Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
    You see 15 goals.

I see a lack of goaltending and defense.
    Well, it was two games within a game. The 1st game was 7-7 and the 2nd game was 1-0. So, there was definitely stronger goaltending and defense as the game went on. Slebodnick made some key, huge saves at the end of regulation, including a break away.

Comment

Re: NCAA Quarterfinals: North Dakota @ Minnesota

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
      Well, it was two games within a game. The 1st game was 7-7 and the 2nd game was 1-0. So, there was definitely stronger goaltending and defense as the game went on. Slebodnick made some key, huge saves at the end of regulation, including a break away.
      Exactly the point that I was going to make before seeing your post. Maybe the previous poster didn't watch the game but even so, he/she could have easily deduced that the "second game" was quite different than the first. The negative view of the second game would be "you see great goaltending and defence, I see a lack of offence since it took an entire game for someone, anyone, to score a goal". But that would be ignoring the other "half" of the game just as the poster's comment did.

The point, of course, is that this game displayed so many aspects of the game of hockey in a back and forth battle and by two extremely talented teams each of which has several world class players on its roster. And each team gave it everything they had...each overcame what appeared at the time to be an insurmountable lead...all of which ended in a dead heat at the end of the first game, propelling them into a marathon second game that for all intents and purposes was as close on all levels to also being a dead heat as is humanly possible...there was nothing more to give...physically, mentally or emotionally.

How a hockey fan can not appreciate and be in awe of such a game, such an effort, is beyond me.

One more minor point...these women don't get paid to do this.

Comment

What struck me yesterday is that MN just has more "finishers" than UND. Other than Karvinen, (who was excellent) and the Lams, most of UND's shots were flips, mis-fires, low velocity shots that Raty handled easily. If MN continues to work this hard and transitions effectively to utilize their speed, they may very well be the favorite next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by puckskillz View Post
          Other than Karvinen, (who was excellent) and the Lams, ...
          From what I've seen this season, I think Jakobsen belongs on the list as well, but I agree that Minnesota brings more scoring potential farther down the forward lines, and definitely from the blue line.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Women's NCAA Ice Hockey Champions,by conference:

CHA None
            ECAC None
            HEA None
            WCHA 11 (2001-2011)

Comment

From what I saw, I actually thought North Dakota played even or possibly slightly better than the Gophers in the 1st, but fell apart in the 2nd. Minnesota does have more finishers, but I have to give ALOT of credit to the Gopher D to only allow those easy shots directed towards Raty. The game was completely different from the WCHA semi-final. People forget they finished 3rd in the WCHA, had the top offense in the WCHA, and still got beat 5-1 by the Gophers. I wouldn't say UND played awful on Saturday, they just lost to a better team. Bash on UND if you'd like, but they'll be back next year and their weaknesses (D and Goaltending) will improve if you glance at the incoming class. Props to UM and UND both.

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
              WCHA Playoff Champions:
              NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
              NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by northhockey View Post
                The game was completely different from the WCHA semi-final. People forget they finished 3rd in the WCHA, had the top offense in the WCHA, and still got beat 5-1 by the Gophers. I wouldn't say UND played awful on Saturday, they just lost to a better team.
                Even the WCHA semi, where UND played worse than they did yesterday, wasn't really a 6-goal game. IMO, the separation between the teams is somewhere between a goal and two goals. Somedays, UM wins by a little more, other days, things line up better for NoDak and they can win.

I agree with you on next year. UND graduates a number of seniors, but I don't think they get hit as hard as the other teams in the top six in the league. The regular season champ in the WCHA could be any of four different teams depending on how things unfold.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Even the WCHA semi, where UND played worse than they did yesterday, wasn't really a 6-goal game. IMO, the separation between the teams is somewhere between a goal and two goals. Somedays, UM wins by a little more, other days, things line up better for NoDak and they can win.

I agree with you on next year. UND graduates a number of seniors, but I don't think they get hit as hard as the other teams in the top six in the league. The regular season champ in the WCHA could be any of four different teams depending on how things unfold.
                  Yeah, next year should be another great season for the WCHA. Until then, UM please win the next two games and keep the easterners at bay!

WCHA Playoff Champions:
                  NCAA Championships:

Comment

Yeah, next year should be another great season for the WCHA. Until then, UM please win the next two games and keep the easterners at bay!
                    YES please! my god shut them up! i have never seen a group with higher self esteem- with no hardware to back it up! let's keep ot that way

Comment

wasn't really a 6-goal game. IMO, the separation between the teams is somewhere between a goal and two goals.
                      Someone call Common Man! Is it too late to enter the Preposterous Statement contest? If UND's goaltending wasn't so good that game would have been 12-1.

Comment

From what I saw, I actually thought North Dakota played even or possibly slightly better than the Gophers in the 1st, but fell apart in the 2nd. Minnesota does have more finishers, but I have to give ALOT of credit to the Gopher D to only allow those easy shots directed towards Raty.
                        I agree that UND played pretty well, but not that the first period was anything close to even. North Dakota had exactly one good scoring chance and that came when the puck took a fluky bounce off of Bailey Gillanders skate. The Gophers had two breakaways (although one of them was by Amanda Kessel, which is one of the least dangerous things in the league; I have never seen an elite scorer who was as bad on breakaways as Kessel is) and several other good chances down low. And goaltending is part of a team's play, and West's goal was ridiculously soft.

Then again, I thought that UND played pretty well in the WCHA semifinal, too. They played more aggressively in the NCAA game, but I'm not sure that they played better. I just think that they got run over by a train. The Gophers are at the top of their game at the moment, which I hope that they can keep up for six more days. In the end, I think the gap between these two teams is actually pretty large. In Minnesota's four wins, they outscored the Whioux 23-5. North Dakota's two wins were a 2-1 overtime game and what was essentially a 1-0 game stolen by Dagfinrud, with two empty net goals tacked on. (The first of those wasn't technically empty net, as Räty hadn't reached the bench, but she was nowhere near the net.)

What is true, or more likely was true, is that for a couple of obvious reasons, North Dakota was able to get into the Gophers' heads over the last two years. There have been times that we were trying to play against the Lamoureux twins rather playing against North Dakota. That was clearly what happened in the overtime game. Another Gopher fan has it right, I think, that that edge got wiped out by one play. I don't know why, but everything seemed to change after Megan Bozek turned the entire North Dakota team into pylons halfway through the second period the next night, skated the puck the entire length of the rink and fed Kessel, who buried the shot. (Not a breakaway, of course.)

That one play seemed to really get the Gophers going and they haven't slowed down since. The way Minnesota is playing at the moment, North Dakota just can't stay with them. If we keep playing like this (and it's a really big "if" when your talking about sustaining this level of performance over a period of four weeks), the Gophers have to be the favorite this coming weekend. We'll see whether they can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          I have never seen an elite scorer who was as bad on breakaways as Kessel is...
                          Gigi had her struggles early in her career. The former #19 used to make so many moves so fast that the goalies didn't have time to react to any of them and were still in position when it came time to shoot.

... West's goal was ridiculously soft.
                          Yes and no. The screen was pretty good, because neither the goalie nor the goal judge moved in the least as the puck went in.

Comment

Yes and no. The screen was pretty good, because neither the goalie nor the goal judge moved in the least as the puck went in.
                            The screen was also really high. And I generally expect goalies to have better reaction times than goal judges. Was it there? Yes. Should it have led to a goal? Not a chance. The wasn't that hard, it didn't deflect off of anything, and the puck was perfectly visible from the top of the circles all the way in.

Comment

The screen was also really high. And I generally expect goalies to have better reaction times than goal judges. Was it there? Yes. Should it have led to a goal? Not a chance. The wasn't that hard, it didn't deflect off of anything, and the puck was perfectly visible from the top of the circles all the way in.
                              Both of her D passed in front of her just as West shot (low, not high), so she didn't even realize that a shot was coming. It wasn't a matter of reaction time; she never moved. Usually a goalie that can't see the puck fans out just in case, but she looked like she didn't even think a shot was imminent. Obviously Idalski agreed with you, because he yanked her.

Comment

I thought it was Ney's fault on that goal. That is a soft goal and to do that on the first shot of the first ever ncaa game..c'mon son!

WCHA Playoff Champions:
                                NCAA Championships:

Comment

Working...
                                X