Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Women’s DI Hockey Longest Games

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    W/o looking at your list, Cornell and BU in the NCAA quarter five years ago immediately comes to mind.
    Yes, one of just three times a goalie has been replaced in the 87 games on the list.

Thanks for keeping this current Sean.
    I'm happy to, although I have no idea how many people have actually looked at the new version of the list.

Also, please let me know if any of the links I have included become broken. When I was updating it with a link to the Daily Princetonian I noticed that none of my links to their online articles worked. It turns out they changed their URLs from using /sports/ to using /article/ in the full path. I have made the change for all the affected articles and as of today they are working.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I finally made it to the library and found box scores for the 1st, 17th and 48th games on the list. The information I had about the 48th game, the 1997 UNH-PC ECAC semifinal had the game lasting 73:09, but the box score shows it lasted 73:25, so it moved up from 50th to 48th on the list. I was also able to add the player who scored the winning goal and the two goalies to the list.

I also added a historical column between the Rank and Time columns on the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games list. The new column (RWF) gives the position of the game on the all-time list at the time the game ended. It allows you to see where the game once placed on the list and how far, if at all, it as moved down over the years.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

There were 2 double overtime games today: BC-UVM which finished in 34th, before dropping to 35th, and the UMD-UM game, which finished in 23rd. I have updated my Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games list to include both. They were the 2nd and 3rd 70+ minute games this season. That's 5 straight seasons with at least 3 such games and 11 out of the last 12 with at least 3 such games.

1982 - 1
        1987 - 1
        1996 - 2
        1997 - 1
        1999 - 1
        2000 - 2
        2001 - 1
        2002 - 1
        2003 - 2
        2004 - 1
        2005 - 4
        2006 - 4
        2007 - 5
        2009 - 3
        2010 - 6
        2011 - 4
        2012 - 2
        2013 - 5
        2014 - 5
        2015 - 4
        2016 - 7
        2017 - 3

This is also the 6th straight season with multiple 80+ minute games.

2011 - 0
        2012 - 2
        2013 - 3
        2014 - 4
        2015 - 2
        2016 - 3
        2017 - 3

Sean

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          I finally made it to the library and found box scores for the 1st, 17th and 48th games on the list.
          Wow, impressive
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Despite my requests for feedback on the new version of my Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games list I have only received 2 comments in the past year. One was positive and one was negative, so at this point I am wondering if it is worth my effort to maintain the list.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Despite my requests for feedback on the new version of my Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games list I have only received 2 comments in the past year. One was positive and one was negative, so at this point I am wondering if it is worth my effort to maintain the list.

Sean
              I've learned that covering this sport is often a labor of love.

Personally I think all interesting stats are worth the effort to maintain.

Comment

Sean
                During one of the OT games last weekend (ie nine or ten days ago) I was already wondering where it would be on your list. I am very happy that such a list exists. Thank you for the work it must take.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  Personally I think all interesting stats are worth the effort to maintain.
                  Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  During one of the OT games last weekend (ie nine or ten days ago) I was already wondering where it would be on your list. I am very happy that such a list exists. Thank you for the work it must take.
                  Thank you both for your positive comments.

robertearle, it is actually easier to update the basic information now that it is in a spreadsheet. Finding articles and linking them is a bit more work, however, I think that makes the list more useful, even if some of the articles don't add much information. The spreadsheet format also allows one to search and/or filter the list for specific teams, players, games, etc. For example, Harvard is on the list 20 times out of 90 games.

Also, your comment about looking to see where a game is on the list brings up a question about how many games should be listed. USCHO only maintains a list of the top 50 men's longest games. As can be seen I have let the women's list grow and it has now reached 90 games. I have been thinking I might cap it at the top 100 longest games, but I would welcome others opinions. Should the list be capped at the top 50? The top 100? Or should every game longer than 65 minutes be listed?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I have been thinking I might cap it at the top 100 longest games, but I would welcome others opinions. Should the list be capped at the top 50? The top 100? Or should every game longer than 65 minutes be listed?
                    Sean
                    Although the Top 50 would be sufficient, having a Top 100 would be very cool assuming it wouldn't be too much work for you.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Although the Top 50 would be sufficient, having a Top 100 would be very cool assuming it wouldn't be too much work for you.
                      What he said.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        What he said.
                        Adding, if the game you're maybe interested in looking up on the list has fallen off the list because it moved down past 50, etc., that tells you it isn't all that 'rare' or 'historic' anymore, no?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Adding, if the game you're maybe interested in looking up on the list has fallen off the list because it moved down past 50, etc., that tells you it isn't all that 'rare' or 'historic' anymore, no?
                          As the history of the game grows, games outside the top 50, while perhaps not rare, could still be significant. It serves as a nice repository for information that isn't easily found anywhere else. A game may not rank in the top 50, but it could be the longest game involving Yale, to pick an arbitrary team.

Sean, please keep doing what you do. Due to the nature of our society, people are far more likely to comment when they don't like something. I'm sure a lot of guests read your thread and learn something interesting, but they are necessarily going to create a login just to tell you so. Your work has value.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

As the history of the game grows, games outside the top 50, while perhaps not rare, could still be significant. It serves as a nice repository for information that isn't easily found anywhere else. A game may not rank in the top 50, but it could be the longest game involving Yale, to pick an arbitrary team.
                            That is what I was thinking as well when I created the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet last year. I had been keeping the complete list of all games longer than 65 minutes, but had only been posting the top 50 games here. However, once I decided to put the information into a spreadsheet, in a similar format that USCHO uses for the longest men's games, I figured I would just include all the games since I already had the information. Besides adding the historical game ranking and goalies I have added a second sheet with all the information split out into separate columns so it is easier to sort and filter the information. For example you now can easily see Harvard has the most wins (12) and most losses (8), or that Bright has hosted the most games (9).

Due to the nature of our society, people are far more likely to comment when they don't like something.
                            Yes, that has been very clear reading the BU men's thread this season.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Bump

Comment

Hey Sean, here's one for you as a sort of reference point...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...game-1.4023566

Comment

Working...
                                X