Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching vacancies 2012

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    Do we think that Elmira or Amherst is the more plum Division 3 coaching job? Seems like recruiting would potentially be easier at Elmira.
    Tough to say one is an easier place to recruit than the other, the issue comes down to the type of athlete one is recruiting. Apples to Apples a school like Elmira has much more flexibility fitting an athlete into their admissions process, both academically and financially, than Amherst. For athletes that do not aspire to obtain a degree from a school like Amherst, then of course Elmira would have a recruiting edge. On the other hand, in a non-revenue sport like women's hockey, there is a higher percentage of recruits who put academics higher on the priority list. For those girls, a school like Amherst (consistently ranked #1 or #2 academically and with a record of success in womens hockey at least equal to Elmira's) would be a magnet, and that is a recruiting strength that Elmira cannot match.

I think, given the continuing success of the traditional top programs, the Elmira's, Platty's, Norwich's, Amherst's and Middlebury's seem to keep coming up with superior talent. At least for the time being it would seem there are enough players in both categories to keep both types of schools fully stocked.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
      Tough to say one is an easier place to recruit than the other, the issue comes down to the type of athlete one is recruiting. Apples to Apples a school like Elmira has much more flexibility fitting an athlete into their admissions process, both academically and financially, than Amherst. For athletes that do not aspire to obtain a degree from a school like Amherst, then of course Elmira would have a recruiting edge. On the other hand, in a non-revenue sport like women's hockey, there is a higher percentage of recruits who put academics higher on the priority list. For those girls, a school like Amherst (consistently ranked #1 or #2 academically and with a record of success in womens hockey at least equal to Elmira's) would be a magnet, and that is a recruiting strength that Elmira cannot match.

I think, given the continuing success of the traditional top programs, the Elmira's, Platty's, Norwich's, Amherst's and Middlebury's seem to keep coming up with superior talent. At least for the time being it would seem there are enough players in both categories to keep both types of schools fully stocked.
      Agree with everything you wrote. Given that, do you think Amherst or Elmira is likely more attractive to a potential D3 head coach (assuming they are applying to both and have no specific pre-existing allegiance to one - alumnus, etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
        Kivi is the only name I can think of. Have any alumnae been coaching Canadian teams? Elmira would be a lot of program for an inexperienced coach.
        Kivi is now head coach at Marian, don't think she would give up on them just yet, even though she hasn't coached a game yet. First thought when I heard about Fargo though was how much I wish the timing would have worked out for her to apply for the Elmira job. Great girl.
        Elmira College '08
        The name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back....Go Elmira College Women's Hockey 11-12

Comment

Originally posted by EC724 View Post
          Kivi is now head coach at Marian, don't think she would give up on them just yet, even though she hasn't coached a game yet. First thought when I heard about Fargo though was how much I wish the timing would have worked out for her to apply for the Elmira job. Great girl.
          I knew Kivi had just been hired at Marian. The situation and timing reminds me of 2006 when then assistant Plumer left Bowdoin in the spring to take the Amherst job only to have head coach Amidon leave Bowdoin a couple of months later. I have always wondered if Plumer would have taken the Polar Bears to greater glories than they have subsequently managed?

Comment

ahhh...pretty obvious answer there...."Yes"

[unless you think Wilson was the catsballs]

Comment

Congratulations are in order to Jillian Kirchner who has been hired as assistant coach to Rob Morgan at St. Norbert's in Green Bay. She will be a great addition to the program. Jillian is a graduate of Boston University and an Illinois native.

Comment

Does it strike anybody else as strange that Greg Fargo still has no contact information listed at Colgate more than a month after the announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  Does it strike anybody else as strange that Greg Fargo still has no contact information listed at Colgate more than a month after the announcement?
                  And that Elmira still has his contact info listed?

Comment

Finlandia -

http://www.fulions.com/news/2012/3/2...x?path=general

Comment

• Re: Coaching vacancies 2012

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                      this was announced in March...

Comment

Elmira is looking for a new men's assistant.

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/4826642

Wonder if EC's Dean Jackson is going the route of Plattsburgh Kevin Houle. Long time men's assistant, then rakes the reigns of the women's program.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Dean Jackson '03 will indeed be the fourth head coach in the Elmira College Women's Hockey program's 12 year history.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by tragicallyhip View Post
                            this was announced in March...
                            Yes, I agree but it was not very well publicized. Just an update is all from old news.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
                              Yes, I agree but it was not very well publicized. Just an update is all from old news.
                              Its Finlandia - a story on their website is sufficient.

Comment

Amherst???

Comment

Working...
                                X