NCAA Women’s DI Hockey Longest Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Women’s DI Hockey Longest Games

Is BC's only loss the FF game against the undefeated Gophers? Wow...
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Is BC's only loss the FF game against the undefeated Gophers? Wow...
      No, it's the double OT loss to UMD. BC lost so quickly to UM that it didn't make the list.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        No, it's the double OT loss to UMD. BC lost so quickly to UM that it didn't make the list.
        So was Clarkson's loss to BC in 2016.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          No, it's the double OT loss to UMD.
          OH GOD NO just reading this post gives me PTSD
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I have update the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with both of yesterday's games. The Clarkson-Ohio State game came in at 44th overall before being dropped to 45th a few hours later. The Colgate-Wisconsin game came in at 19th longest overall, 6th longest NCAA game, 2nd longest Frozen Four game and longest Frozen Four semifinal game. Also, with the two games Ridder Arena has now tied Bright-Landry for most games on the list with 9 each.

I have also modified sheet 3 so that the wins and losses and total games are counted automatically as I add new games, so no chance of errors.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I have updated the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with today's championship game. The game only came in tied for 85th (with another Colgate game), but it puts Ridder Arena first for most games on the list with 10.

Sean
              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-29-2020, 11:34 PM.

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I didn't update the spreadsheet last year, but I have just uploaded an updated version. However, the St. Anselm-Franklin Pierce game, along with the Beanpot championship game, have me wanting to hear how they should be handled. St. Anselm and Franklin Pierce are both D2 teams, but are now playing a mixed D1/D2 schedule. Should the game be added to the list? What about a mixed D1/D2 game (in 2017-18 Holy Cross and Franklin Pierce went to double overtime, but I didn't add it to the list)? And should the Beanpot championship game be on the list (I have put it on the list)?

I would appreciate any and all opinions on the matter. The list is not for me, but for use by everyone (despite it not being used by the USCHO staff).

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  However, the St. Anselm-Franklin Pierce game, along with the Beanpot championship game, have me wanting to hear how they should be handled. St. Anselm and Franklin Pierce are both D2 teams, but are now playing a mixed D1/D2 schedule. Should the game be added to the list? What about a mixed D1/D2 game (in 2017-18 Holy Cross and Franklin Pierce went to double overtime, but I didn't add it to the list)? And should the Beanpot championship game be on the list (I have put it on the list)?

I would appreciate any and all opinions on the matter.
                  I think that you should feel free to do whatever makes sense to you and is in keeping with the format that you envisioned when starting the list. One possibility would be to include such games, but include an asterisk or some such designation for D2 teams. I'm fine with whatever you decide to do. And thanks for doing it!

Comment

I didn't update the spreadsheet last year, but I have just uploaded an updated version. However, the St. Anselm-Franklin Pierce game, along with the Beanpot championship game, have me wanting to hear how they should be handled. St. Anselm and Franklin Pierce are both D2 teams, but are now playing a mixed D1/D2 schedule. Should the game be added to the list? What about a mixed D1/D2 game (in 2017-18 Holy Cross and Franklin Pierce went to double overtime, but I didn't add it to the list)? And should the Beanpot championship game be on the list (I have put it on the list)?

I would appreciate any and all opinions on the matter. The list is not for me, but for use by everyone (despite it not being used by the USCHO staff).

Sean
                    Sean - FP & St. A's are eligible for the NCAA National Collegiate Championship. I'd include the game with no asterisk.

The Beanpot used an approved NCAA overtime format. I'd include it but with a footnote that the OT was 5+20.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                      Bemidji,St Cloud,UMD,Mercyhurst,Merrimack are all div 2 schools

Sacred Heart,LIU Brooklyn are div 1 schools

WCHA schools play 12-16 games/year minimum against div 2 schools...I would think you would include them ....

Comment

• Re: NCAA Women’s DI Hockey Longest Games

Originally posted by mnwis View Post
                        The context here is women's hockey, not football, basketball, or any other unrelated sport. UMD has won eight NCAA titles in hockey over the last two decades, so it proves a point that what matters is a school's hockey programs, not the overall size of its annual athletic budget.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The Beanpot used an approved NCAA overtime format. I'd include it but with a footnote that the OT was 5+20.
                          That's what I did, and also that the 2nd 20-minute overtime was not officially recognized by the NCAA.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Sean - FP & St. A's are eligible for the NCAA National Collegiate Championship. I'd include the game with no asterisk.
                          Originally posted by mnwis View Post

Sacred Heart,LIU Brooklyn are div 1 schools

WCHA schools play 12-16 games/year minimum against div 2 schools...I would think you would include them ....
                          Thanks for your thoughts.

Merrimack is transitioning to D1 in all sports but as far as I know, before that, they played as a D1 hockey team and followed all D1 rules and regulations. I also believe the other D2 schools also follow all D1 rules and regulations. Here is the pertinent rule from the D1 manual:

20.8 Eligibility for National Collegiate and Division Championships.
                          20.8.1 Eligibility for National Collegiate Championships. [#]
                          Separate championships in each division are not sponsored in the following sports: (Adopted: 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 10/30/14 effective 8/1/15,
                          7/31/15)
                          Women's Beach Volleyball
                          Women's Gymnastics
                          Men's Volleyball
                          Women's Bowling
                          Women's Ice Hockey
                          Men's Water Polo
                          Men's and Women's Fencing
                          Men's and Women's Rifle
                          Women's Water Polo
                          Men's Gymnastics
                          Men's and Women's Skiing
                          An active member institution in good standing, regardless of division, is eligible for the National Collegiate Championships if a division championship in the respective sport is not offered in its division. Such an institution normally is required to meet only the institutional and individual eligibility requirements of its division that govern the sport in question.

So, my question is do the NEWHA D2 teams met the D1 eligibility requirements, like I presume the D2 schools mentioned do? Or do they follow D2 eligibility requirements? I also don't know about Lindenwood, another D2 school. All the D2 men's teams that play up must follow the D1 eligibility requirements:

20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship Is Conducted. An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                          20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw 20.9.1.1. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)

Also, looking at their schedules shows Franklin Pierce only played 3 D1 non-conference games and 8 D3 non-conference games, while St. Anselm only played 4 D1 non-conference games and 6 D3 non-conference games. Some of that might be the teams having a hard time finding D1 teams willing to play them, but LIU did pretty well, as did Sacred Heart.

As I said, opinions are wanted and are being considered.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

That's what I did, and also that the 2nd 20-minute overtime was not officially recognized by the NCAA.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Merrimack is transitioning to D1 in all sports but as far as I know, before that, they played as a D1 hockey team and followed all D1 rules and regulations. I also believe the other D2 schools also follow all D1 rules and regulations. Here is the pertinent rule from the D1 manual:

20.8 Eligibility for National Collegiate and Division Championships.
                            20.8.1 Eligibility for National Collegiate Championships. [#]
                            Separate championships in each division are not sponsored in the following sports: (Adopted: 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 10/30/14 effective 8/1/15,
                            7/31/15)
                            Women's Beach Volleyball
                            Women's Gymnastics
                            Men's Volleyball
                            Women's Bowling
                            Women's Ice Hockey
                            Men's Water Polo
                            Men's and Women's Fencing
                            Men's and Women's Rifle
                            Women's Water Polo
                            Men's Gymnastics
                            Men's and Women's Skiing
                            An active member institution in good standing, regardless of division, is eligible for the National Collegiate Championships if a division championship in the respective sport is not offered in its division. Such an institution normally is required to meet only the institutional and individual eligibility requirements of its division that govern the sport in question.

So, my question is do the NEWHA D2 teams met the D1 eligibility requirements, like I presume the D2 schools mentioned do? Or do they follow D2 eligibility requirements? I also don't know about Lindenwood, another D2 school. All the D2 men's teams that play up must follow the D1 eligibility requirements:

20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship Is Conducted. An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                            20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw 20.9.1.1. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)

Also, looking at their schedules shows Franklin Pierce only played 3 D1 non-conference games and 8 D3 non-conference games, while St. Anselm only played 4 D1 non-conference games and 6 D3 non-conference games. Some of that might be the teams having a hard time finding D1 teams willing to play them, but LIU did pretty well, as did Sacred Heart.

As I said, opinions are wanted and are being considered.

Sean
                            https://www.saintanselmhawks.com/gen...20190904fkoq4q
                            ^^The NEWHA was officially recognized as an NCAA Division I women's ice hockey conference prior to the 2019-20 season.

https://www.uscho.com/2018/09/26/new...ey-conference/
                            ^^NEWHA member schools have unanimously agreed to adhere to NCAA Division I recruiting rules (as of the 2018-19 season).
                            Last edited by HawksHockey; 02-24-2020, 11:28 AM. Reason: Clarified the season of the official NCAA notification

Comment

Originally posted by HawksHockey View Post
                              https://www.saintanselmhawks.com/gen...20190904fkoq4q
                              ^^The NEWHA was officially recognized as an NCAA Division I women's ice hockey conference prior to the 2019-20 season.

https://www.uscho.com/2018/09/26/new...ey-conference/
                              ^^NEWHA member schools have unanimously agreed to adhere to NCAA Division I recruiting rules (as of the 2018-19 season).
                              Thanks for the links. I was aware of the league requesting to be recognized and awarded an autobid, but I didn't remember it being as a D1 league. I also didn't recall that they will all follow the D1 recruiting rules. I think that is enough to include the game on my D1 list.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                The context here is women's hockey, not football, basketball, or any other unrelated sport. UMD has won eight NCAA titles in hockey over the last two decades, so it proves a point that what matters is a school's hockey programs, not the overall size of its annual athletic budget.

Not sure why you bring up other sports,..

The NCAA lists those schools as D2, just because they participate in the National Collegiate Women's Hockey does not make the schools D1...I am glad they allow these schools to participate including the NEWHA...hopefully St Thomas moves forward to D2 also...For that matter, I would enjoy it if plattsburgh and a couple of others would move to D2

Comment

Working...
                                X