Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2016

Goaltending help on the way.....well sort of. UNH will bring Danny Tirone in for the second semester. In the meantime Cedar Rapids will trade Tirone to an east coast Jr team so he can get a vast number of starts before enrolling at UNH.

Quote Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
    Goaltending help on the way.....well sort of. UNH will bring Danny Tirone in for the second semester. In the meantime Cedar Rapids will trade Tirone to an east coast Jr team so he can get a vast number of starts before enrolling at UNH.
    Taking the long view, is this a good thing? Assuming he's the next coming of Conklin/Ayers/Regan, or even Dryden, what position is the team in when he arrives? Is it worth a full year of eligibility to pick up a few wins when you're struggling to get to 0.500? On paper this team has some potential, but that requires a lot of underclassmen to perform like veterans right away. Seems shortsighted to me.
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government ..."

Thomas Jefferson

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Quote Originally Posted by Aerman View Post
    Taking the long view, is this a good thing? Assuming he's the next coming of Conklin/Ayers/Regan, or even Dryden, what position is the team in when he arrives? Is it worth a full year of eligibility to pick up a few wins when you're struggling to get to 0.500? On paper this team has some potential, but that requires a lot of underclassmen to perform like veterans right away. Seems shortsighted to me.
    Agree totally. At best, you have a solid goalie tandem for the next 4 seasons (or technically 3.5 seasons). At worst, you hold back the development of one if not both 'keepers, and run the risk of "burning" a yesr of Tirone's eligibility this year when instead it could be more useful to UNH (and Tirone) if it was "saved" for after Clark's senior season.

I don't want to read too much into this, but one possibility is Coach Umile may not be making any plans for after 2018.
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

No question that you bring him in early. You are not burning a year, you are getting the year when they need him most -- the 28 games and playoffs of second semester. You have a big need, and with DeSmith's scholly probably being pulled, you have the money. You also are not putting pressure on Clark. It is a no brainer. The only issue for 2018 is that you are no longer staggering goalies by year, and have to bring in two freshmen--unless something else happens.

Sr.Thrush-- So.Kelleher - Sr.Willows
    Fr.Eiserman- Sr.Downing -Jr.Correale
    Fr.Foegele - Fr. Poturalski -- Jr.Smith
    Fr.Salvaggio- Fr.McNicholas - Jr.Gaudreault
    Jr.Hill -- Sr.Camper -- Jr. MacDonald
    So.Bourque

Jr.Pesce - Fr.Fugele
    So.Cleland - Fr.Marks
    So.Maller - Fr.Chanter
    Fr.Boyd - Jr.Quast
    Sr.Randall
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; Yesterday at 08:08 AM.
    "Football legend Bill Walsh used to say that coaches and executives should seek change after 10 years with the same team. The theory is that both the individual and the organization benefit from a change after so much time together. the organization gets a fresh perspective, and the chance for true change that comes with new leadership." Theo Epstein

After age 30, "People get stuck in [rigid] thought paterns, just like grooves in a record, and they never get out of them." Steve Jobs

Clark-Hislop-Cox

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    No question that you bring him in early. You are not burning a year, you are getting the year when they need him most -- the 28 games and playoffs of second semester. You have a big need, and with DeSmith's scholly probably being pulled, you have the money. You also are not putting pressure on Clark.
    Other advantages include:
    ~ They're bringing Tirone back to New England (with the Junior Bruins) where he can readily work with his goalie coaches at Mike Buckley's Goalie Development Services (GDS).
    ~ Absolute best case scenario is Adam Clark has an outstanding freshman season and Danny Tirone doesn't have to play in any games in the second semester. That way, Tirone doesn't use up a year of eligibility and he gets in all that practice time with the team (in addition to the half-season of action in the USPHL).

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    No question that you bring him in early. You are not burning a year, you are getting the year when they need him most -- the 28 games and playoffs of second semester. You have a big need, and with DeSmith's scholly probably being pulled, you have the money. You also are not putting pressure on Clark. It is a no brainer. ...
    I count 17 games first semester, 14 second, and three during the break - don't believe he would be a student, and therefore eligible, until classes start. So they start "well," are 8-12 when Tirone joins the team, finish a strong 10-4, wind up 5th in HE, win two series, lose at the Garden and hit the links. OR, finish 7-7, wind up 7th, win one series and hit the links.

Still looks to me like you wasted a year, if he's that good. If he's an average goalie, it makes no difference. But then, I'm just another guy in the stands who never played the game.

I vote for C-H-C's second "advantage."
    Last edited by Aerman; Yesterday at 08:42 AM.
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government ..."

Thomas Jefferson

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

I count 17 games first semester, 14 second, and three during the break - don't believe he would be a student, and therefore eligible, until classes start. So they start "well," are 8-12 when Tirone joins the team, finish a strong 10-4, wind up 5th in HE, win two series, lose at the Garden and hit the links. OR, finish 7-7, wind up 7th, win one series and hit the links.
    Love the optimism. I may question your sanity, but I can't fault your attitude.

Still looks to me like you wasted a year, if he's that good. If he's an average goalie, it makes no difference. But then, I'm just another guy in the stands who never played the game.
    Agreed, still feels like a wasted year to me. But I've never seen either kid play, so time will tell I suppose. As 'watcher does point out, it just goes against the "staggering" approach Coach Umile has used in the past.

Old dog, new tricks?
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

I vote for C-H-C's second "advantage."
    He could play over break provided he is registered for at least 12 credits for spring semester prior to competition

Thread Information