - TVR or Trevor Smith
          4) 20-21 year old really late bloomers that stay - Lanny Gare

I just see the best teams having that balance. There is something about mixing the stupidity of youth with some older (potentially pessimistic) influences.
          My favorite Lanny Gare quote before he got injured his senior year was "Either the courses are getting harder, or I am getting stupider; I am not sure which." Perhaps my most enjoyable hockey practice ever was that Friday afternoon before the NC game in Buffalo, where Ayers was completely confident and Gare was skating all over the rink in his practice jersey retrieving pucks. If only he had been able to play the next day; the guy was a spark plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            My favorite Lanny Gare quote before he got injured his senior year was "Either the courses are getting harder, or I am getting stupider; I am not sure which." Perhaps my most enjoyable hockey practice ever was that Friday afternoon before the NC game in Buffalo, where Ayers was completely confident and Gare was skating all over the rink in his practice jersey retrieving pucks. If only he had been able to play the next day; the guy was a spark plug.
            Ayers was balancing the stick on his chin and going up a down in his butterfly during that practice.

Wasn't Gare the one that said something to the affect of - I would rather be stabbed in Lowell than play for Maine...
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

2015 recruit Danny Tirone named USHL Goalie of the Week:
              http://web.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=2395
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

2015 recruit Danny Tirone named USHL Goalie of the Week:
                http://web.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=2395
                Nice that we got a 6-5 , goalie heading our way

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
                  Ayers was balancing the stick on his chin and going up a down in his butterfly during that practice.

Wasn't Gare the one that said something to the affect of - I would rather be stabbed in Lowell than play for Maine...
                  That's right, JB; Ayers was trying to loosen up his teammates with his stick-balancing act. And, I remember that Lanny quote also, probably from the year before at the Exel Center? :-)

Comment

Joey Cipollone (DOB: 3-29-1997), a 5'10", 180 lbs. forward from the Selects Academy, South Kent School U16 team has committed to UNH. He lead the Selects to the USPHL U16 Championship last month scoring 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 playoff games. During 27 regular season games, Cipollone scored 14 goals, including 3 game-winners, and 25 assists. More info to follow.
                    C-H-C,I thoroughly enjoy your informative posts about our UNH hockey recruits. I was told that Joey Cipollone has a 1999 birth year,which would make him 15 and a legitimate U-16 player. If you contact him for your blog,maybe you could verify his DOB. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TRS49 View Post
                      C-H-C,I thoroughly enjoy your informative posts about our UNH hockey recruits. I was told that Joey Cipollone has a 1999 birth year,which would make him 15 and a legitimate U-16 player. If you contact him for your blog,maybe you could verify his DOB. Thanks
                      Two Joey Cipollone's - '99 is apparently a younger cousin...

Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by TRS49 View Post
                        Thank you for the kind words. I'm finishing up an article on Joey Cipollone which includes an interview with him. The Joey Cipollone who just committed to UNH celebrated his 17th birthday last Saturday. He was born in 1997 and currently plays for the Selects Academy/South Kent School U16 team.

I believe the 1999-born Joe Cipollone is Joey's cousin. He plays for the Connecticut Wolf Pack and used to play for the North Jersey Avalanche, one of Brett Pesce's former teams.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. I'm finishing up an article on Joey Cipollone which includes an interview with him. The Joey Cipollone who just committed to UNH celebrated his 17th birthday last Saturday. He was born in 1997 and currently plays for the Selects Academy/South Kent School U16 team.

I believe the 1999-born Joe Cipollone is Joey's cousin. He plays for the Connecticut Wolf Pack and used to play for the North Jersey Avalanche, one of Brett Pesce's former teams.
                          I don't know why I thought of this or why I find it so entertaining... what if both Cipollone are good enough and decide to play for UNH. They are 2 years apart in age so they both could be on the team at the same time.

What the heck do you do with the name on the back of the uniform? They are both Cipollone, or J. Cipollone, or etc. if I had to guess they are probably both Joseph Cipollone and use Joe/Joey as nick names. Maybe they have different middle names...

Comment

UNH 1966-67

1. Bob Brandt (F) 27 30 18 48 30 |
                            2. Richard David (F) 18 13 16 29 22 |
                            3. Mickey Goulet (D) 26 6 20 26 46 |
                            4. David Savidge (F) 27 11 13 24 12 |
                            5. Graham Bruder (D) 27 7 15 22 8 |
                            6. Bill H. Rothwell (F) 27 7 15 22 15 |
                            7. Dave Sheen (F) 11 9 12 21 8 |
                            8. Colin Sutherland (F) 27 12 8 20 8 |
                            9. Bill J. Rothwell (F) 27 8 10 18 18 |
                            10. Michael Ontkean (F) 27 10 7 17 24 |
                            11. Joe Bartlett (F) 27 6 8 14 46 |
                            12. Bill Noble (D) 22 2 7 9 77 |
                            13. Ken Marchand (F) 15 4 4 8 2 |
                            14. Mark Tully (D) 27 1 5 6 20
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              I don't know why I thought of this or why I find it so entertaining... what if both Cipollone are good enough and decide to play for UNH. They are 2 years apart in age so they both could be on the team at the same time.

What the heck do you do with the name on the back of the uniform? They are both Cipollone, or J. Cipollone, or etc. if I had to guess they are probably both Joseph Cipollone and use Joe/Joey as nick names. Maybe they have different middle names...
                              Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              UNH 1966-67

1. Bob Brandt (F) 27 30 18 48 30 |
                              2. Richard David (F) 18 13 16 29 22 |
                              3. Mickey Goulet (D) 26 6 20 26 46 |
                              4. David Savidge (F) 27 11 13 24 12 |
                              5. Graham Bruder (D) 27 7 15 22 8 |
                              6. Bill H. Rothwell (F) 27 7 15 22 15 |
                              7. Dave Sheen (F) 11 9 12 21 8 |
                              8. Colin Sutherland (F) 27 12 8 20 8 |
                              9. Bill J. Rothwell (F) 27 8 10 18 18 |
                              10. Michael Ontkean (F) 27 10 7 17 24 |
                              11. Joe Bartlett (F) 27 6 8 14 46 |
                              12. Bill Noble (D) 22 2 7 9 77 |
                              13. Ken Marchand (F) 15 4 4 8 2 |
                              14. Mark Tully (D) 27 1 5 6 20
                              What a hoot:-)

The 1999-born Joe Cipollone has received some positive reviews from US Hockey Report. From October, 2013:

"Joseph Cipollone, F, 5-8/125 (Conn. Wolf Pack) ’99 -- Has a knack for finding the puck on his stick and making plays at top speed. Has quick hands. Sees the ice well and distributes the puck nicely."

Comment

The speed you found that is either impressive or disturbing...

So back to the jersey B.J.Rothwell and B.H.Rothwell... yell to them by middle name on the ice?

Comment

Working...
                                X