"UNH Recruit Dylan Chanter Joins Dubuque Fighting Saints"
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

"UNH Recruits Eiserman, Chanter to Play in Junior Club World Cup"

Comment

Congratulations to former UNH Captain Josh Ciocco who is set to become the Assistant Coach at the University of Alaska-Anchorage! Details are available on US Hockey Report.

Comment

From Mike McMahon's twitter.

‏@MikeMcMahonCHN - UNH has picked up a commitment from '95 Rich Boyd, a 6-3 defenseman out of Cushing Academy.

Comment

@UNHRecruitsCHC

#RichieBoyd commits to UNH. Seen him play several times @CushingAcademy. Mobile, offensive Dman. 9g 15a Lancers' draft pick

Look for interview on The UNH Men's Hockey Blog.

With 3 defensemen scheduled to come in the fall of 2014 - Dylan Chanter, Cam Marks, Richie Boyd - this may signal that UNH is preparing for the possibility of losing Brett Pesce, Trevor van Riemsdyk, and Eric Knodel at the end of next season.
            Last edited by C-H-C; 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              With 3 defensemen scheduled to come in the fall of 2014 - Dylan Chanter, Cam Marks, Richie Boyd - this may signal that UNH is preparing for the possibility of losing Brett Pesce, Trevor van Riemsdyk, and Eric Knodel at the end of next season.
              I think that you are most likely correct. But, I am really looking forward to watching these three guys play this coming season.

Comment

Dont forget Agosta will be graduating out next year. I dont think Pesce will leave after next season. He just turned 18 last Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by the geese View Post
                  Dont forget Agosta will be graduating out next year. I dont think Pesce will leave after next season. He just turned 18 last Nov.
                  I think Agosta did not suit up his freshman year so he may have one more year of eligibility after this season.

Comment

What are the ceilings on our defensive recruits then?

If we truly are anticipating losing Pesce and van Riemsdyk after this season then we will be very young on defense and if these guys aren't ready we will have some serious problems. If Agosta graduates with Knodel and doesn't try and use his freshman year as a redshirt our defense looks like this for the 2014-15 season

Maller Cleland
                    Quast Chanter
                    Marks Boyd
                    Randall

So for 2014-15 our defense could have 2 sophomores and 3 freshmen and a walk on that will possibly never play a game in his 4 years of college. Quast is the player that had any action in the past season (3 games). Am I the only one that’s worried?

We will have an amazing defense this coming season. This will not allow the upcoming freshman to get the experience that’s necessary to lead the d corps in the following season.

C-H-C you know a lot more about these recruits when I do so what’s your take? Are these defensemen cant miss players that we can expect to hold down the fort if we have the possible mass exodus after this coming year? I hope the coaching staff has a plan B for the possible departure of this serious talent that could be leaving early.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazedUNHfan View Post
                      What are the ceilings on our defensive recruits then?

If we truly are anticipating losing Pesce and van Riemsdyk after this season then we will be very young on defense and if these guys aren't ready we will have some serious problems. If Agosta graduates with Knodel and doesn't try and use his freshman year as a redshirt our defense looks like this for the 2014-15 season

Maller Cleland
                      Quast Chanter
                      Marks Boyd
                      Randall

So for 2014-15 our defense could have 2 sophomores and 3 freshmen and a walk on that will possibly never play a game in his 4 years of college. Quast is the player that had any action in the past season (3 games). Am I the only one that’s worried?

We will have an amazing defense this coming season. This will not allow the upcoming freshman to get the experience that’s necessary to lead the d corps in the following season.

C-H-C you know a lot more about these recruits when I do so what’s your take? Are these defensemen cant miss players that we can expect to hold down the fort if we have the possible mass exodus after this coming year? I hope the coaching staff has a plan B for the possible departure of this serious talent that could be leaving early.
                      The incoming defensemen - Matias Cleland & Dylan Maller this fall; Dylan Chanter, Cam Marks, and Richie Boyd projected for Fall 2014 - will all be 19 years old during their freshman year at UNH. I hesitate to predict how each player will perform when they get to UNH - that's a job for real scouts. Here's my quick take on each - I'll have more details on Cleland and Maller in an upcoming post on the blog.

Matias Cleland - Played 2 years in USHL. Last season was Captain of Omaha Lancers and finished tied for 4th in scoring among all USHL defensemen. Had a big jump in scoring last season. I anticipate he'll be a solid 5th or 6th defenseman this season and a mainstay his sophomore year.

Dylan Maller - Played 2 years in USHL. A big defenseman with terrific speed up and down the ice. May not see as much ice time as Cleland in freshman year but has a lot of potential. Was listed as a "B Prospect" by NHL Central Scouting in 2010.

Dylan Chanter - Played 2 seasons in BCHL and was leading scorer among Merritt Cents defensemen last year. Is playing for Dubuque Fighting Saints this season with hopes of attracting more attention from NHL scouts. He may very well become a Hockey East All-Star before his UNH career is over.

Cam Marks - Has only played one season in BCHL. Has a lot of potential - his midget major coach described him as similar to Joey Laleggia but with more size.

Richie Boyd - Another tall (6'3"), mobile defenseman who can score. Last year, US Hockey Report said this:
                      "Character player who defends with an edge and has an absolute bomb of a shot. Thinks the game quicker than his brothers, both Cushing grads."
                      Richie's older brother R.J. Boyd plays for Michigan State and was a Florida Panthers draft pick.

One other factor to keep in mind - all of these recruits will be coached by Jim Tortorella who is one of the best defensive coaches in Division 1.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                        I think Agosta did not suit up his freshman year so he may have one more year of eligibility after this season.
                        I was wondering about this too, because it also applies to Knodel who did not play his freshman year. Do they still have one more year of eligibility if they choose to use it?
                        UNH

Comment

Sounds promising for defense recruits. I am more concerned about forwards who can find the back of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Sounds promising for defense recruits. I am more concerned about forwards who can find the back of the net.
                            I'm way too biased with this kid because I've seen him play several times and followed his US NTDP career closely, but - I think Tyler Kelleher may become one of the Top 10-15 forwards to ever play for UNH.

Shane Eiserman, who's on target to come in the Fall of 2014, is (as described by Josh Ciocco) a "stud" who also has outstanding scoring potential.

Comment

"UNH Recruit Profile: Rich Boyd"

If Rich Boyd plays a season for the Omaha Lancers in the USHL after he graduates from Cushing Academy this year, he would be on track to enroll at UNH in the Fall of 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                "UNH Recruit Profile: Rich Boyd"

If Rich Boyd plays a season for the Omaha Lancers in the USHL after he graduates from Cushing Academy this year, he would be on track to enroll at UNH in the Fall of 2015.
                                Thank you for all the great info. Since Boyd believes that he is going to be on campus in the fall of 2015 I would assume that the coaching staff has knowledge that at least one of Pesce, TVR, or Agosta will be back for the fall of 2014. I personally hope that we can get 2 of them back to sure up our defense and help us continue to be a contender in hockey east and the national championship.

I am very excited about the team for 2013. We will have a great defense, a solid offense, and stellar and hopefully less volatile goaltending from Desmith. I was worried about 2014-15 but the fact that the coaching staff doesn't seem to be in a rush to get another defenseman for 2014 makes me think that we won't lose Pesce.

Comment

Working...
                                X